Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #26
Lauren

oh maybe it won't suck...oh what am i saying?!...:/
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:05 PM   #27
AngelikDemonik

Donnie Darko sucked. I don't like movies that try too hard to be deep.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #28
drewsilla

Donnie Darko does not need a sequel. End of story. I figure someone was sitting around somewhere, trying to think of movies that don't have sequels so they could make some and try and cash in. People like that should be strapped with rocks and dumped into the deep end of the pool.
drewsilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #29
acidxrainbows

Donnie Darko is such immense film.
S. Darko can never compare.
EVER.
Don't care how good it is.
acidxrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 PM   #30
XxBloodyrosexX

You can't be serious! How in the heck do you make a Donnie Darko sequel? He filitched dies!
*5 minutes later*
In the original flick, it was Donnie who had all the fun. This time around, the characters of Corey and Donnie's little sister, Samantha (a returning Daveigh Chase), will be on a road trip to Los Angeles, and both will be harnessing the hallucinations and time-travel abilities that once plagued Samantha's older brother.

Oh my Darko. God.... sadly frank the rabbit will not return. darn, all i remember from the movie is 'fuckass' and the gang-banging smurfs... gosh.....
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #31
XxBloodyrosexX

Someone put up a stop the Donnie Darko sequel... *laughs*
http://www.petitiononline.com/sdarko/petition.html
Or join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...4171631&ref=ts

452 signatures... I make the 453.

I took too long to be able to 'edit' darn
XxBloodyrosexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM   #32
lostintranslation

I watched the first movie....and didn't get it. I had to phone a friend (who is a genius) to explain it to me. He explained, I said "Oh....I see", but still, in my new profound understanding, don't truly understand the film, or like it that much. So Donnie had to die to save everyone, and Frank was just showing him what would would happen if he lived, blah-dee-blah-dee-blah. What is the point of a movie if more than half the viewers do not understand what they just witnessed? Furthermore, why then make a sequel??
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #33
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintranslation
I watched the first movie....and didn't get it. I had to phone a friend (who is a genius) to explain it to me. He explained, I said "Oh....I see", but still, in my new profound understanding, don't truly understand the film, or like it that much. So Donnie had to die to save everyone, and Frank was just showing him what would would happen if he lived, blah-dee-blah-dee-blah. What is the point of a movie if more than half the viewers do not understand what they just witnessed? Furthermore, why then make a sequel??

Art was never meant to be a product to please the people. Your post is the exact philosophy of my friend's old company he worked for. Instead of making art, they provided "sketch" comedy to the masses that amused everyone on a base level. Think Nickelodian attempting to do Mad TV. They made a product, a service to the most common denominator to make money. Then they tried to market themselves as cutting edge and progressive. Not true.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #34
lostintranslation

I realize that art is not for the masses, but it should be for someone. There should be an audience for art beyond the creator, otherwise it holds no meaning to anyone beyond the creator, which is not the point of a film. Who knows, maybe I'm just not smart enough for Donnie Darko.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #35
Rorschach Twin

Donnie Darko was a perfect movie. There doesn't need to be a sequel.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 PM   #36
Rorschach Twin

By the way, I didn't realize that the first one was so difficult to understand.

In a nutshell, it's about Donnie, and how there is a tangent universe opened up, after the jet engine crashes through his room. He then proceeds to live through the bulk of the movie, and is plagued by thoughts of nihilism, existentialism, and ultimately the fact that he has no choice whether or not he will die (determinism.) He pieces it together and figures out the fact that he is going to die, which is the point of the end of the movie. The people that are effected in his tangent universe are referred to as 'manipulated dead' and are plagued with nightmares and memories of the events. When Donnie dies, the tangent is closed, and he dies, in order to save the world. It's a bit of a Christ complex, actually.

I apologize though, it's been a while since I watched the movie. There's a lot I left out. If I'm completely wrong, feel free to say.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #37
TheBloodEternity

I never saw the first one (I want to) and even I think this looks like it will be crap.
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 AM   #38
LiUsAiDh

I've never seen Donnie Darko, sounds pretty good, I may rent it.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 AM   #39
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I sort of grasped it when I watched it all that time ago, but thinking back I prefer movies like...

I <3 Huckabees and Run Lola Run

Didn't enjoy Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Question: After these movies, does anyone else have the revelation moment, where regardless of whether it is so, they feel their mind just became a giant gaping vagina dripping with new theories and philosophical contemplation?
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #40
cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
I project that I will like this movie more than I do the original. Because most people instinctively regard sequels to be inferior to earlier installments in a series, this film, although it will likely be inane crap, will probably not be outrageously overrated inane crap as is Donnie Darko, and will therefore fail to inspire in me rage equivalently great to that to which I am spurred by the first movie.
I like that thinking.
I agree.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 AM   #41
Toy Killer

I watched Donnie Darko religiously, I think a serious part of the movies premise is that the world doesn't make sense. Throughout the movie, he's confused by the conclusions that people make, no one knows where the jet engine came from, Grandma death wanders back and forth to her mail box. I personally felt the movie was saying 'ya know what, life doesn't make sense, and if you try to understand it, you'll just go insane'.

With the nice touch of religion, I think it also says that god can act beyond reason, something no mortal can really do.
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote