Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
Setaareh

Eyeliner worries

Hi everyone! I've been having some difficulties finding the right eyeliner for me and so I'm looking for a little poke in the right direction as I have no idea. So basically, I have medium brown eyes that get a little more yellowish occasionally when they feel like it, and dark, thick, Middle Eastern eyebrows. Most eyeliners make me look like a raccoon because of this, and I have trouble finding a good one, I'm not sure whether to use liquid or pencil and what brand. Any and all help will be appreciated. =D
Setaareh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
LakitaJackson

If you're not good with eyeliner, start off with pencil. Once you get better, you can switch to liquid.

I'm guessing you put it on too thick, and probably underneath your eyes if it makes you look like a raccoon, so...don't do that. Stick to the waterline.

Also, I'm guessing you have brown skin, so unfortunately you'll have to stick to black if you want it to be noticeable. White could work too, but most people I know can't put it on right.

This chick does eyeliner right:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJRSDS6g1lY
LakitaJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
LadyVye

You may also want to experiment with eyeshadow. I find it easier to apply than liquid liner and has the same effect. Take a very thin make-up brush and wet it. Then rub it on the eyeshadow and apply. This looks good and you get a huge range of colors.
LadyVye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
honeythorn

I agree start with an ordinary black pencil liner if you're not used to applying it evenly. Rimmel is a bog standard brand and fine to use.

Make sure to rest your elbow on something.

If using pencil liner, I find a good trick is to very gently pull the outer corner of your eye sideways towards your temple to stretch the skin just a very little . I found this made applying pencil a little easier when I started.

For liquid, again this is my own personal choice, but I perfer liquid liners with the short pointed spongy nib type of applicator. I've found the brush types to be too thin and flicky. I always make mistakes with that type so I avoid them. The sponge nib seems to give more control.

You could also try a cake liner. This is solid block eyeliner that looks like an eyeshadow at first glance, but what you do is take a brush ( I always use a short fne artists watercolour brush ) dampen it in a little water, and swish it back and forth across the liner to get a good coat on the brush. Then apply in the same way as you would a liquid liner. Benefit is a good brand.

I use cake liner for really fine lines and the very small patterns I sometimes have a fancy to do in the outer corners .

Applying a small amount of white liner or a dab of white eyeshaow in the inner corner of your eye ( dont get it on your tearduct unless you like eye infections ) will help make the black liner stand out, and give the effect of opening your eye up.

Above all. practice makes perfect. Don't try to rush. and don't apply too much under the eye or you will indeed have the racoon effect.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Lord Whiskerton

I usually just use an eyeliner pencil on my lower eye lid because liquid eyeliner smudges easily. You should apply the eyeliner as close to your eyelashes as possible. If you get better at applying eyeliner, you should use liquid eyeliner on your upper eyelid.

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Ophelia's Snorkel

You've had the best advice possible so far, and the only suggestion I can add is about your eyebrows. You say they're thick and add to the problematic raccoon effect. Consider plucking/waxing and shaping them. It will really only be a hassle the first time; after that it's merely maintenance. This may open up a lot of eyeliner and eyeshadow options for you.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Setaareh

thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm actually going makeup shopping today and I'll be sure to pick up a good eyeliner pencil since the ones I own at the moment don't draw at all. About the eyebrows bit, I have shaped/waxed/plucked them nearly into oblivion (well, kind of, almost) its just that I can't go too thin or it will be out of proportion to the rest of me. I'll be sure to rest my elbow on something, I haven't tried that yet (bathroom counter goes up to my upper thigh-ish area -_-) Once again, thanks for all the help! =)
Setaareh is offline   Reply With Quote