Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Ruler Of Evil

Racism + Gothic Culture/Subculture

Hello, I am a bit new here. But I am here to learn a bit about "Gothic culture", I guess if that's an expression you will let me use to describe people who participate in this culture. But one thing is in the back of my mind.

I've read and heard (via rumors of course) of how many racists - particularly Vanilla skin racists - claim Goth culture/people/etc. as their own; they make it appear that Goths are all from European ancestry and are racist.

In my opinion, this perspective fed to me seems a bit false. But can anybody explain how this association w/ racism came to be? And second, what exactly is "Goth Culture" then?

Any input helps.

CheerS!

-RoE

PS: I am not a Goth, but I do think some Goth Women are hot!!!!!
Ruler Of Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
Alaizabel Cray

That sterotype is just that--a stereotype, as you already seem to have figured out on your own. I'm not sure where they came from exactly, but I assume that since many modern Goths have pale complexions, and that the Goths (not the subculture) were in Europe, it would probably seem to make sense to some people that Goths are therefore prejudiced against anyone without the light skin that they have.

The definition of "Goth culture" sort of depends on who you ask. But in general, a Goth sees beauty in the darker side of things, and has an appreciation for the darkness that most are unwilling to accept. No, this obsession with the dark does not mean that all Goths are Satanic, however plenty are. There are also many Goths who don't even believe in Satan, and an equal amount who are Christian and other religions. There is more to Gothism than just liking dark things, but I am really exhausted right now and I don't want to accidentally say something way off and start a war. If looking around Gnet doesn't help you much, I would suggest Googling it, you might find some interesting things.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Ummmmm sweetheart you need to go introduve yourself in the introductions section before you post something. And I know people who are black and Goth. It doesn't matter what the hell other people think. Think deeper into this one.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #4

The Voodoo priests want to talk to you.
As for goth culture, you will have to look for and ask a real goth.
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
Alaizabel Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorek Thurr
Blacks are real goths because they have black skin. That makes them even more goth.
That was pretty tasteless, dude.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
cradle

Quote:
Blacks are real goths because they have black skin. That makes them even more goth.
Dude...that was wrong...

im starting to think you're erasmus....
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #7
Crying_Crimson_Tears

Yes, that was very wrong. I agree with cradle. That was wrong. Completely unnecessary man.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Ruler Of Evil

Well, I noticed that the light/pale complexion is prevalent in Europe, especially in Northern Europe where there isn't that much sunlight. So I figure that's why many White Racist Organizations would want to be "Gothic" (i.e. - light white skin + being European). But even though the association between Goth and Racism is a stereotype, has anybody here been called/identified with being a racist/prejudice even though you yourself are not?

Second, that black comment thing was really dry. You're nuts. ;-)

And third, Crying_Crimson_Tears, I sorta introduced myself in the other board.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:56 AM   #9
Ruler Of Evil

No, I do not have anything against black citizens. I just found it odd that you made that comment. I thought being "Dark" was more than being skin deep.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
bunnicula

I have always heard of racism being associated with the punk subculture, but not gothic. Although the gothic subculture grew out of the punk scene- maybe that is the connection.
bunnicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
Delkaetre

Punks- except nazi punks, for the most part punks are pretty anti-racist. And there's a Dead Kennedys song that neatly encompasses the view of nazi punks.
Goths- like all subcultures, there's a few racist twits. Most of us are pretty okay with race and appearance. Huge black guy was at the last Cornucopia, and the only comment he got was "Wow- that's really really nice hair". (Had tight black plaits all the way down to his waist. Such nice hair.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
Alaizabel Cray

Quote:
Now why was that wrong? I'm putting the blacks above us by saying that. They are more goth then we are.
SInce when has being Goth had to do wiht appearance? I think most people here will agree with me when I say that Goth is a mindset, a lifestyle, not an appearance. Although there is an appearance that many adopt, it doesn't make them any more or less Goth than anyone else. It's the way you think and what's inside of you that really matters.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
Delkaetre

Aye... goth's more than the look. It's the music, the people, the slightly skewed sense of humour. If you put appearance ahead of who and what you are then... well, you're probably not actually a goth but are instead a spookykid or trend-hopper.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #14
Alaizabel Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre
If you put appearance ahead of who and what you are then... well, you're probably not actually a goth but are instead a spookykid or trend-hopper.
My sentiments exactly.