Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #1
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
Unhappy All Nervous, And Shaking

I'm very scared. I know I shouldn't be, and I know that good things are
happening, but this change is going to be so huge, and I don't know how I'm
going to react.
I am happy about being able to go back to school again, makeup is something
that I love to do, and what's even better is that they accepted my
application at Joe Blasco. I was so worried that it wouldn't happen...
It's one of the top makeup schools, and it's incredibly hard to get in.
Also, I've always been very timid around new people. I tend to be a bit quiet.
I get so nervous when having to look someone in the eye for the first time that
I keep my head bowed, and my eyes low to the ground. I know I won't do well
in this school, or in the industry if I keep my head bowed so low like I usually do.
Hopefully this new change will benefit me, and help me gain the confidence I
so desperately need...

Thanks for listening...
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:46 AM   #2
Demonista_Ravenesque

Hey, about nervousness and shyness, Be assertive, Missus, You're there to learn and learning's easier with friends. Remeber, chances are that there's other nervous people too, just keep your head up and smile, who wouldn't like that?

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 AM   #3
Needled

Yeah smiling is the key. I never smiled, and I would always avoid meeting eyes with anyone else.. When you don't smile it can come off as you're stuck up. That's what a lot of people thought of me. I would never talk to people, I felt like if they wanted to talk to me, they would say something first. If you smile, people are more inclined to talk to you and you will make friends. Once you have friends you won't be as shy and uncomfortable.
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
JuliaGaltic

Surgeon, just wear sexy undies, stiletto boots and carry a whip... that usually takes care of it for me
Old 01-29-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Needled

Sexy undies? Great idea. I've heard plenty of people say that they felt more confident and ready to accomplish anything while wearing their sexy/favorite undergarments. It may work for you!
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:52 AM   #6
TeapotScar

Indeed! When I feel sexy, it's way easier to look people in the eye. Dress yourself up a bit- it may sound like a superficial solution, but I notice that there is a definite difference in the way I act when I clean myself up. If you get used to the idea that you are smart, beautiful, and strong, then there's no way you're going to be scared about looking anyone in the eye anymore.

-Add me on myspace, because I'm pretty sure I've tried to add you! http://www.myspace.com/fermeztesyeux
TeapotScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
angel_dark_demon_bright

Confidence is paramount. Focus on your objective and dont worry about making mistakes. Everything has a way of working itself out.
angel_dark_demon_bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgeon Méchant De Sang
I'm very scared. I know I shouldn't be, and I know that good things are
happening, but this change is going to be so huge, and I don't know how I'm
going to react.
I am happy about being able to go back to school again, makeup is something
that I love to do, and what's even better is that they accepted my
application at Joe Blasco. I was so worried that it wouldn't happen...
It's one of the top makeup schools, and it's incredibly hard to get in.
Also, I've always been very timid around new people. I tend to be a bit quiet.
I get so nervous when having to look someone in the eye for the first time that
I keep my head bowed, and my eyes low to the ground. I know I won't do well
in this school, or in the industry if I keep my head bowed so low like I usually do.
Hopefully this new change will benefit me, and help me gain the confidence I
so desperately need...

Thanks for listening...

Congratulations Lady. That is awesome news. What a Coup for you.

I was in the Industry for a long time. My mother owns her own Cosmetic Company and Skin Care line and has for more than twenty years. I worked the Pageant Circuit and Runway scene in Texas among other things. The money is great for on location work. Seriously. I do miss it sometimes. And Mom has never really forgiven me for not wanting to take her place at the Helm. But she knows I am doing what I want to do. Thats what counts I suppose.

My mom also wrote a wonderful textbook for Basic Make-Up Application, that is used in many of the colleges. If you're interested, PM me and I will see if I can sweet talk her out of a copy for you.

As far as going back to school. You will have a ball. I was nervous as well. I started college at age 31. I felt like a Fossil on campus for ahwile. But you will be fabulous, I just know it.

You wouldn't have gotten in, if you didn't show talent. Just be yourself, dress sharp and dive right in. The rest will all fall into place.

We just know you'll be great!!

*Hugs*
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
ennui

I was in the industry as well and am thinking of returning. It's a great line of work and if you were accepted in this school you have already demonstrated your talents. Just breathe and remind yourself that you rock! As for the eye contact, yes, this is something you will have to work on, but you can do it! Maybe you can practice with close friends or family members. It is a habit that you can break. If you believe in yourself, your talents, etc, you might find it is easier than you think.

Here is a little suggestion that might help while you are trying to get comfortable with eye contact. As you are applying make-up, you will be talking to the person, but your hands will also be busy reaching for an eyeshadow, grabbing a brush, etc. Try to look the person in the eye for a few seconds and smile and then take a break and look at the brush you are loading or the selections of foundation you are choosing from, then back up at person. You get the idea. In other words, you dont have to stare at the person non-stop, but get through just a few seconds as you will be also be busy with the makeup choices, etc.

The biggest thing you can do is just keep reminding yourself that you are talented and deserve this great opportunity.

Please, keep us posted. My heart really went out to you reading this.

All the best!
ennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
Saya

You're not alone. I hate having to talk to strangers, I can't look them in the eye and I can't even get my words out half the time. I was scared to death coming to university and living in a dorm, without anybody I knew. It turned out okay though, my roommate is now a good friend and as long as I stick with her, I'm fine with talking to people ^_^ Needless to say I am an alien face hugger when it comes to my friends.

Seriously, once you make one friend, the others fall like dominoes. Its just easier when someone you are comfortable with is there with you, and I bet you'll get used to it over time. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do well!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
cannibalnuns

-If you have trouble looking someone in the eye, pretend they are naked and the likes. That is an actual method used and taught by professionals who help others get jobs.

-Also you might want to take some kava kava to relieve the anxiety. That works well for me anyway when I have to be around a lot of people I do not really like.

-Avoid caffeine and sweet foods before hand, rely on a good nights rest (I suggest a bit or wine or Nyquil) and make sure you get 8 hours at least. Next wake up in the morning and spend a good amount of time primping and getting ready. It will make you feel you are looking your best.

As for daily business, you will get use to it. The main thing is not worrying about the smaller things. Get in there, get your job done and do what you need to do. That is all that matters. Who cares if they do not talk to you and the likes, they are just young. You are a fine wine, you get better with age. Anyway I just threw up some suggestions and the likes. I hope it works out for you and as EPS said, if you did not have the talent you would have not gotten in. That’s something to be pretty stoked about.
Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve.- Robert Burns
cannibalnuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #12
Wise Child

I tend to find that the fastest way to ease nerves once you're there is to find someone to speak to as soon as possible. Everyone will be in the same boat, nervous and wanting to please, in any new situation. Just strike up a conversation as soon as you can. It doen't have to be awkward, if you're shy - just commenting on the weather or asking the person next to you if they know such-and-such about the course. Everyone will be as nervous as you, and people are generally grateful to be spoken to when doing something new. Just force yourself to smile. It's difficult if you're quiet around new people, but it's worth forcing yourself - it really boosts my confidence and helps me find my feet to have someone to chat to through the first few days. Hope this helps - best of luck.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:30 AM   #13
WolfMoon

Surge ~ Sorry I have said anything sooner, babe. My mind's been elsewhere.

CONGRATULATIONS SWEETIE!!!

With your mad make-up skillz you should do just fine. It's normal to be nervous when starting any new endevour. Just take a few deep breaths and dive in.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:14 PM   #14
Sanctus Dei

Go Surgeon go! You should be proud of your accomplishments and stand tall behind your work, apparently it's A+ if you've been accepted into school! We all wish you the best in your career venture, but I'm sure you won't need it you'll be amazing!!
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote