Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #26
Malice In Wonderland

I don't think she was being racist at all.
I actually think it was all pretty funny.
It was the cultural stereotype she was using.
I was amazed some people took her seriously.
And apparently still are...

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #27
Underwater Ophelia

I fucking love Lakita, and no, it's not racist.

Making a joke of stereotypes is a good thing.
Stereotypes SHOULD be considered a joke.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #28
Raptor

It's funny.

Bonquisha's posts have seemed pretty normal anyway.

Also, I don't think EVERYONE got it. Which makes it even better.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #29
Pyre

I didn't really care. My point wasn't to be like "OH SHIT GUYS," but rather just let him/her know that its act was clear. I have said in posts before Bonquisha even appeared that I suspected Lakita to be a white person just trying to be a nuisance, and I am probably still correct. I didn't post this because I was like "omg I totally thought she was a dumb black woman," I posted it because I wanted to let it know that I have finally proven s/he isn't. I have no problem with Lakita/Bonquisha's presence here, as s/he's made it clear that s/he's an intelligent being, moreso than some others here. I am not annoyed by its presence here, I would just have preferred if it didn't try posing as someone/something it's not in order to form an identity for itself. My aggravation is not with his/her activity on the forums, but rather all of its lies.

And don't complain about my inconsistent use of pronouns. I was too lazy to care.

P.S. Some people like Opteron TOTALLY fell for the act, which was amusing. It also made him look like a racist prick.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #30
Gothic.net

Portraying a racist stereotype while being a troll is racist.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #31
Duane

Man, you need to relax.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #32
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Man, you need to relax.
How would I react differently if I were more relaxed?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #33
Duane

Maybe laugh it off, and move onto something more important?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #34
Lady Christine

I don't really care... I didn't respond to her if I didn't want to, and I ignored her if she bothered me, but to each their own, I wasn't offended by her. I also live up north so I don't see many black people in day to day life.
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #35
Gothic.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Maybe laugh it off, and move onto something more important?
Or ask regular members what their opinion was?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #36
Mir

And their near unanimous opinion was along the lines of, "No more bannination! No more!".
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #37
Duane

My opinion is that the bans need to stop, and we need a new admin, to be honest.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #38
maggot

No more bans/intervention.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #39
Xombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre View Post
I am not annoyed by its presence here, I would just have preferred if it didn't try posing as someone/something it's not in order to form an identity for itself. My aggravation is not with his/her activity on the forums, but rather all of its lies.
You need to realize that this is the internet, and this probably happens way more than you suspect. The only difference is that other people don't GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to MAKE it obvious that they're doing it, like Lakita/Bonquisha is doing.

This person is probably just applauding you, thinking that you're the dumb one for being the last to "catch on," since she made it utterly clear from the beginning.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #40
Geoluhread

Wow.. You had free time on your hands and you wasted it on this?
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #41
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
I'm not sure it's about race actually. It's about culture and subculture. We have some black goths here and they are good long standing members.

I just finished reading Goth: Identity, Style and Subculture by Paul Hodkinson and he argued that goths usually identify themselves as goth before their race or sex. ie: a black goth thinks of himself as goth before thinking of himself as black or that he is a "goth who is black" rather than a "black goth" and given the choice between hanging out with white goths or black non-goths he will prefer to hang out with the white goths.
I totally disagree with that due to the fact that I see myself as black first and foremost. I tend to do my own thing but my race is my main focus (in that I see myself as one of few black employees at my job, finding many black students but few in the faculty, etc.).
Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #42
Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanePain
Does enjoying Blazing Saddles make me racist?
No, it makes you a man with a mature sense of humor and a fan of Gene Wilder films.

"Hey Boys! Look at what I've found!"

"Where all the white women at?"

*Mugs KKK Members to disguise themselves*

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:10 PM   #43
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
You need to realize that this is the internet, and this probably happens way more than you suspect. The only difference is that other people don't GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to MAKE it obvious that they're doing it, like Lakita/Bonquisha is doing.

This person is probably just applauding you, thinking that you're the dumb one for being the last to "catch on," since she made it utterly clear from the beginning.
How am I the last one to catch on? If you read my posts toward Lakita, you'll see pretty clearly that I have been making accusations of her for awhile. Stop making assumptions, it really makes you look like an ass. And making a simple change to a URL is hardly going out of my way.

Again, I wasn't slow on the catch, but some members were, so instead of saying "troll is troll" like everyone else I said "troll is bullshitting." There were members here who sincerely believed Lakita was some illiterate, white bashing black woman, and this thread was, in part, to let these people know otherwise. I really don't give a damn if Lakita/Bonquisha stays, but to the members that respond to it I am dispelling the idea it's a dumb black woman.

I can understand where Gothic.net is coming on this. Although it was humorous, she was certainly playing on stereotypes severely which could be seen as offensive. However, we are a predominantly white community, so it didn't illicit much of a negative response save from a few (e.g. Opteron).

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #44
Saya

Quote:
How am I the last one to catch on? If you read my posts toward Lakita, you'll see pretty clearly that I have been making accusations of her for awhile. Stop making assumptions, it really makes you look like an ass. And making a simple change to a URL is hardly going out of my way.

Again, I wasn't slow on the catch, but some members were, so instead of saying "troll is troll" like everyone else I said "troll is bullshitting." There were members here who sincerely believed Lakita was some illiterate, white bashing black woman, and this thread was, in part, to let these people know otherwise. I really don't give a damn if Lakita/Bonquisha stays, but to the members that respond to it I am dispelling the idea it's a dumb black woman.

I can understand where Gothic.net is coming on this. Although it was humorous, she was certainly playing on stereotypes severely which could be seen as offensive. However, we are a predominantly white community, so it didn't illicit much of a negative response save from a few (e.g. Opteron).
Pyre, Opteron is a special case. He will believe anything you tell him. He believes in perpetual motion. If we all tip toed around just because of his gullibility, we would never be allowed to ever make a joke again.

Who else thought that she was serious?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #45
Pyre

Some members I never really pay attention to thought she was serious (I skim through a lot of posts). Opteron only stands out in my mind because of the numerous times he's referred to her as a knuckle-dragging heathen, or sumshit. People paid more attention to Bonquisha because s/he actually wrote legibly and made arguments and participated, and that is fine. I only wanted to show the fact it's not a black woman, and let some people know who had not already put it together that the two accounts were run by the same person.

I don't care if Bonquisha stays (or rather the person behind the account), but I don't see the point in pretending to be something it's not when it's no longer trying to instigate racial discrimination through the Lakita account.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #46
Jonathan

Thank you for your diligent internet detective work on our behalf. Some people will write snarky responses, but personally I cannot thank you enough for ensuring I will not be yet another victim.

Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #47
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Thank you for your diligent internet detective work on our behalf. Some people will write snarky responses, but personally I cannot thank you enough for ensuring I will not be yet another victim.

Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Sarcasm, clever! Shit, I never thought of that before. You've really put me in my place. Bravo.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #48
Saya

Quote:
Some members I never really pay attention to thought she was serious (I skim through a lot of posts). Opteron only stands out in my mind because of the numerous times he's referred to her as a knuckle-dragging heathen, or sumshit. People paid more attention to Bonquisha because s/he actually wrote legibly and made arguments and participated, and that is fine. I only wanted to show the fact it's not a black woman, and let some people know who had not already put it together that the two accounts were run by the same person.

I don't care if Bonquisha stays (or rather the person behind the account), but I don't see the point in pretending to be something it's not when it's no longer trying to instigate racial discrimination through the Lakita account.
She wasn't instigating racial discrimination, she was being the joke. And seeing as you just skimmed through the posts you really can't have been all that concerned about other people thinking she's actually black.

Get away from the computer, go outside. Go to the nearest Home Depot. Go to the Gardening section. Find a salesman. Tell him I sent you. He'll give you a packet of seeds and a potting plant. Go home, plant these seeds, place in direct sunlight, water twice a day, and wait. After a week, you will have grown a sense of humour.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #49
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
She wasn't instigating racial discrimination, she was being the joke. And seeing as you just skimmed through the posts you really can't have been all that concerned about other people thinking she's actually black.

Get away from the computer, go outside. Go to the nearest Home Depot. Go to the Gardening section. Find a salesman. Tell him I sent you. He'll give you a packet of seeds and a potting plant. Go home, plant these seeds, place in direct sunlight, water twice a day, and wait. After a week, you will have grown a sense of humour.
Don't eat the flower though. I know it might look pretty, but it is for seeing not tasting.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #50
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post

Like I said earlier, it was only in part for the members, but mostly for the troll itself. Maybe it'll come back with a different account and pretend to be Asian. I prefer yellows, anyway.