Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Should the military be allowed to recruit at universities?
Yes. 8 66.67%
No. 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #26
ice

I played Deus Ex 2 as soon as it was out. I wasn't that thrilled with it. It's so jam packed with everything that it is way too confusing. All the graphics are better, but it makes everything look softer, so it's kinda hard to figure out mazes and stuff. Eh.. it could just be me, but it seems almost all sequels suck *even Tribes 2, 'cause I lost my original password thingy that allows you to play on the web, so I was stuck playing against the AI, and that was horrible >_<*

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #27
CptSternn

Quote:
There actually weren't that many soldiers that went underground. Most surrendered or just ran away and never resurfaced or were captured when they did. It was the elite units that were instructed to carry out a guerilla war.

Really binkie? So all the insurgents now are just the elite? Wow, thats sure a hell of a lot of elite forces out there beatin the crap out of the us forces?

Also, you may have noticed blair barely squeaked by this election. Hes about to face a vote of cofidence in his party soon, and once he loses hes out. Then half his party, the wolves now circiling him are going to appease the 85% of the country that wants the troops out.

Just a waiting game till they pull out now. Good thing is - they are also looking at N. Ireland hard now. In the news all the time about pulling more troops out of there as well.

Slán

[/quote]
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #28
WolfMoon

:?:
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #29
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
"it's government money, which means that the government decides whether or not you get it"

Ño it fucking isn't. It's YOUR fucking money. You do not pay taxes so that government institutions can just come into campus and recruit people in a prejudiced manner.
No, in this case, the money that you pay in taxes goes to the MILITARY, not the college. The university, rather, is funded mostly by private citizens' paying tuition and various fees.

A university is not an entity that pays taxes. Its students do, its professors do, but a university does not pay taxes. The money, therefore, belongs to the individual citizens, not to the university, and the university should consider itself privileged to get what it does in government (ie, other people's) money. It is entitled to none of it, and it is disingenious for someone to say that it's the people's money, therefore it belongs to the university.

The truth is: a university is not entitled to money. As you said, it's the "people's" money, not theirs. Whatever it gets from the government, then, is a form of contract, an unearned benefit. The university has no right to that money, and therefore the government has the just ability to withdraw their support of an organization that tries to fuck them over. In the case of private citizens, the opposite, of course, is true.

Again, in this case, the taxes paid go to the sustaining of the military. The university, on the other hand, is essentially a private business. If a university kicks out the military, then it is essentially a small number of people, a clique consisting of those paying private tuition to that university, telling the majority of tax-payers, "Fuck you."

And personally, I don't give a damn about military recruiting practices. I pay taxes so that the armed forces can protect us and kill our enemies, and having good officers and soldiers is essential to that. I'm not about to piss on the entire military and kick it off of universities because of a single perceived flaw.

Quote:
And I still say that that message shouldn't be conveyed officially in any learning center or religious center.
For the learning centers, it's like a mutual agreement: You let us recruit from among your bright students, and we give you federal funding to which you have no right.

The universities are basically being spoiled: they want to kick the government institution out and still receive government money, to which they have no other legitimate claim than that they help the government.

Normal citizens pay taxes; it is by that right alone that they can claim to have a right to have it back in the form of government money (I hate the entire system, but eh, that's how it stands). Universities pay no taxes, and they are entitled to government money only insofar as they render some other service to the government (in this case, allowing the military to recruit). It's a business transaction, a contract.

And Mael -- you should know that I don't get offended by logical points in arguments. I think that you're mistaken, though; my dad's not a farmer.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #30
Asurai

I've never played Deus Ex.

Sniff. I feel left out. Hug me! I need support in this trying emotional time.

</pun on another thread>
Old 05-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #31
Binkie

Really, Sternn... except not with the words you put in my mouth. Might want to go back and read my post again or Mael's, because both of us cited just what the insurgent groups were made up of in Iraq.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #32
ice

We loved your story.. but I once ate all the Jujy-fruits... then I ate the entire box... It gave me indigestion

"No - it's more like - wow, isn't enlightenment great?" - Doug Henning
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #33
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
...no one liked my story...?

*walks away forlornly*
I love it when you walk away forlornly. It's so hot.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #34
CptSternn

You did? Good for you! Maybe they should just hire you to help em out on the web here finding insurgents! I mean, you KNOW who they are and where they are, and you KNOW that iraq has WMDs, according to you, so I'm thinking the pentagon is REALLY missing out, you here wasting your talent on Gothic.Net!

You should get out there and stop em! I mean, they are sending home a few dozen of your best and brightest in boxes on a weekly basis - shouldn't you with all your knowledge be able to help stop 'em?

Slán
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #35
Binkie

Well, I've read intellegence reports based on captured insurgents (physical proof) that countless foreign intellegence agencies have verified.

Where are you getting your information from? Coffee Shop gossip?

Come on, tell me that. You know you want to. :lol:
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Old 05-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #36
Panther

Location: The middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of the boonies.
Apparently they're having a real difficulty getting people to enlist now.

I was damn near harrassed by a recruiter calling me at my house. I told him no several tiems, and he persisted in askig me why i didnt want to join the army. I thought it was prudent to not mention my height and weight are out of the proper proportion for the air force (college money), because that would show him I'd previously tried to get in the armed forces.

I agree that we need an army. I agree that now that we're at war, we can't stop until it's won by one side or the other, preferably us. but I don't agree that a discriminatory institution should be allowed on a capmus that has a policy agianst them, nor do I believe that college students, who pay taxes, should be monetarily penalized for being given a less stressful school enviroment.

If recruiters are that pesistent on the phone, how bad would they be in person?
Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent
cottage?
-Allen Ginsberg, A Supermarket in California
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:12 AM   #37
CptSternn

Binkie - your actually saying here that a pre-teen who lives at home in the middle of bumfick PA found classified 'intellegence reports' and you have privii to information only parts of congress has seen and thats what you base your statements on?

What planet are you on?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #38
Binkie

Never heard of the 'Freedom of Information Act,' have ya? And you profess to know something about American politics? Geeze... what planet are you from?

Wanna read up on "Foreign Missile Developments and the Ballistic Missile Threat Through 2015?" That's declassified and avaliable online. Or maybe your thing is the "NSA/CSS Strategic Plan 2001-2006." Readily avaliable online. Wanna see a proposal to the Pentagon outlining chemical weapons designed to cause homosexuality in enemy soldiers? It's online too. Not everything you read in the newspaper or wherever is conveyed to the press in a conference. The act listed above is the reason why you have so much shit every day to come here and report on.

Civilian institutes studying policy have access to these things before they even hit the public. But if you want to look at some of these assessments for yourself, try actually looking for it on the net or check out the GPO Access website.

(Note: it's so god damn good to hear that people think I'm young when all they have to deterimine my age is a picture. Confience boost!)
Old 05-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #39
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurai
I've never played Deus Ex.

Sniff. I feel left out. Hug me! I need support in this trying emotional time.

</pun on another thread>

*hugs Asurai*

We still have those pix of you in the Bon Jovi wig and your sparkly thong.

Good times.

Awww......

*sniff*
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:17 AM   #40
CptSternn

Farenheit 911 has a great bit on the recruiters. They normally stick to poor schools and neighborhoods where people dont have a choice in life. Makes their work easier.

Pretty bad when even the dregs of society won't even fight for a cause, and choose to live a life of poverty.

Says something about the war as well.

Slán
Old 05-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #41
Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
Farenheit 911 has a great bit on the recruiters. They normally stick to poor schools and neighborhoods where people dont have a choice in life. Makes their work easier.

Pretty bad when even the dregs of society won't even fight for a cause, and choose to live a life of poverty.

Says something about the war as well.

Slán
I don't like the war either, but the time for that kind of consideration is over. I don't like how you talk about the poor as if the only hope they have for a better life is through the military. If you define the poor as those who can't readily afford college, then you're talking about a very large class of people, including a rather large chunk of those who are not, legally, poor.

College is practically made to be expensive, otherwise more people would go. I wouldn't be inthe army if the war were somehting I belive in, because I'm not well suited to military life, being soft and disagreeable, and very unfond of guns.

You can't take one person's decision, and base an entire class which that person does not belong to on it.

And if you're using something other than what I said, then you need to show us where the info comes from.
cottage?
Old 05-18-2005, 03:23 AM   #42
CptSternn

Panther - I was refering to the whole section on recruiting in F 9/11. They show stastically, and actually speak with multiple recruiters about this. The recruiters say as much.

Also, I should say those at or below the poverty line, I don't mean poor as in destitute. Those in the lowest tax bracket, the $24,000 or less a year bracket are the ones percentagewise who are most often signed up in the us military.

This is a proven fact you can browse google for to see more. Also watch the film as they state the actual government reports that reflect those same figures.

The same is now happening in Iraq. I mean, the people signing up to be police and in the army are deserting at a 40% rate. Why? Because they get a huge signon bonus, weeks of training out of the country, then they get back, get the check for all of that, and they quit. They have no desire to fight, they just want to feed their families. Once again browse about for this - I have multiple articles on it previously posted, also many on www.theaxisofevil.net and just google for iraqi army deserters.

After googling it myself, I see that there are almost 6,000 US army deserters now that are AWOL after being told they are supposed to go to Iraq. Thats a huge jump since January when it was around 1,000!

Slán

Slán
Old 05-18-2005, 08:13 AM   #43
Panther

That's fine. But you can't just say something and not back it up, or people will think you're bullshitting.

Especially when arguing about politics.
cottage?
Old 05-21-2005, 08:57 PM   #44
Asurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
I was damn near harrassed by a recruiter calling me at my house. I told him no several tiems....
I've been getting quite a few calls, but they've always been incredibly respectful with me. If I say that I don't want to join, they've just said, "I'm sorry to hear it. If you change your mind, you'll be able to find a recruiter anywhere. Good-bye, Sir." Never heard from them again.

I sat down and talked with one once. The last thing that I could describe him as would be "harrassive." He answered everything that I asked or said frankly, with no ass-covering doublespeak at all. (He admitted, for instance, that in the job class that I was considering, I would be in high-demand and would most likely be sent to Iraq.)