Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Saya

Ghost Stories!

I looked and couldn't find a thread about this already, at least for the type of ghost stories I'm talking about. Not actual first hand encounters with the dead, but strange and scary stories you've heard. I've recently been trying to collect as many local ghost stories as I could, and its something I'm very interested in. But I'd like to hear things from outside Newfoundland, and share some of our stories as well. So please, share any ghost stories at all, whether you heard about it as a kid or read about it a few days ago. Can include anything supernatural, not necessarily ghosts. May be witches, fairies or vampires, who cares. The only rules are is that its not something you made up yourself and please try to avoid a common urban legend.

Probably my favourite ghost story that I like to tell people is about an actual criminal case that took place here in Newfoundland, in 1872. Patrick Morrissey of Harbour's Grace swore under oath that he came face to face with the ghost of a murder victim.

On November 20, 1871 Patrick Geehan shot his wife and bludgeoned his brother in law (Garrett Sears) to death at the Geehan Farm in Harbour Grace. Johanna Hamilton helped Geehan hide the bodies and cover up the murders.

According to court records, Morrissey testified that he saw Sears several days after the murder took place and before murder had been suspected. He said "I saw the man coming down the road, his face was pale, he looked queer. I got frightened, I said to myself, let Garrett Sears be dead or alive, that is him." He saw the man walk down to the Geehan farm. "When I met Geehan the next day, I asked him if that was Sears who went into his house last night." Geehan's head dropped and he answered "Sears didn't go down the road last night....unless he went down dead."

What is also interesting is that when they found Sears's grave, his hand was reaching out of the ground.

I read that story in Beyond the Grave by Jack Fitzgerald.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Deadmanwalking_05

I've heard a few things from family and friends through the years....would that help?
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
Saya

Yup! Just any anecdote you might have heard or read about.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Deadmanwalking_05

My grandmother told me a story from when she was a little girl,it was about her mother and father,after my great granddad went out for a time on the town (think 1930'-40's) the only transport in those days were horses and mules (Very poor rural Eastern Kentucky)The only roads then were dirt and gravel ,but most of the time they traveled through the creeks.

The story goes that my great grand mother was busy trying to hold my Great grandfather (Who was reported to be drunk off his ass) on the Mule,they were cursing back and fourth when something jumped on the back of their mount and tried to pull them off,they began to pray,after after a half hour they felt the thing jump off ,the Mule broke like a bat out of hell for home,they got off the mule and put it in the barn,my Great granddad looked "Old Bill" over and found scratches on it's hind quarters,three deep gouges on each side.

Needless to say they didn't bother going out at night without a lantern or pistol.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
pijanbalkan

A friend of mine told me a story that happened to him a few years ago.

When he was younger there was a room at school which was always locked and the kids used to tell the usual tales about monsters or undead pupils living there......

What was inside the room was concealed by old newspapers glued to the windows. Anyway, one day, as my friend was passing in front of the room, he saw light moving inside and rumbling sounds.

As the door was closed from the outside,noone could have entered there and locked himself in the room.

Looking through a hole in the paper covering the window, the guy saw that there really was someone who looked very pale and had the face of his dead grandfather..
pijanbalkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
JCC

GHOSTS AREN'T REAL. GHOST STORIES ARE CLICHÉ SUPERNATURAL BULLSHIT THAT MAKE NO SENSE.

Jeez.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Deadmanwalking_05

People have called me crazy but I have had a close encounter with something that couldn't have been of this world, I try to keep an open mind while at the same time I do try to debunk some stuff as just over imagination,stress, or in my case massive head truma,which could explain what I saw and fought in the middle of the road.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
JCC

You didn't see or fight anything in the middle of the road because ghosts are about as likely to exist as pixies.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Deadmanwalking_05

If you notice I'm not holding up one point over the other,I mentioned that it could've been the result of my head smacking against a couple tons of steel,but I also can't say that it didn't happen,I just know what I saw.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
GHOSTS AREN'T REAL. GHOST STORIES ARE CLICHÉ SUPERNATURAL BULLSHIT THAT MAKE NO SENSE.

Jeez.
Just because a story isn't true doesn't mean its not worth listening to. I don't take this stuff to be true myself, but I find it highly amusing, especially on nights when exchanging stories with friends and we all creep ourselves out. Its a part of folklore as well, at my university there's a whole course you can do about ghost stories. And its also the reason why I asked for second hand accounts, not first hand. There was a thread already I do believe for people who actually believe they came into contact with ghosts.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be a party pooper :P
Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
pijanbalkan

yeah, usually there is even a logical explanation. For instance the story my friend told to me (which i told you too) can be explained by the fact that the guy was young and under the shock of having seen his grandfather.......
and it's not because something doesn't exist you can't speak about it (i suppose you DO read fictions sometimes????)
pijanbalkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
Saya

Me and my roommate had a discussion today. She's normally not a superstitious person, so it was a big surprise to me. Anyway, around here people fear fairies. Mostly its the older people, so I'm surprised when I meet someone my age who believes in them. Its not something talked about a lot though because apparently if you talk about them, you attract them.

So my roommate tells me she's afraid there's fairies in our apartment, because this morning she searched her room high and low for her hairbrush, and couldn't find it. So she got out her tiny travel brush and started drying her hair, and when she was done she put the travel brush down, only to find the missing hair brush at her feet. Fairies were not a big thing in my community but she explained in her town that sort of thing happens a lot, things go missing suddenly and after you give up looking for them, you find them in places you KNOW they weren't before. Its blamed on fairies playing games with you. Of course since talking about them is taboo (Unless its a Tuesday for some reason?) she wouldn't elaborate further.

She also talked about another fear she had, of the White Lady. Now its a very very common story and a lot of different towns have their own White Lady. In mine it was that the White Lady was a bride who got stood up at the altar, so she jumped off a cliff, and they say you can see her ghost on the anniversary of her suicide. My roommate said that where she's from the White Lady's lover went away to war, and she'd look out to sea day after day waiting for him to come back, and he never did, so she jumped off. The reason she's afraid of her is because the story is if you are driving alone at night around that area, and you look in the rear view mirror, you'll see her sitting in the back seat of your car. She says she doesn't really believe in the story but she always got scared when she was driving alone at night, and too afraid to look in the rear view mirror. I don't really blame her there, I was once in a car at night around that area and its a creepy place, there's a big stretch of road that is really twisted and the woods seem to close in on you, and of course there's no street lights or anything.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #13
Wednesday Friday Addams

We Need A Creepy Pasta Thread!!!
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Saya

What do you know about the Creepy Pasta?!!! TELL ME.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #15
Deadmanwalking_05

If you want weird,check this out.

After my wreck happened on September 12th of 2005
(Third year is comming up) ,two other riders have been killed in that same section of road,personaly I think it was luck of the draw in my case,I wasn't wearing a helmet,nothing protective,just the clothes on my back,the other two were wearing helmets and riding gear,they died at the scene,and neither were going as fast.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
We Need A Creepy Pasta Thread!!!
After actually googling Creepy Pasta, I concur! *Going off now to look at Creepy Pasta websites*
Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Diana Ross.

The end.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
TurquoiseXx

Man, tonight was freaky. I was out with 8 people including my brother and a few friends. We went in our cars by this area that had old houses that were occupied since the 1800's. There was also a dock and bay nearby. Although my brothers friends family owns most of the property, something about it was unsettling.

We parked our cars and went outside and watched the lightning pass through the sky. There were boats nearby and two of the girls with us went near them, and one started to scream and said that she saw someone. So I started to freak out and kept looking around, there was no one. A few moments pass and we see lighting far off in the distance. By that same boat, I saw this big white thick line the size of a human flash by and then it went away.

I screamed and the next thing you know, everyone was running towards my car screaming, trying to get in. Two people ended up falling and while I was getting in my car, I lost my balance and grabbed on to my friends boob on accident (lol). After that, I couldn't stop panicking. Everyone seemed pretty calm afterwards, except me. So we eventually ended up leaving and went somewhere else. I don't know if that other girl and I were seeing things or not tonight, but it sure messed me up at the time lol.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #19
TurquoiseXx

Darn, I didn't read all the rules! *facepalm* I wanted to delete my post but it's too late. Sorry about that.
TurquoiseXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
Jaye Jang

Saya, check out this web site. There are ghost stories from around the world, including American, Native American and Hawaiian ghost stories.

Have fun.

http://www.americanfolklore.net/spooky-stories.html
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #21
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseXx
Darn, I didn't read all the rules! *facepalm* I wanted to delete my post but it's too late. Sorry about that.
I'm not that fussy ^_^ I enjoyed reading it anyway.

And thanks Jaye Jang! I've been to this website before but haven't really looked that far into it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #22
Jaye Jang

Cool

Okay, I know I'm going to get dissed for this. So be it. Last year, at this time, I took my girl and a friend up to Silver City, which requires a 4-by (4-wheel drive). Silver City is a mountain 'ghost town' that is intact enough that some of the old street signs and street lights are still there. I posted the website, which contains a virtual tour.

http://www.historicsilvercityidaho.com/

If you look at the large white three-story building, that is the Idaho Hotel. It is over 180 years old and is full of really cool antiques. It contains a telegraph office and the local 'hoosegow', (holding cell for the jail in case the sheriff was out of town). Upstairs is the 'haunted room', where purportedly a shootout took place in the 1800's. You can still see blood spatters on the wallpaper. The lights reportedly go out by themselves in that room, as, allegedly, one of the hotel staff hanged herself there. This is on the third floor.

If you look at the pictures, our rooms were on the second floor overlooking the front porch, on the left.

Now, first of all, I don't believe in ghosts. I would like to think there is some scientific explanation for all of this. However...

Our story: We sat on the balcony overlooking the timeless Owyhee Mountains. We counted the stars, and found the Big Dipper and Polaris -- the north star. We listened to the cowpokes and local folks yipping it up in the saloon down the street. Then we went to bed. We slept on andiron beds that had been slept in by cowboys, dance hall girls and banditoes. The beds, of course, creaked. My girl and I curled up on the larger of the two beds, while 'bro' (one of our goth 'adoptees') slept in the other room on the smaller, creakier, bed.

My story: Around 2 a.m. I heard someone come into 'bro's' room and slam the door open, hard enough to make the walls rattle. I wondered why my daughter did not hear it and wake up, as it certainly woke me up. I wondered if 'bro' was okay. I got up to check. When I went into his room, he was gone, obviously in the bathroom. I thought about telling him to open and close the doors more quietly, so he did not wake the other guests up. I went back to bed. As I was drifting off to sleep, I heard someone walking around in 'bro's' room. They were wearing hard-soled cowboy boots -- with spurs. (Cowboy boots have a distinctive sound, as the older ones had wooden soles). I remembered that 'bro' was wearing sneakers. I went back to see if one of the cowpokes had broken into 'bro's' room, with the intention of maybe stealing his wallet. There was no one there.....

My girl's story: The next morning, I awoke to the sunshine spilling in through ancient lace curtains. The sunlight played on the wallpaper. A light breeze from the window tousled my hair. I turned over. My girl was sitting stock still, shivering. I asked her if she was cold. She said, "What do you think? Heck yeah, I'm cold, after last night." I asked her what happened. She told me that at around 3 a.m. she had heard someone walking around in our room, in hard-soled shoes. Since she was wearing sandals and 'bro' wore sneakers, she thought it was me, as I was the only one of the three of us who wore boots. She sat up in bed to tell me to be quieter, so I did not wake up the other guests in the hotel. She looked over at my side of the bed and I was there -- fast asleep. That scared her. She concluded that one of the cowpokes must have broken into our room with the intention of stealing our wallets. Being a CSI (crime scene investigator), in training, she gamely resolved to confront the intruder. She stated, unequivocally, that when she got up she saw a woman standing at the end of the bed. The woman had her hair in a topknot, and she was wearing a Victorian-style dress and high-topped shoes. My girls states, emphatically, that what 'spooked' her was that she could see THROUGH the woman and out the window behind her. She dove back under the covers and hid under the pillows until the sun came up....

Bro's story: The next morning, after showering in the same showers used, conceivably, by our 'ghosts', we went down to the guest room and ate breakfast at the same log tables used by cowboys, 'greenhorns' (rookie cowboys) and 'redbones' (light-skinned Native Americans). We had the usual cowboy breakfast of flapjacks and hard tack bread. We told 'bro' about our 'adventures' and asked him if he had had anything happen in his room. ('Bro' is a computer programmer/social work major, and of a strictly scientific bent). Our scholarly bud had this to tell: At 2 a.m. he had gone down to the bathroom -- quietly --so as not to wake the other guests. He had then gone out onto the balcony for awhile, as he was having trouble sleeping on the creaky old bed. He finally went back to bed at about 2:30 a.m. At 3 a.m., he was awakened by someone walking around in our room. He thought it was me, as the person was WEARING HARD-SOLED SHOES. He started to get up and ask me to be quieter, so he could get back to sleep. He heard my girl get up and figured she would take care of it, so he went back to sleep. He told us he never heard any of the other noises, (i.e. the door slamming or the spurs jingling) -- but he clearly heard our 'Victorian intruder'....
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #23
Saya

I was told a pretty scary story tonight, and while it may not scare you, since I think we can agree that some stories require a very good story teller, I'd like to share it anyway.

So my friend Robert came over and we started talking about ghost stories. He tells me the only thing he's ever encountered was at a friends house. There was one particular room, the spare bedroom, that everyone was afraid to sleep in. So once while over at his friends house, they decided to play a prank on this other friend Andrew. Andrew is afraid of a toy clown they have, one that if you twists its nose its plays Pop Goes The Weasel. So they call Andrew, twists the clowns nose, Andrew freaks out, hangs up, they laugh, and they then lock the clown in the toy trunk then lock the door to the storage room.

That night when Robert was sleeping in the spare bedroom, he fell off the bed...When he hit the floor all he heard was Pop Goes The Weasel, and he looks over and there the clown is under his bed.

.....All I could think of when he was telling me this was Poltergeist. That EVIL clown doll!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #24
coffy x

Jaye Jang, that was really spooky. I got kinda spooked just reading that. lol.
coffy x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #25
a morbid curiosity

Aww, I would rather post about ghost stories that are imaginary...
My father happens to lecture about Cultural Studies and part of it is all to do with witch-burning, Scots gothic, etc.
I have lots on that.
As for real stories... zilch. I don't believe in ghosts.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote