Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Deadmanwalking_05

Question a doctor and lose your child

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6823345.ece

9x29mmR : The Choice Of Millions for the last 100-107 years.
Deadmanwalking_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
vindicatedxjin

..I don't even know what to say to this...

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Wrath

This is rather hidious. I cant imagine things like this happening....I wonder why doctors would care more about covering up shit ,thats what it sounds like to me, than caring for their patient and finding the trutrh of their illness...
This is just sick, twisted and cruel
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Lord Soth

That's sick, it never ceases to amaze me how some people will do whatever it takes just to keep their job. The doctor would rather split up a mother & child just to avoid legal action that would likely take away his medical license. That's pretty greedy doc
Lord Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
What I'm curious about is one of the comments under the article saying this could become a possibility if socialized medicine is enacted here in the states. Can somone confirm or deny the validity of this claim please.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
Lord Soth

It's certainly possible, it just depends on the specifics of the system that gets put into place. i know many people are worried that the president will pass his health care reform plan for just this reason. What boggles my mind is there are folks from canada and the UK and new zealand who, when the our president talks of adopting a similiar health care system here, really wonder "WHY" they talk about how shitty their system is and don't understand why we would want a similiar system here.
Lord Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
What I'm curious about is one of the comments under the article saying this could become a possibility if socialized medicine is enacted here in the states. Can somone confirm or deny the validity of this claim please.
I'm fairly certain things like this happen in America anyway, whenever some crazy religious person wants to deny their dying child care because they don't believe in it and then everyone gets upset over the state interfering with the parent's right to kill their kid.

Soth, that may be true on right wing websites but 80% of Canadians are happy with our health care system. Most of us can't understand WHY you don't have one already and why its so controversial that a modest step in the direction of universal health care is so evil to you guys.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I'm fairly certain things like this happen in America anyway, whenever some crazy religious person wants to deny their dying child care because they don't believe in it and then everyone gets upset over the state interfering with the parent's right to kill their kid.
*ahem* It should be noted that religion is not the only reason why people refuse conventional treatment, it's merely the reason that gets the most publicity.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 09-09-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
Underwater Ophelia

Guys, don't just immediately believe that alarmist title.
The article deliberately leaves out crucial details to produce this type of effect.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus View Post
We are only going for a public option, not a completely socialized system. The hospitals and doctors will still operate the same way and there will still be private insurance companies. The government option is mostly so that people with preexisting conditions will be able to get decent coverage and to help reign in the cost of insurance, as they do take in rather large profits.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #11
Lady_Alyce

Location: A lovely place where the humidity melts your makeup off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmanwalking_05 View Post

There does not seem to be enough information given to accuse anyone. Was the mother simply suggesting that the vaccine was linked to her daughter's paralyzed legs or was she threatening doctors? It seems rather sketchy.
Lady_Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
We are only going for a public option, not a completely socialized system. The hospitals and doctors will still operate the same way and there will still be private insurance companies. The government option is mostly so that people with preexisting conditions will be able to get decent coverage and to help reign in the cost of insurance, as they do take in rather large profits.
Ah thank you. You know this reminds me of a report I heard recently of this one series of clinics that simply cut out insurance companies all together and you just pay them directly and they have it set up so that it saves everyone alot of money.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
Solumina

There are some smaller clinics that charge on sliding scales, as in each pays according to their means, but that is rather hard to do on a large scale. Insurance companies also use some pretty heavy handed negotiations to get better rates with hospitals so they actually pay rather little for treatments so the prices for others have to be raised to make up the difference, if everyone was charged the same rate then health care costs would be a good bit lower.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
There are some smaller clinics that charge on sliding scales, as in each pays according to their means, but that is rather hard to do on a large scale. Insurance companies also use some pretty heavy handed negotiations to get better rates with hospitals so they actually pay rather little for treatments so the prices for others have to be raised to make up the difference, if everyone was charged the same rate then health care costs would be a good bit lower.
Well the clinics that I'm talking about have done it on a large scale, however this is only for routine stuff it doesn't cover big things like getting an arm chopped off.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
Delkaetre

The one about the woman unable to take her son to the bathroom?
Surely, if he's not able to bathe or use the toilet, he should stay in a facility where he *can* until the extension is built or a care worker is assigned who can help with tasks like heavy lifting?

Taking him out of a place where he's not even able to wash seems sensible, even if the circumstances surrounding it seem full of poor judgement on both sides.

Vaccinations are very, very unlikely to have such serious side effects. Doctors do tend to actually look at surrounding symptoms and causes for such problems, and there have been documented cases of psychosomatic illness causing loss of movement, sight, and even failure of certain bodily functions. It can often be down to stress in the general environment, as with the example of a woman who lost use of her legs during a particularly abusive period with a former partner.

While doctors can be wrong, and I'm not saying that the doctors or care workers in these cases were definitely right or wrong, parents can also be wrong. There are people convinced that the MMR gave their kid autism, for hells' sakes. The article also has a remarkable lack of actual context. It's never just "ooooooh we don't like that you're trying to argue with us- we're gonna steal your kids!". They have to provide actual reasons and can be held accountable.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Renatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delkaetre View Post
There are people convinced that the MMR gave their kid autism, for hells' sakes.
I must agree it is very annoying to have somone call your personality the result of a mistake due to a vaccine ingredient. Frankly I was hoping that line of foolishness would of ended with the results that scientists came up with not too long ago that vaccines were not the cause. I honestly find some of the parents of autistics rather annoying, they call autism a DISEASE! or worse yet somthing that hinders the intelligence of it's "victims". I say the only "victims" who are having their intelligence reduced are the parents.