Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
Treyonator56

Sellouts

Does anyone know some bands that have "sold out"? Selling out is when you change your style of music, just to get some more people to listen to your music. I think Greenday did it when they released their 21st Century Breakdown album. THat album sucks...HARD! Another band that could have sold out would be Metallica, They used to be calm rock a while ago, now they're more into thrash....Can anyone else think of some other bands that people would describe as "sellouts"? =P
Treyonator56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
CarrionCorpse

Eventually every bands style of music goes through some form of change.
There are very few that stay the same through the years.

Slipknot, Mudvayne, System of a Down, Cradle of Filth, Marilyn Manson, Evanescence, Seether, Apocalyptica... Any band on the radio or that gets big changes.

Even TOOL and Deftones have underwent some change. They're still good though.
It isn't ALWAYS selling out.
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Ben Lahnger

Don't feed the (trollish or idiotic) entity.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #4
Treyonator56

There is a difference between "trolling" or starting a conversation...I hope you know that, or else you are truly pathetic...
Old 03-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
MissCheyenne

Ummm......Metallica were a thrash band to start with or at least aiming to be a thrash band.

'Selling out' is just a bullshit term. So what if a band changes their style? At the end of the day, selling records, going on tour, making fans happy IS THEIR JOB. They don't sell records? Then they don't get paid. Not every artist has a sweet back catalouge to earn royalties from, change is sometimes good and often needed.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyonator56 View Post
Does anyone know some bands that have "sold out"? Selling out is when you change your style of music, just to get some more people to listen to your music. I think Greenday did it when they released their 21st Century Breakdown album. THat album sucks...HARD! Another band that could have sold out would be Metallica, They used to be calm rock a while ago, now they're more into thrash....Can anyone else think of some other bands that people would describe as "sellouts"? =P
Green Day has always sucked. Period.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #7
Treyonator56

Haha, The only song I like by them was....I don't even remember....=/
Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
ape descendant

Maynard says it best.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #9
CarrionCorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
CarrionCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Mr.Doobie

Quote:
Another band that could have sold out would be Metallica, They used to be calm rock a while ago, now they're more into thrash....
WOW. There are so many things wrong with that statement it is almost amazing.

Part of me knows that you're a troll, but another part hopes that you're honestly this dumb.

Quote:
I think Greenday did it when they released their 21st Century Breakdown album. THat album sucks...HARD!
1) You're about seven years too late for the Green Day hate. Srsly. They sold out when they released American Idiot. Get it right.

2) 21st Century Breakdown is one of the best albums they've made. It takes everything that felt sloppy or rushed or half-assed about American Idiot and improves on it. I mean, the story makes no fucking sense, but I dare you to find a rock opera with a plot that does make sense.

They'll probably never make another Dookie but whatever. They're still awesome.

Quote:
Can anyone else think of some other bands that people would describe as "sellouts"?
"Selling out" is something only snotty little teenage hipsters and/or scene queens give a damn about. Saying "selling out" is their way of saying "my favorite band actually became good so I can't listen to them anymore."
Mr.Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
Treyonator56

Dude...flame.....
Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Llyallowyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Gotta love Maynard <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Doobie View Post
WOW. There are so many things wrong with that statement it is almost amazing.

Part of me knows that you're a troll, but another part hopes that you're honestly this dumb.

1) You're about seven years too late for the Green Day hate. Srsly. They sold out when they released American Idiot. Get it right.

2) 21st Century Breakdown is one of the best albums they've made. It takes everything that felt sloppy or rushed or half-assed about American Idiot and improves on it. I mean, the story makes no fucking sense, but I dare you to find a rock opera with a plot that does make sense.

They'll probably never make another Dookie but whatever. They're still awesome.

"Selling out" is something only snotty little teenage hipsters and/or scene queens give a damn about. Saying "selling out" is their way of saying "my favorite band actually became good so I can't listen to them anymore."
Selling out really is just that, a bunch of whiny kids who realized their bands got good and can't stand it. It is only natural for the bands to change with the times and personal experiences, so I have never bought into that brand of hatred. Selling out, to me, is when a band decides to start gouging fans for money instead of playing for themselves and their fans. Yes, there is a difference between making a living and being greedy.
Llyallowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Grausamkeit

Heh, Metallica was 'calm' and Maynard speaks wisdom instead of bullshit?
Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #14
Llyallowyn

I wouldn't say the man [Maynard] is wise, but I enjoy listening to him rant and sing. In that song, he says that he had to sell out to get a record deal, and that is true throughout much of the industry. I wouldn't equate stating the truth with wisdom, though.
Llyallowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #15
erotomaniac87

A lot of bands are considered sellouts these days. To a lot of people, a band is a sellout once they get signed and become much more mainstream and well-known.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
Grausamkeit

I've only heard of 'selling out' in the context of a band/musician compromising their musical style in order to 'make it big'. It's fine for a band to make money, we want the musicians that we like to be able to pay their bills. I've never heard a bad album from Judas Priest, Queen or Iron Maiden and they're all mainstream bands. Being 'mainstream' isn't what automatically makes something bad, although a shit ton of mainstream bads are what I consider 'bad'.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
erotomaniac87

Correct. Being mainstream isn't necessarily something bad, but from what I've seen and heard, a lot of people hate when their favorite independent bands try to make it big. A lot of people associate it with being "in it for the money," not the music, and therefore consider them sellouts. I, personally, don't mind if my favorite bands try to "make it big," but it seems like other people do; you wouldn't believe all the bitching I've witnessed.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
erotomaniac87

Obviously, in order for bands to make more money, they should also consider tweaking their sound, in order to appeal to the masses. It all boils down to what you said, Grausamkeit.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #19
Grausamkeit

I just think it's funny when people listen to bands they consider 'underground' that were always trying to break through to get radio play.

Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, Bauhaus, no post-punk act ever tried to get air time, right? No way!

Silly buggers.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #20
Sinjob

Thumbs down

Quote:
Definetly every goth band that was around in the late 70s/early 80s.

But, D4WG, are you fo real?
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #21
M.Valdemar

[quote=Grausamkeit;668952]I've only heard of 'selling out' in the context of... I've never heard a bad album from Judas Priest, Queen or Iron Maiden and they're all mainstream bands....

I've never said it better myself. Up the Irons!

So, what does eveyone think of Crowley?

(in the context of Dickinson, not Maiden, of course)
M.Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote