Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 05-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #101
Demonista_Ravenesque

Hah! I found Australia's equivalent of Eminem, and I like his music!

Figgkidd be his name and his rhymes are funky fresh and pretty funny. Check him out.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:33 AM   #102
Wise Child

I used to love hip hop when from the ages of about thirteen to sixteen. 2pac, Dre, Drag-on, Sticky Fingaz, NWA, Jadakiss, DMX, Jay-Z - loved 'em all. I still request Next Episode at half the club nights I go to - songs really bring back memories and give me the "feeling" I had when they came out.

And I like Eminem. Well, the first two albums and most of the third one, anyway - I didn't even bother getting the fourth, as I thought the singles were all pretty shite.

A dream is just a nightmare with lipstick ~ Toni Morrison
Wise Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:19 PM   #103
BADSEED

The new Juvenile rocks!
BADSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #104
Dark_child*666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonista_Ravenesque
Yes, that's right it's a thread about rap music... I don't know whether to put this in Whining or Music, but I think it should be put in music because I believe rap is still considered as music, There is something deep inside me that makes it necessary to ramble about this.

Always...I mean ALWAYS, I hear people, especially those in the gothic community, complain about rap, and say incredibly nasty things about it, saying how pointless it is, saying how untalented it is and how it shouldn't even be counted as music. Emphasis on the last part.

In my opinion...Rap and Rock have quite a few similarities, like if it's on the radio...it's usually just rubbish without any talent, written for those with a simple taste in music and those who like it *catchy* , if it's 'Old School' then it'd be more original than the modern version of it, and if it's underground then it'd be rather interesting and fresh.

It puzzles me why people actually say that it shouldn't be counted as music...Just because they simply don't like it, I mean, I don't like classical music but I would still count it as music.
There always seems to be his huge feud between Rock an Rap, both sides are completely against each other and they always claim the other side is "completely talentless"...More to my opinion, I think that Rap should still be considered as music, just it's focusing more on the beat and experimenting with it, while rock experiments more with layers of sound. And as for the lyrical content, most rockers (and goths) believe it's nothing but random rhymes put together that don't even make sense.... I reckon that they have just heard the mainstream stuff...on the radio that have made them assume that their lyrics are pointless...but if you have listened to Tupac Shakur, The Roots and The RZA, they are truly poets of the modern world...Although they don't use the most complicated vocabulary, it's still extremely talented, because it does take alot of skill to make colloquial language sound powerful.

I know starting this thread has a risk of even more people hating me...even the newest of the new people may turn their backs on me and despise me more so than they do now, just a small message to TEAPOTSCAR This thread, is one that had no intention of getting purposely flamed whatsoever, however, if I do get flamed, it's probably just about people hating me for who I am...But this is a topic that I needed to speak out on.

And I'm out
I agree most people i know say that rap isnt considered music just b-cuz they dont like to listen to it i personally dont listen to rap becuse 95% of rappers rap about the same old crap like gangs and sex and drugs and rock and heavy metal just send deeper messages through they muic? songs.
Dark_child*666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #105
A Simple Poet

I'm a dip shit and a moron (I'm not inbred) because I LOATHE Rap and cannot wait for the day that it will go away. Alas, that day is likely not to come...

My name is Will ... and I'm back from a glorious feeding.

Will on Facebook ... Identify yourself because I'm a proud, Facebook, recluse.
A Simple Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #106
Corpsey

rap. if i recall correctly it was all started by blondie and her song rapsody.

Well IMO the general portion of rap these days is created by those freaks who are only self-centered and can barely think of a good lyric is they werent so high all the time. "50 cent wouldnt know a good lyric if it was thrusted so far up his arse that he had an orgasm from prostate arousion" - Stewie. BUT there are definately acceptions. tupac was brilliant and the general part of the oldest rap was awesome, all against the mental oppresion that imprisons us and all the fuck society stuff was great as it empowered the opressed with the ability to voice their hatred i public. then, as generally happened, human greed, corruption and all that shit came into play and we end up with one big orgastrated cyst that is modern hiphop and rap. eminem was orginal. dr dre was orginal but now they are a part of the single minded mob that modern music is today. that said, i think it unfortunately is music and there is some great stuff out. the australian eminem? Scribe and Pmoney could kick any aussie wank lyrically and musically. Pmoney and scribe both create rap that originates from old rap. their videos are all about trying to unite people together against all this nonsensical rubbish that society throws at us and about trying to stick through the crap that is life, and even though it can be seriously depressing that there is still a brighter side. i never could be bothered searching for good rap because i would have to wade through all the crap that is out there. i only listen to it if is great and way better than average and if i come across some rap like that, i may just so listen to it and appreciate it, but as far as ive come across on the internet, the general portion of rap in the world is sludge of vile immoral sexual greed-influenced shit which needs to sink into the mire as fast as it possible fucking can. and to those who think we're morons for supporting rap and hiphop, DILLIGAF?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #107
Underlying Truth

I consider Rap/hip hop music. In fact, it's influenced some other genres of music too, such as ska, bands like The Suicide Machines (RIP) have used some Rap in some songs brilliantly. I just think many people have become biased on the genre from most of the modern artists attitude and lyrics who've badly tainted the genre now. They've taken the genre, used it's name as an excuse to label what they do as music, and made it all about the image and ego. I still listen to artists like Public Enemy who yes indeed used Drums and stuff, and really like KRS-One (who if you don't know and like good rap should check out). Rap/Hip hop isn't dead, it's just gone underground really. I'm gonna go and check out Pmoney now who sounds awesome.
Underlying Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #108
Loy

Corpsey-Rap started by Blondie? No, Blondie used a bit of rap in "Rapture", but it was already in existance....in fact, whilst some people claim "Rapture" to be the first time rap made the record charts, these people forget "Rappers Delight" by the Sugarhill Gang. But these people don't realise that rapping had been around for wuite a while in NYC, as it was an offshoot of the beat poets. (If you're history is confused, beat poets originally based the rythm of their poems to jazz tunes, and when jazz started entering the realm of rock, and bastardizing into the more experimental forms such as Motown style R & B, funk, art rock, and whatever the hell Miles Davis was doing, this kind of poetry morphed into "rapping").

As far as rap being mostly created by self-centered egotistical freaks.....and how's this different from, say, goth bands? Punk bands? Rock bands? Etc....This type of hypocrisy in attitudes is something that's always bugged me about people who sritique hiphop, and points towards a latent racism in attitudes. I mean, I have yet to hear anybody bitch about Johnny Cash singing about "shooting a man just to see him die", or Joy Division's "Just a minor operation - to force a final ultimatum"...and hell, how many people here dig Type O Negative?

The other way to look at it is-to complain about any artist being socially irresponsible as a means to dismiss a style or genre as a whole is idiotic on a REALLY basic level. Maybe if you took some classes in critical thinking...or hell, even logical thinking....you'd get this. I mean, in reality, the only responsibility an artist of any kind has, as far as their art is concerned, is to express themselves. Outside of the "creation" proccess...yes, they are humans in a society, and thus have to be responsible for their actions. But as for their art....I prefer to go with Dali's statement "good taste is the enemy of all art".

Sorry, but the "all rappers do is talk about bitches and thugging" line is (or should be) called what it is-bullshit. Anybody who says this just isn't familiar with hip-hop at all. I (and Pitseleh) have pointed out plenty, plenty, PLENTY of examples of artists who don't fall into this category, yet you people (corpsey and every other whiner) just can't seem to get this basic point.

But this ties into another thought I have-most of the hip-hop bought by suburbanite kids is "gangsta" rap. In other words, the biggest cash cow is playing the role of a thug. So these children buy only the thug shit, thus creating this image of rappers only being about thugging to everybody else around them...you know, people who've never been to a big city.

And of course this type of ignorance is easilly cured-fucking go out and look for yourself. Simple, I know, but sometimes people need others to tell them how to view things (we live in America after all).

A Simple Poet-yes, yes you are.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #109
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
As far as rap being mostly created by self-centered egotistical freaks.....and how's this different from, say, goth bands? Punk bands? Rock bands? Etc....This type of hypocrisy in attitudes is something that's always bugged me about people who sritique hiphop, and points towards a latent racism in attitudes. I mean, I have yet to hear anybody bitch about Johnny Cash singing about "shooting a man just to see him die", or Joy Division's "Just a minor operation - to force a final ultimatum"...and hell, how many people here dig Type O Negative?
I said modern music today is all generally crap. I also stated that the old stuff was amazing. i also gave examples of great hiophop/rap artists

Scribe
http://www.nzmusic.com/artist.cfm?i=737

Scribe
http://www.nzmusic.com/artist.cfm?i=399

P money's song sung by scribe which is mind blowing
http://xtramsn.co.nz/music/0,,13572-4184262-128,00.html

Also since my last post i discovered this new sub-genre of rap from france which is called La nouvelle sin francais and 1 of the better arists is this guy called Manau, and i found this video here
http://www.vidilife.com/index.cfm?f=...&action=search

Also i am taking classes in critical thinking and realise it is all an attitude, like rock and most music genre's have an attitude. I dont hate rap i just hate ALL SHIT MUSIC. the general amount of pop, rock, punk, rap, r&b, goth, death metal etc that i have heard is all shit and i dislike it. also im not a racist. i fucking hate racism. it is all just simple minded fucks who are just afraid of things and focus this fear at a distinguishable group of people different from them.
"D12 - I aint no racist, i just hate whites"

i hate people who are racists and never want to be even considered a part of tthem. go to south africa and you'll see what i mean.

I understand that they are all just expressing themselves, i just say that the way most musicians express themselves is farily basic and musically at a loss of talent. i even read a book about hiphop and rap and it said that it was finally a way for people to make money without any physical or mental talent! in short i only enjoy listening to the best, and i wouldnt live off the rest of the stuff but i would put up with it.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #110
Defy

I Hate
I Very Hate Rap Music
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #111
mansongothicmadonnababy14

I very hate rap music too. Sometimes I vary in my hate for rap music, depending on how rap music varies, but I very very hate it. I know that.
mansongothicmadonnababy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #112
Godslayer Jillian

Hello, manson"yadda ya"baby.
I read your post in the politics board, and I liked it. So, in order to be a regular in this site, would you like making yourself an introduction?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 01:34 AM   #113
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defy
I Hate
I Very Hate Rap Music

Haha, this Thai dude makes me laugh.

If I spoke in my native language to him, it'd make him cringe.

I want to call him "Eay Sut" or "Eay hua daw"

I wonder if he'd get it :P

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 AM   #114
Kari

well Music is music, Yes I listen to rap, but I get tired of all the fucking, "whores, pimps, strippers, ass all up in the screen on uncut" And I really don't like how that is getting into the society, But now I only listen to songs that have a meaning, etc. (Kanye west, even tupac)
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #115
Somber Illusions

I enjoy listening to some rap artists such as:

Missy Elliot
Eminem
Chingy
Busta Rhymes
Snoop Dog
DMX

In my opinion, they're all the same, kind of like today's punk rock.
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:08 PM   #116
bjork_freak

I'm with you on the first one. Missy Elliott is a classic. Though I can't say her recent albums have been the best.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:30 AM   #117
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
When rap began it was decent but like everything "Alternative" that has been corporatised has gone down the proverbial pooper. Rap these days (for the large part, there are exceptions) is just about booty and bling bling, why it is so amazingly popular is beyond me.
happy_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:36 AM   #118
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_dude
When rap began it was decent but like everything "Alternative" that has been corporatised has gone down the proverbial pooper. Rap these days (for the large part, there are exceptions) is just about booty and bling bling, why it is so amazingly popular is beyond me.
'Cause booties are awesome. Duh.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #119
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
Saying 'rap sucks' because of shitty mainstream stuff is like saying 'punk sucks' because of Blink 182, or 'goths suck' because of Marilyn Manson.

Ever listen to fucking Life Goes On by Tupac? It's like the greatest fucking song ever. Those vibes are fucking awesome. Most Tupac kicks ass, in fact, and I like some others like Twiztid and the Kottonmouth Kings. Don't just generalize about rap, most of these haters have probably never really listened to rap before coming to a conclusion.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #120
bjork_freak

Kinflame, he said when rap began it was good. Tupac's music isn't modern (except for the posthumous albums produced).
Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 AM   #121
Kinflame

Location: FGBWIERville, MKBJJKaryland, Unintelligent Shithole of America.
I was addressing people like A Simple Poet and Defy, not happy dude.
Kinflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #122
bjork_freak

Oh ok, sorry about that.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #123
Defy

Ha Ha Ha

It's Okay Kinflame, you're right

and Demonista_Ravenesque

ei ei

all i want to say to you is "E-Dok" or " "E-Sut"

---------

I don't like rap music even my bandmate really love it, his side project is rap metal

I try to do something with his project but I can't!

I don't like hip hop rhythm, it's not my groove
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #124
tekajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjork_freak
'Cause booties are awesome. Duh.
Exactly. "...I found you Miss New Booty, get it together then bring it back to me, hit the Player's Club for 'bout a month or two put his hand on it and see what he do..."

i don't see why music has to always "mean" something. Or why if someone says they just like a song...because it sounds good, some people snub their nose and think themselves high and mighty cause...they only listen to sociopolitical meaningful stuff...

...fuck, sometimes i just want to put on some "booty bling" music, grab a styrofoam cup, fill it up, kick it with a female and let fucking loose. Or rattle the walls with some double bass drum speed metal, jump around, headbang, and...let fucking loose.

"...what chu know 'bout dat..."

Did i go off topic? Fuck.

Booties are awesome indeed.
tekajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #125
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defy
Ha Ha Ha

It's Okay Kinflame, you're right

and Demonista_Ravenesque

ei ei