Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 AM   #26
Cicero

Everything I know about Scientologists and Mormons I learnt from that show - and the information is surprisingly accurate. I consider South Park an entertaining education.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
HellforgedX

"Welcome to the Plane-arium."
Old 08-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #28
The_Screaming_Whisper

I LOVE South Park!!!! Cartman is the SHIT!!!!!!!!!
The_Screaming_Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #29
Tristanna

I LOVE south park too , it never fails to make me smile. Cripple fight episode is amazing and the one about protesting the war to make America look ok is genius!
Tristanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 AM   #30
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
How so? I'm genuinely curious.
Well, mixed in with a lot of gross-out humour (a little too much for my taste in series 1-3, with I don't place much value on), it deals with some very pertinent issues. Cicero already mentioned Scientology and Mormons, and the accuracy of the info provided. But it also satirizes things like voter apathy (in which Stan is exiled for refusing to vote between a giant douche and a turd sandwich, before being told "but kid didn't you know? It's ALWAYS between a fiant douche and a turd sandwich"), the functions that Iraq war supporters and protestors perform for the USA as a whole in "I'm a little bit country", it takes the piss out of the excessive state of political correctness the country has fallen into in "The death-camp of tolerance" and "With apologies to Jesse Jackson", and the American certainty that all Iraqis apart from al Quaeda are on our side in "Osama bin Laden has farty pants". Also the victim mentality addicts are sometimes forced into or choose to adopt in "Bloody mary". This is just off the top of my head, there are a lot more. It's more intelligent than you might think from some of the poorer episodes.

I think Cartman represents the dark side of right-wing America, like he hates Jews (oh "The passion of the jew" is great too), rips on Token for being black and Kenny for being poor, and it's his life's dream to make a million dollars. He's also very astute and ruthless at business and very manipulative, especially where money is concerned. In "Scott Tenorman must die" he wrecks a kid's life for stinging him for twenty dollars.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #31
TopHaggardDoll

I adore South Park. I love the episode where everyone mistakes Stan for being psychic.

One of the best characters in that show is Stan's dad. Always so over dramatic and you can actually believe there are people like that around.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 AM   #32
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
I adore South Park. I love the episode where everyone mistakes Stan for being psychic.

One of the best characters in that show is Stan's dad. Always so over dramatic and you can actually believe there are people like that around.
And he does the best crying EVER!!

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #33
MaguMan

Quote:
They poke a lot of holes in popular culture and recent news media. Example being an episode that was a parody of the reaction to Hurricane Katrina:

Small town gets flooded and in a evening news report about it, the anchor explains: "The death toll in this town is estimated at being well over 20,000 people dead. And only with a population of about 800, it's expected to be very devastating on the local townspeople."

There are hundreds of these types of allegories that do a great job in pointing out the ridiculousness of a swath of subjects and events, ranging from Global Warming to racial tolerance and homosexuality.
MaguMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #34
Alexander IV

I love southpark
Its so funny
My Favorite Character is tweek hes so cute
And my fav ep is the one where the go to Afganastain to give those kids back the goat (funny stuff)

Also the goth kids ep
Alexander IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #35
Opteron_Man

Talking

i laughed my ass off at the episode with the "Hardly Boys" in it!
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #36
Rosie

No, most jokes are dumb shit as hell if you actually look into them. Matt and Trey want you to believe they're intelligent and deep so they can spread their BS. But in reality they never have a clue on the social/political issues they're commenting on. The transsexual episode was unforgivably disgusting.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneet
My personal favorite was 'The Goth Kids' episode. I love that show because, even though many claim that the writers mock the right-wing less, they are in fact the real equal-opportunity offenders. I appreciate shows with content, and not just silly humor.
They aren't. It's the other way around - they claim to be equal opportunity offenders, but some things they make fun of for what they are(scientology) and other things they take a horribly offensive and sometimes even dangerous stereotype and enforce it(the transsexual episode).

This is why South Park annoys the fuck out of me, it has an amazing defense mechanism. If anyone disagrees with the way they do things, it's "Just humour", or you don't get that they offend everyone equally(they don't).
Old 12-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #38
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Everything I know about Scientologists and Mormons I learnt from that show - and the information is surprisingly accurate. I consider South Park an entertaining education.
This is the thing! People claim it's just humour so NOBODY will learn anything from it, but somewhere here has just upped and admitted to it.

Most of the information used in South Park couldn't be more inaccurate. Most of the nonsense they spout on transsexuals, atheists, and yes, even goth kids, is just made up from re-inforcing misconceptions america already has.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #39
MariusCesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Both of those episodes cracked me up. Scientology took the cake for that. I mean it was started as a joke by a science fiction writer and then just snow balled. You have to have a lot of suspension of disbelief and faith in them Thetans to stay involved with taht and become "clear".

The Mormon faith has to be a close second. It's hard to believe why or how the lost tribes of Israel would be able to make it to North America during the time of Abraham. No archealogical evidence of that was ever been found. But to be fair, I am sure that Joseph Smith, the founder of the church had a genuine and powerful mystical vision which compelled him to be a church builder.

One of the most funniest and brutal episodes I've ever seen was that "Scott Tenorman Must Die" The revenge was totally sweet on that one.

"Oh, the tears of unfathomable sadness! My-ymmuy" - Eric Cartman
MariusCesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:38 PM   #40
Mir

Quote:
I must admit that I love the show. I suggest you watch an episode called "Raisins" from Season 7. This is the one where Wendy breaks up with Stanley and he joins a group of Goths. The writers poke fun at non-conformacy etc. Southpark is crude, but it is funny and can be a very clever show at times.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #41
Rosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mir
I must admit that I love the show. I suggest you watch an episode called "Raisins" from Season 7. This is the one where Wendy breaks up with Stanley and he joins a group of Goths. The writers poke fun at non-conformacy etc. Southpark is crude, but it is funny and can be a very clever show at times.
But they have the most retarded reasons for doing so and methods for doing it. People make the mistake of thinking they're only making fun of "Some" goths with that; they're not. It's not clever. It's just like they take all the retarded misconceptions from Encyclopedia Dramatica nad put it into a show.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #42
DeathChii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
But they have the most retarded reasons for doing so and methods for doing it. People make the mistake of thinking they're only making fun of "Some" goths with that; they're not. It's not clever. It's just like they take all the retarded misconceptions from Encyclopedia Dramatica nad put it into a show.
I love encyclopedia dramatica, I think you need a sense of humour.
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #43
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie
So what? I can watch the episode in question and laugh at the Sp00ky Kids Stan hangs out with. I can watch it and give Trey and Matt props for putting a "Blauhaus" poster in Goth Girl Henrietta's room. Maybe Trey and Matt do think all Goths are like their characters, but I don't give a shit. I still respect them for the good work they do with their show because people like us can prove the misconceptions wrong while still laughing at the posers.

Besides, through the character of Butters, the creators give a very important - if one-sided - message at the end of the episode: Butters tells Stan that we all go through hard times in our lives and that the best thing to do is grow some balls and grow stronger because/in spite of it. Or, in Butters' words, "I'd rather be a pussy than a f*aggy goth kid," which, although incorrect terminology was used there, has some merit.

And yeah, I think it goes without saying that I am an avid "South Park" fan. Watching Robert Smith kill Barbara Streisand and Jennifer Lopez working at a Taco Bell ripoff is very satisfying.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM   #44
Necrotansy

Like they said about themselves - It's preachy...something something... Too much preaching, not enough good jokes.
Necrotansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #45
schoolsucksletsanarky

Towlie is a funny episode. Always remember to bring a towl... Wanna get high?
schoolsucksletsanarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #46
schoolsucksletsanarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll

I think you mean cartman
schoolsucksletsanarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #47
Devil's Darling

Love South Park :X
"Bastards...They Killed Kenny!"
Devil's Darling is offline   Reply With Quote