Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Falken

Syd Barrett, dead at age 60

Really quite a shame... sad to hear as a Pink Floyd fan...

Syd Barrett dies aged 60

Syd Barrett, the former lead singer of Pink Floyd and one of the key figures of the 60s, has died at the Cambridgeshire home to which he retreated as a recluse more than 30 years ago.
The Guardian has learned that the singer, 60, who suffered from a psychedelic-drug induced breakdown while at the peak of his career, died last Friday from cancer.

His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Born Roger Keith Barrett in Cambridge in 1946, he acquired the nickname Syd aged 15. He left Pink Floyd in 1968, just as the band was about to achieve worldwide recognition, and lived in the basement of his mother Winfred's semi-detached house, where he boarded up the windows to keep out the eyes of both the press and fans. He recorded two solo albums.
Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond, from the 1975 album Wish You Were Here, was said by many to be a salute to him. Barrett's use of drugs, particularly LSD, in the 60s, was well-documented and he was often described as the original acid casualty.

A statement issued on behalf of Pink Floyd said: "The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

Dave Gilmour, the Pink Floyd guitarist drafted in to the band during a period in which Barrett was behaving erratically, said in an interview earlier this year that he thought that Barrett's breakdown would have happened anyway.

He said: "It was a deep-rooted thing. But I'll say the psychedelic experience might well have acted as a catalyst. Still, I just don't think he could deal with the vision of success and all the things that went with it."
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
DrenchedInGin

Also a Floyd fan - very sad news. We've been playing 'Piper' all morning in tribute. 60 is waaaay too young. Shine on...
DrenchedInGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
Dreaming Vendetta

It’s sad to see him go. I too am a Pink Floyd fan and have been listening to "Wish You Were Here" in memory of a truly talented artist.
Dreaming Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:34 AM   #4
Lady Victoria Pareesis

I wouldn't dream of calling me a true Pink Floyd fan, but I loved their music enough to feel sad today.
Sixty is far too early to die.

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
Terry Pratchett
Lady Victoria Pareesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #5
cradle

Meh,,,I don't really even listen to Pink Floyd, but knowing how popular they are, it made me sad when I read it.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
critterkhan

I also am a Pink Floyd fan. I shall mourn the loss to creativity as a whole. It's striking how one of it's members have gone completely insane, when a lot of their songs touched on insanity. Amongst the other songs I will be listing to in remembrance... I will dedicate one to the once living part of Syd... The Trial.
critterkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle
Meh,,,I don't really even listen to Pink Floyd, but knowing how popular they are, it made me sad when I read it.

although I did like the song money
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
critterkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradle
although I did like the song money
Money was one of their worst (saying that, it is still better than most psychedelic rock of it's day)... Their other achievements were so much greater!
critterkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
bedlam babe

Did any of you listen the NPR 'memorial show' of Syd Barrett? I thought it was good.
bedlam babe is offline   Reply With Quote