Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #51
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Mond
But splitting's reproduction, isn't it? Aren't those usually asexual?

They can share DNA and yes.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #52
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
They can share DNA and yes.
A person's child would share their DNA. Does that make it the same person? Even if a person reproduced through splitting, it wouldn't be the same "individual". It could possibly be considered part of a 'collective', though. So killing a bacteria spore (spore?) would be like scraping a knee.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #53
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
A person's child would share their DNA. Does that make it the same person? Even if a person reproduced through splitting, it wouldn't be the same "individual". It could possibly be considered part of a 'collective', though. So killing a bacteria spore (spore?) would be like scraping a knee.

I was saying the sharing the DNA as how the introduce variable's through bacteria sex. Bacteria don't have spores and unlike human cells they are separate organisms in their own right.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #54
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
I was saying the sharing the DNA as how the introduce variable's through bacteria sex. Bacteria don't have spores and unlike human cells they are separate organisms in their own right.
Bacteria don't generally have sex though, do they? I always thought it was an eat-'til-you-pop-one type of deal. And a lot of bacteria are symbiotic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endospore
Old 11-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #55
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Bacteria don't generally have sex though, do they? I always thought it was an eat-'til-you-pop-one type of deal. And a lot of bacteria are symbiotic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endospore

Its not really sex. More of a exchange of information. And yes a lot are. Just as we depend on them to be in our gut.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 PM   #56
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Its not really sex. More of a exchange of information. And yes a lot are. Just as we depend on them to be in our gut.
I'd call that a collective.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #57
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac
Since we are all about testing on lesser forms of life, why can we just not test on humans in third world countries? We'd decrease population. We could then feed their leftover meat to the hungry and make tents of their flesh for the homeless so that those higher up the human food chain can live better with Red No. 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgpa7wEAz7I
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #58
KontanKarite

I just had some chicken for dinner.

But whatever. What I would like to understand is how these tests on animals are at proving anything. Exactly what are they trying to figure out? Allergy reactions? I mean... a cleaning agent? Exactly what does a cleaning agent need an animal to test on for?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #59
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
I'd call that a collective.
You can call the whole earth a collective.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #60
TheBloodEternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
But whatever. What I would like to understand is how these tests on animals are at proving anything. Exactly what are they trying to figure out? Allergy reactions? I mean... a cleaning agent? Exactly what does a cleaning agent need an animal to test on for?
That's exactly what I thought reading that list, "why the fuck does ArmorAll need animal testing?" I guessed it could be allergy testing until I saw Clorox on the list... I'm pretty sure we know by now that bleach is not good for your skin.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #61
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Actually there's a big flaw in that. There's merit to that feeling, but it's blinded to holistic empiricism. By that, I mean that it becomes more and more obvious that the best way to fix something is to fix everything.
For instance, I'm not a vegan, but my knowledge in it has led me to find out that if we followed a vegan diet, we could feed everyone and reduce our magnitude of influence in the environment by 300%
I don't know that that's true.
I've read that if everyone suddenly became vegan, most people would die of starvation because we wouldn't be able to grow enough food for everyone.

Also, it's important to not that the problem with world hunger isn't that we don't have enough food.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #62
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
You can call the whole earth a collective.
While Gaia Theory's an interesting idea, it's not a passing comparison to a single species of bacteria, since the Earth has many different life forms. And single-celled animals die much faster than most other creatures and by myriad causes.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #63
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
I don't know that that's true.
I've read that if everyone suddenly became vegan, most people would die of starvation because we wouldn't be able to grow enough food for everyone.
What you've read is bonkers.

Quote:
Also, it's important to not that the problem with world hunger isn't that we don't have enough food.
True.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #64
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
What you've read is bonkers.

I don't know...we'd need a shitton of space. Where would peeps be livin'?
Old 11-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #65
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
I don't know...we'd need a shitton of space. Where would peeps be livin'?
Cows take more room than any form of vegetation.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #66
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Cows take more room than any form of vegetation.
Definitely this. One of my favourite statistics regarding Veganism, one that Jillian was cumming over not too long ago:

1 acre of agriculture makes as much protein as 10 dedicated to meat.

TEN!

We could eat ten times as much and use as many resources!
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #67
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Definitely this. One of my favourite statistics regarding Veganism, one that Jillian was cumming over not too long ago:

TEN!

I like meats.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #68
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC

TEN!

I may have a work-around for the required acreage: veal.

More seriously though, the inefficiency of a meat-based diet is kind of a turn off for me. I may start working my way back to vegetarianism.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:29 PM   #69
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I like meats.
Yeah, but the obvious and every time more accepted benefits of a vegan diet, trying to be defeated by the argument "I like meat" is simply terrible.
You could more easily justify slavery with that. "Other people do what I have to do and I can do whatever I want in my time. It is entirely illusory to believe that humankind wouldn't want that if given the opportunity. Humankind is selfish."

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #70
Cicero

It's pretty far fetched that the entire world will ever give up meat completely. On top of the fact that a good lot of people are happily carnivores on the grounds of mere taste, a lot of people just can't absorb nutrients from plant sources properly. About half the people I know who've tried veganism or vegetarianism ended up having to give it up because their bodies just couldn't handle it. And no, it's not because they were all doing it wrong.

The whole issue about the space and energy that goes into raising livestock is being addressed by bioengineers through research into creating meat without animals. Why bother raising entire organisms with brains and bodies to feed when such a small part of them ends up being put to use?

I think in terms of what consumers will actually buy into, laboratory grown meat is a far more likely solution to efficient food production than all-out veganism. I mean fuck, if people can still wolf down shit like McDonald's and Coca Cola a bit of in vitro muscle tissue will fit into current consumer trends perfectly. Fake is delicious, apparently.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #71
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Yeah, but the obvious and every time more accepted benefits of a vegan diet, trying to be defeated by the argument "I like meat" is simply terrible.
You could more easily justify slavery with that. "Other people do what I have to do and I can do whatever I want in my time. It is entirely illusory to believe that humankind wouldn't want that if given the opportunity. Humankind is selfish."
I wasn't trying to defeat anything. I was saying I like meat.
I don't feel like I have to justify anything. I'm going to keep eating meat. If that makes you sad or angry, sorry, but I'm not going to stop eating meat. I try to buy meat that's raised in a pasture rather than on a cement floor, but I'm not going to stop eating meat.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #72
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I don't feel like I have to justify anything. I'm going to keep eating meat. If that makes you sad or angry, sorry, but I'm not going to stop eating meat.
I eat meat. It doesn't anger me. What angers me is that you're justifying your 'not needing a justification' for just a wordy "I don't care"

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #73
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I eat meat. It doesn't anger me. What angers me is that you're justifying your 'not needing a justification' for just a wordy "I don't care"
I'm not justifying anything. I was explaining what I said.
It doesn't really make a lot of sense to say I don't care, because nothing I've said suggests that.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #74
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I think in terms of what consumers will actually buy into, laboratory grown meat is a far more likely solution to efficient food production than all-out veganism. I mean fuck, if people can still wolf down shit like McDonald's and Coca Cola a bit of in vitro muscle tissue will fit into current consumer trends perfectly. Fake is delicious, apparently.
You are most likely right here, and I can see it taking off once the logistics are figured out, especially if the price per pound can beat out traditional meat. Mass acceptance is based on convenience.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #75
Raptor

Not all land is suited to growing and harvesting crops for people, especially on a large scale. Animals can eat on terrain difficult for farming equipment.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote