Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
DepthsofSpace

So, when did Lady Gaga decide her influences were...

...comprised of mostly post-punk and classic rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Lady Gaga's MySpace
Yoko Ono, Elvis, David Bowie, Morrissey, Queen, Robert Smith, Robert Plant, Freddy Mercury, Prince, Rod Stewart, Thomas Dolby, Depeche Mode, The Faint, Radiohead, Beck, Franz Ferdinand, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails, Grace Slick & Jefferson Airplane, Queen, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Talking Heads,The Scissor Sisters, The Dresden Dolls, Mika, She Wants Revenge, Janis Joplin, Jenny Lewis, Joy Division, New Order, The Killers, Justin Warfield, Chuck Berry, BuckCherry, Billy Idol, White Stripes, Strokes, Blondie, Pat Benetar, Rilo Kiley, Elton John, Jerry-Lee Lewis, John Lennon, The Beatles.
I mean really? She doesn't sound anything like most the people listed there. Did I miss something?

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
Still Jack

Anyone can have influences. Doesn't mean they have to sound like them. I mean I can kinda see the David Bowie influence with all the weird and wonderful shades and all that. But she doesn't sound at all like Bowie.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #3
Krick Wurkheiser

Most of the people on her list actually make music in some form... there's some sort of discrepancy in that, surely?

Maybe she hired someone to list some cool-sounding names for her 'space...
Krick Wurkheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
JCC

I like that you highlighted the bands she probably most sounds like and didn't say anything about Chuck fucking Berry.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Not Tha Duckman

Exclamation

Beat me to it.
Not Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:18 AM   #6
D0PPLEGANGER

What a load of bullshit. People are so fucking fake these days it's disgusting. Everyone knows exactly what to namedrop on their shitty little lists so that the world will think they're oh so special. Fake posturing morons should die.

Actually I think the only safe course of action is to just gas everyone that uses social networking sites or at the very least all the the ones that list The Killers in their favorites lists.
D0PPLEGANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
I like that you highlighted the bands she probably most sounds like and didn't say anything about Chuck fucking Berry.
What are you talking about? She determinedly does not sound like any of the bands he highlighted.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
oktoberschilde

Location: I have Flying Monkeys; And I am not afraid to use them!
I am not usually katty about things but, personally, I hated her sound from the moment I turned her on. She truly has a sound all her own ( thank Goth). It was as if, Cindy Lauper,(wrench) and Paris Hilton (Puke), somehow became subjects of some gov't experiment gone wrong, were genetically mated, and sired a Love child. And in its post pubescent years, It started trying to begin a singing career.

Hey any one remember the, Cindy Lauper, wannabe from that movie years ago. Sorry it has been years so I don't recall the name. Anyone remember the bimbo with the headlights on her Boobs? 200 cool points to anyone who remembers the name of that Movie!

I am sorry; I listened;once. Than twice for good measure. and I about puked! She is just trying too hard. She does win the first annual technicolor yawn award !
Well, enough from this old Bat; the Thrill is gone. The only consolation is, thankfully, from the original poster: hey, Depths: Thanks for pointing her out, so I can be sure to avoid her in the future.

The Infamous Mr.Oktober
oktoberschilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Not Tha Duckman

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberschilde View Post
thank Goth
Oh fucking Christ, not another one...................

Quote:
Cindy Lauper,(wrench)
Are you talking about "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" CINDI Lauper? Bitch, she kicks as holes.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
oktoberschilde

Location: I have Flying Monkeys; And I am not afraid to use them!
Wow Duck, Such Ire?! Nope It was Movie with a Wannabe in it. a Comedy BTW. Ms. Lauper was a star for her own mainstream reasons. so 100 demerits to you Duck Man for, " Kicking as holes"

LOL

The Infamous Mr.Oktober
oktoberschilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
vindicatedxjin

I simply cannot for the life of me understand why so many people like lady gaga. The only thing I can give her credit for is her bizarre outfits. Her music on the other hand SUCKS.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
I am not usually katty about things but, personally, I hated her sound from the moment I turned her on. She truly has a sound all her own ( thank Goth)
Hear, hear.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0PPLEGANGER View Post
Actually I think the only safe course of action is to just gas everyone that uses social networking sites
I think we'd do a greater service to humanity were we to slaughter everyone who posts messages expressing homicidal fury at other people's website preferences on the fucking gothic.net discussion boards.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Malice In Wonderland

Probably since she liked that music and it inspired her to become a lyricist and then go on to her own musical career.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Krick Wurkheiser

Since when is lady gaga a lyricist? Or since when does she have a musical career?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
Malice In Wonderland

She was a lyricist before she released her own music.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #17
Krick Wurkheiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
Oh, I know she wrote hits.. but they're not what you'd actually call songs. She wrote for the pussycat dolls, enough said...
Old 11-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
Not Tha Duckman

Thumbs down

Stop backtracking and being an idiot. It makes you look like............. an idiot.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 AM   #19
Malice In Wonderland

I as usual, agree with Duckie on this one.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:37 AM   #20
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I think we'd do a greater service to humanity were we to slaughter everyone who posts messages expressing homicidal fury at other people's website preferences on the fucking gothic.net discussion boards.
I would of course have almost everyone here gassed too. The levels of retardation on this site are rather profound and quite deserving of a cleansing.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #21
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice In Wonderland View Post
OMG! She writes her own songs!?!? What a colossal talent!!
Old 11-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #22
D0PPLEGANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krick Wurkheiser View Post
Oh, I know she wrote hits.. but they're not what you'd actually call songs. She wrote for the pussycat dolls, enough said...
While you and I may laugh at the notion of her being considered a musician, a lyricist, or god forbid an artist, you must understand the pandemic of retardation that has eclipsed popular culture this last decade.

In this abhorrent age people celebrate mediocrity above all else.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 AM   #23
sibyl vane.

She knows her demographic, she knows how to target them. She's a decent singer and she can write good hooks. Therefore, she's talented as a pop star.

I don't listen to her music much, but I'm aware of this.

Whining about the fact that she also happens to like good bands isn't endearing, by the way.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:09 AM   #24
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
While you and I may laugh at the notion of her being considered a musician, a lyricist, or god forbid an artist, you must understand the pandemic of retardation that has eclipsed popular culture this last decade.

In this abhorrent age people celebrate mediocrity above all else.
I'm fine with mediocrity. Hell, almost EVERY fucking small time punk band is rubbish by the standards of music, but god damn it, it's pure rubbish.

My qualm with Lady Gaga is that she's what so many other musicians are these days, she's a whore. She sells (bad) CDs. She's not an artist, she's barely a singer, she's a salesperson.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
Malice In Wonderland

Quote:
OMG! She writes her own songs!?!? What a colossal talent!!
That wasn't my point.