Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
manequin

Straight Edge

Ok. I realise straight edge isn't traditionally associated with goth but I thought I'd ask if there are any edge members on the boards. I've been edge for about two years now and feel that it has hugely benifited me in many ways. So what do you guys think? Oh and incase there are members who are unfamiliar Here's a link! CLICK ME!
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Apathy's_Child

Personally, the thought of going through life stone-cold sober 24/7 holds zero appeal. But this thread sparks off some dim memories of one on the same topic, so I don't think you're alone.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Barfing_Rat

Well I'm a professional athlete. So I am pretty much a straight edge. I don't drink or smoke or anything. I even RARELY drink soda.

I prefer to stay that way especially since many things I enjoy are very physically demanding. So it is a huge benefit to me. Plus my dad was a alcoholic, I saw how it affect him and just doesn't like any alcohol now and avoid it like plague.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
Extraordinary

I can barely associate with anybody who drinks alcohol.

You're a pro MMA fighter? That's awesome. What's your weight class and record?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
BLEED REBELION!!!

meh I'm straight edge I suppose but not really by choice... *pout

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I have been straight edge for the past 15 years. Sober, "24/7" except for when my arthritis flares up and I have to take pain medication. The last alcohol I had was September 15, 1992. I can't remember the last time I smoked, but it has been years. The only part of straight edge I do not adhere to is asexuality.

I still enjoy the same music as people who drink or smoke, and enjoy it to the same depth.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Barfing_Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extraordinary
You're a pro MMA fighter? That's awesome. What's your weight class and record?
Yes, I'm a pro MMA fighter. I fight at 130 to 145 lbs class. I usually walk just below 135 lbs. I'm 1-0, 1 KO. I'm trying to get a fight with one former pro Muay Thai fighter who is well respect in Muay Thai community and just won his first MMA fight. If I get it, it should be in October.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
gothicusmaximus

I live a primarily sober lifestyle. On occassion I'll drink, though I could never really grasp the reason for which so many people find alcohol consumption to be so awesome, as I don't really have any more fun drunk than I do otherwise. That I don't enjoy screaming in the streets or dancing like an idiot may be at the root of this.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Vexik

Ah, I recall my straight-edge youth. What a horrible fool I was!

I am of the opinion that people should try things (in general) at least once. I won't go into which things I think are on the 'try' or 'don't try' list. My point is that something cannot be truly understood until a person has, to some degree, experienced it. I denounce strict straight-edgery primarily because it leads to assumptions (about consumptions) and a lack of understanding. I realize I sound like the bad guy in an after-school special ("just try it man, it's good stuff!"), but that's still my stance. Straight edges are for squares, daddy-o.
Vexik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Tea and Cake or Death

Eh....drinking is legal. So who cares. I don't condone drugs,but it's not like that matters to anyone.
drink
don't drink
it doesn't really matter. you will die one day no matter what you've done to your body.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #11
lostintranslation

I try to avoid drugs, but my stance on drinking and smoking is one of indifference. I'll admit, I've done a few drugs, but you live and you learn, and I'm one who learns better from experience. I don't advocate the use of drugs or alcohol, but as long as you're not addicted, I'm not going to give you trouble for either. Most of my friends use alcohol and drugs on a regular basis, while I do not. I don't particularly care about others' actionsin regards to drug and alcohol use; they don't decide who I call a freind. I personally don't do drugs, with the exception of prescription, and only drunk for the flavor rather than the affects. I don't think denying yourself something is a good way to go simply because one day, you'll end up wondering why you won't allow yourself to have that item, and pursue it. My actions are based on the moment, not by society's views on what is best for me. If, at the time, I would like some beer or a cigarette, then I'll have it rather than thinking about how if I drink my judgement could be impaired or if I smoke I could get cancer. Life comes with risks, and I like living.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

I try to live a healthy life. That's just it.
The straight edge people I hate the most are the ones that really are not straight edge, like a fucking idiot with tattooed X's in his hands but a cig in his fingers.
But still, straight edge purists, in my opinion, are just like vegans: their ethical stance is more of a stubborn symbolism than a consistent healthy lifestyle.
Alcohol in small doses (although these doses are smaller than the average American intake) is healthy for the body. Meanwhile the ink of the tattooed X's and even markers is just as bad as alcohol if it permeates to the bloodstream. And then what about caffeine? It's another drug.
Instead of trying to be straight edge, people should just try to be healthy. By this logic, I am unforgiving with tobacco.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Stormtrooper of Death

I've been straight edge for about 4 years now, ever since I started listening to Minor Threat, no drugs, no alcohol, but I agree with HP, I'm not asexual.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death
I've been straight edge for about 4 years now, ever since I started listening to Minor Threat, no drugs, no alcohol, but I agree with HP, I'm not asexual.
Then it's not straight edge.
No drinking, No smoking, No fucking.
If you don't follow that, why call yourself straight edge rather than just sober?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
L'Oiseau Noir

I abhor drugs (besides caffeine), as well as alcohol. There are several reasons why I have such a rigid stance on a drug and alcohol-free life. Sure, I don't mind if you have an occasional wine on the holidays, but I'm talking about the twits who pound down can after can of beer, or some other alcoholic substance for the sake of getting drunk, or smoking joint after joint just because they like being high. It's disgusting, in my opinion.

My reasons for being so hard against this stuff is because of several different events that have occurred in my life, all of a malignant nature. I've had friends whose lives were utterly ripped apart because of extensive alcohol and drug abuse, or who've died as a result. For instance, a friend of mine was shot because of a drug deal gone awry, and I've lost a close uncle to liver cancer as a result of long-term drinking. Not too mention my own father has dissuaded me from every even attempting to sip alcohol, as he's a very, very mean and destructive drunk at times.

As for the asexuality aspect of "straight-edge", I have my personal reasons for that.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
Stormtrooper of Death

Last Fucking Straw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Then it's not straight edge.
No drinking, No smoking, No fucking.
If you don't follow that, why call yourself straight edge rather than just sober?
That's it, enough of this bullshit. No, HP can say the exact same thing and you don't say anything, but you chose to attack me. I AM a straight edge punk, I just chose to modify a preexisting thing to fit my more specific needs. Lay the fuck off already, I get it. fucking hell!
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
Extraordinary

By the way, does anybody actually use the term "straight edge" after like 16 years old? I can't imagine somebody being legally old enough to drink and telling people they're "straight edge" without being laughed at. I thought that faded when you stopped worrying about which clique is best.

yay! thug vs prep! ^_________^
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #18
Cicero

I'm an advocate for experience. I thought straightedge was awesome when I was 13, but then I discovered that moderation was a lot more fun. That only goes for alcohol and a small selection of drugs though. Anything highly addictive - from tobacco to heroin - I stay well away from.

Also I'm pretty sure straight-edge doesn't 100% require abstinence/asexuality. You might as well be a nun if that's how it is.

Edit: I just checked that. And yeah, it's promiscuity, not sex.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #19
Stormtrooper of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero

Also I'm pretty sure straight-edge doesn't 100% require abstinence/asexuality. You might as well be a nun if that's how it is.

Edit: I just checked that. And yeah, it's promiscuity, not sex.
Thank you much.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #20
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
That's it, enough of this bullshit. No, HP can say the exact same thing and you don't say anything, but you chose to attack me. I AM a straight edge punk, I just chose to modify a preexisting thing to fit my more specific needs. Lay the fuck off already, I get it. fucking hell!
Actually that was a directed message to HP too. I did not choose to attack you; I fucking had to attack the hypocrisy you just said.
But you want to know a difference between HP's post and yours? HP used the word 'straight edge' as an adjective; you used it as a fucking noun; a holy punk property of yours.
You want me to attack you directly? Here you go: you suck as a punk. You can't stop talking about HC, HC, fuck yeah I love Japanese Hardcore; Jello Biafra for president; hooray the Blah party.
Nothing but punk clichés. I remember you even spoke about Sid Vicious as someone to be admired.
But why do you not speak about the things hardcore speaks about? A new guy enters and you tell him "oh I know everything about hardcore, do you want some bands?". Why do you not come up saying "hey, so you're a nonconformist too, how about taking it a step forward? Full DIY life; check it out, some bands have done it if you're interested."
You never speak of substance; you just blabber on about style.
The most political things you have done is make a thread about Che, and tried to work on a 'zine.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #21
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
I also feel as though abstinence from sex wasn't an original tenet of the doctrine advanced by the community within the hardcore scene from which the term is derived. I might be wrong though.

Quote:
By the way, does anybody actually use the term "straight edge" after like 16 years old? I can't imagine somebody being legally old enough to drink and telling people they're "straight edge" without being laughed at. I thought that faded when you stopped worrying about which clique is best.
I've heard people use it in reference to others, but rarely to describe themselves.

I.E. "Why don't we invite (person) to come to (bar) with us?"
"Oh, he/she's straight edge"

moreso than

"You want to hit this?"
"NO! EDGE BABY!"
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I just checked that. And yeah, it's promiscuity, not sex.
Yeah, I just checked too; I see no casual sex.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 06-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #23
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Dude, he was talking to me too. Only I didn't freak out about it. Of course, Jillian is an acquired taste.

Relax man. People here like you.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #24
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Well, let's not get carried away.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #25
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Not all the time, as mentioned above.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: