Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
deathbecomesme

Make-Up Help please

I was wondering if some of the females here could give me some advice on make-up? and what they like to see on guys, i know theirs a topic about make-up on guys but this is also a ask if one of you could make i how to sort of guide for makeup on guys?
...the costume without the brain."
--Peter Murphy
deathbecomesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
SKot

How about a few make-up tips for guys from a guy? Particularly:

- whiteface on dark skin that ends at the neck looks horrible
- facial hair and goth make-up don't mix well (particularly with beards)
- try to resist drawing squigglies all over your face with your eyeliner

Thanks.

--SKot
SKot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
deathbecomesme

I don't have dark skin, trust me im as white and pall as a person can get.

I don't have facail hair, hate it shave every day.

I don't use eyeliner cause i don't know how, hint i need help.
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
ashleyxnicole

Use eyeliner! Classic.
Put eyeliner on the inside lid and line your lashes with it.
ashleyxnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #5
deathbecomesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyxnicole
Use eyeliner! Classic.
Put eyeliner on the inside lid and line your lashes with it.
Ok how do i do that excatly?
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
BlackButterfly

Eyeliner takes practice tor a few reasons:

When lining the waterline (the part up against your eye along the lower lashes) you don't want to poke the old eyeball. You also want to get as close to the lash line as possible so there won't be any unattractive gaps.

Figuring out what thickness of line to use (thick suits some while thin suits others), and whether or not to smudge for a smoky look...

Finding a liner suitable for the delicate skin around the eye (cheap pencil sometimes irritates and can be rather rough).

Deciding on liquid vs. Kohl powder vs. pencil...

If you don't know anything about applying makeup, it's better to learn the basics before you start drawing all over your face. I learned basic makeup tips from books at the library (but I learned almost every damned thing from books at the library). You can also get a female friend (who will give you flat-out honest opinions about how you look doing this) to help. Once you learn the basics, you can move up and develop your own aesthetic. It shouldn't take longer than a few weeks if you practice a lot.
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #7
deathbecomesme

Ok so whats the difference between Liquid, Kohl powder, or a pencil?
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-19-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
I find a pencil, unless you get really good one, tends to smudge after a few hours. (My fianceé likes that smudged and smokey look. It smudges just at the right time. :P) I am a bit more anal about my eyeliner. I perfer things to stay in place. You can find long last eyeliners, by Mac, Revlon or what have you if you need something that is long wearing.

I've also seen on this site and others that a thin make-up or detail paint brush can be used if the original brush is too ackward to manipulate.
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
BlackButterfly

Level of difficulty, for one.

Pencil is the easiest to apply, and cheapest to find. You can get many effects (from smooth, clean and straight to smoky and smudged) with a quality pencil as well. The cheapest pencils don't last long at all, but there are smudge-free, long lasting formulas that cost a more but are worth it. Unless you have a liquid-smooth pencil, I advise against the ever-popular drawing designs on the face. It tends to look like your little brother doodled on you while you were sleeping if you don't do it well.

Next up (to me) is liquid eyeliner. This invariably is used for a smooth clean line, and you can also paint rather lovely designs (when you develop a steady hand) if you have a good fine-point brush. The problems you may run into? Some formulas flake on natural skin (those flakes can get in the eye and irritate), others are thin and bleed through the lash line into the eye. Liquid liner is something you don't want to touch your eyeball (first hand experience).

Kohl powder (which also comes in cakes - like eyeshadow -if you know where to get it) definitely takes a steady hand, but it can be applied wet or dry, and can also be used as an eyeshadow, so with time, practice, and a monster collection of brushes you can get the most effects, but you had better not shed a single tear when you have it on!
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
Old 01-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
deathbecomesme

Ok well i think for eyeliner i will stick to the pencil option since it seems the easy way of going. Any other make-up options?
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
BlackButterfly

Well, as SKot duly noted, you can do the pale thing without going completely whiteface (which does not suit all contrary to popular belief). Paler is usually a LOT better than totally white.

Find you your shade of foundation first of all (not the approximation, but YOUR SHADE), and go lighter one or two in the same color family (color family means that some makeup lines--M.A.C. is one, but there's also Revlon, and Maybelline and other street lines). Best way to do this is to go to the makeup counter at the mall (yes yes, I know, just tell them it's for photography) and ask someone who looks like they'll be OK with it (there's always one) if they will help you find your shade. From there you can ask for the number and look at the display to find the next lighter shade (usually to the left or right).

c130
Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
deathbecomesme

Ok i have no problem going to the makeup counter at the mall, heck i went into a viccy secerets and asked for a thong and said it was for me before(as a joke only, no intend to wear the thing).

How can i get a look like this:
http://viona-art.com/fotomap/gothic/...d/DSC_3711.jpg
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
ashleyxnicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbecomesme
Ok how do i do that excatly?
I don't really know how to go into further detail. Just come over and I'll do a demonstration. haha.
ashleyxnicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
deathbecomesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyxnicole
I don't really know how to go into further detail. Just come over and I'll do a demonstration. haha.
With pleasure. :P
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 PM   #15
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbecomesme
That's not terribly difficult at all! If you're not that pale and using foundation to get paler skin than you already have, just remember to blend it into the hairline, ears, and neck. Don't go all the way down the neck or you'll get makeup into your collar! It takes a bit of practice to work that "perfect fade".

For the eyes, the makeup artist did the red eyeshadow first (you can also use blush--that's a fairly common shade) all around the eye with a small applicator or brush. Then he/she drew a fairly thick line completely around the eye ( but not lining the waterline) with a black pencil. Lining along the bottom lashes is a bit tricky sometimes (it's easy to poke yourself) so get a good smooth pencil for that. Sometimes you have to use a different pencil for the upper and lower lashes.

This guy has a sort of strong brow bone (hence the deep-set eyes), so this may look different on you depending on your bone structure. If your eyes are a different color you may want to ask the makeup counter person to pick a shade of red that will accent them.

c130
Old 01-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #16
deathbecomesme

Ok will buy some of that stuff next payday, and give that a try. Anything esle that guys can do that looks good to ladies?
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #17
DarkHeartedDemoness

As far as makeup? Or as far as aesthetics? Or are we now going for just in general?
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #18
deathbecomesme

I don't know, lets just go with general.
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #19
DarkHeartedDemoness

Guys that like me for who I am, not for how I compare to other girls, are always great. I don't want to hear about your ex unless it's a really funny story or pertinent to a conversation we need to have concerning our relationships. That means no bringing her up in casual conversation unless you want me to be pissed and to hate myself for being pissed.

If I ask you "Do I look fat in this?", I prefer a truthful answer. I know my body isn't perfect, and if my jeans fit me in such a way that I look like I have elephant-thighs, I'd rather know before I leave the house. I understand that just because my jeans aren't flattering that doesn't mean you think I'm fat-- but be sure to phrase it carefully, because you better not call me fat. If my jeans DO make me look fat, please tell me before I leave while I still have time to change. Telling me as we're walking in to a restaurant will just make my self-esteem plummet until I can change.

It's a delicate situation, I know. Handle with care.

Don't tell me you love me because you think I expect it. If you feel like saying that you love me, say it, but don't use it so much that it loses its meaning. Don't be offended if I don't tell you I love you as much as you tell me you love me. That doesn't mean I love you less than you love me. It means that I am less expressive.

It's ok to call me when you're "just thinking about me", unless it's the 3rd time you've called and I'm with my best friend from high school who happens to be male. Jealousy is unbecoming. If you really are "just thinking about me", a text message with a sweet little missive is plenty when I'm out with my friends, male or female. I don't mean to be ungrateful, and I still love you, but sometimes I want to just hang out with my friends.

If we're hanging out and you leave the room, please follow this protocol: If you're going to be back within 10 minutes, you don't have to say anything. If you're going to be longer, please tell me what's going on or I'll get pissed.

If you receive a phone call when we're hanging out, it's perfectly acceptable to take the call. That being said, please limit the time you're on the phone. Also, I'm curious by nature-- It's preferable that you comment on the conversation you just had when you get off the phone. I'm not prying into the intimate details of your life, "work stuff" is a perfectly acceptable comment.

Is that enough, or should I keep going?
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #20
deathbecomesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeartedDemoness
Guys that like me for who I am, not for how I compare to other girls, are always great. I don't want to hear about your ex unless it's a really funny story or pertinent to a conversation we need to have concerning our relationships. That means no bringing her up in casual conversation unless you want me to be pissed and to hate myself for being pissed.
Ok let me get all this staight, i don't do that anyways with the girls i go out with, my pass relationships are in the past best left their unless its nessacery.

Quote:
If I ask you "Do I look fat in this?", I prefer a truthful answer. I know my body isn't perfect, and if my jeans fit me in such a way that I look like I have elephant-thighs, I'd rather know before I leave the house. I understand that just because my jeans aren't flattering that doesn't mean you think I'm fat-- but be sure to phrase it carefully, because you better not call me fat. If my jeans DO make me look fat, please tell me before I leave while I still have time to change. Telling me as we're walking in to a restaurant will just make my self-esteem plummet until I can change.
I am normaly honest about stuff like that as it is. Only i have misphrased it on more than one time. OWW

Quote:
Don't tell me you love me because you think I expect it. If you feel like saying that you love me, say it, but don't use it so much that it loses its meaning. Don't be offended if I don't tell you I love you as much as you tell me you love me. That doesn't mean I love you less than you love me. It means that I am less expressive.
Ok, well to be honest i do that as it is.

Quote:
It's ok to call me when you're "just thinking about me", unless it's the 3rd time you've called and I'm with my best friend from high school who happens to be male. Jealousy is unbecoming. If you really are "just thinking about me", a text message with a sweet little missive is plenty when I'm out with my friends, male or female. I don't mean to be ungrateful, and I still love you, but sometimes I want to just hang out with my friends.
I don't get jealousy really easy, i usually trust whoever i am going out with.

Quote:
If we're hanging out and you leave the room, please follow this protocol: If you're going to be back within 10 minutes, you don't have to say anything. If you're going to be longer, please tell me what's going on or I'll get pissed.
Ok, will start to do that.

Quote:
If you receive a phone call when we're hanging out, it's perfectly acceptable to take the call. That being said, please limit the time you're on the phone. Also, I'm curious by nature-- It's preferable that you comment on the conversation you just had when you get off the phone. I'm not prying into the intimate details of your life, "work stuff" is a perfectly acceptable comment.
Ok

Quote:
Is that enough, or should I keep going?
Yes please keep going...
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #21
Delicate_Torture

Be interesting and be interested.

It isn't about how you look. If you like someone and you want them to have similar feelings for you then take the time to get to know them. Talk with them and find out what they are interested in. Once you find those things out then use them to surprise her-but in different and interesting ways.

If she likes a certain author, don't bother buying her their latest book (boring), find out when and where they are doing their next booksigning and take her as a surprise. If you can't arrange this then most publishers or authors will have a website and often you can request to buy a signed copy.

If she likes a certain band, don't bother buying her their latest CD (boring), find out about their next gig and take her along to it... if you contact the promoters then you might be able to organise a 'meet and greet' for her with the band members. My best friends (now ex-)girlfriend did this for him and he got to meet Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits.

If she is in love with her new puppy then find out about the local dog club and take her along to a meeting of it, that way you'll get to spend the day wandering around a park with her. If she likes roses, instead of buying her a dozen roses just have a single rose delivered to her each day for a week.

There is so much that you can do to bring mystery into someone's life and get them thinking about you. This way you are showing her that you find her interesting, that you listen to what she is saying and care about her enjoyment, and at the same time you are piquing her interest to find out more about you.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #22
deathbecomesme

@Delicate_Torture: thanks, i have done that book signing one with a prevouis girlfreind. Thanks for the advice.

Any more stuff to know?
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #23
DarkHeartedDemoness

I think we're done with makeup advice, eh?

Seems silly for this to be in the fashion section, then.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 01-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #24
deathbecomesme

Quote:
I think we're done with makeup advice, eh?

Seems silly for this to be in the fashion section, then.
Well i still want makeup help too, just the other help too.
--Peter Murphy
Old 01-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #25
deathbecomesme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spright
The key to a girl's heart is that there is no key. There is no set thing to do, you're either fucked or you're set. Situations, and circumstance are the only way.

You're not going to get a girl no matter how good you are if she's deeply interested in a guy. Then you just look tacky and assholish.

If she just got out of a relationship good luck again, you're probably a rebound.

If she's been done for a long time, and you just saved her life from 10 great whites by fighting them off with your awesome ninja skills, then got her some awesome burritos (which is her favorite), then recited a gorgeous poem from memory.

Maybe, maybe you'll get to hold her hand later.
Im not looking for the key to a girls heart, just trying to find ways to better improve my physical appearance, and in the process get some tips for relationships.

Right...
--Peter Murphy