Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #101
Solumina

Well now you know ^_^
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #102
Duane

Yes I do, now I will use this information to better myself, as other people should use certain information to better themselves.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #103
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Nobody asserts dominance for comic relief, they assert dominance to be dominant. Some succeed and are rewarded with a dominant role (in this little scenario that would be a higher social standing) some fail and are punished by falling under the dominance of their contender.

Also, for future reference, the word however should have a comma both before and after.
Well, I dont feel like arguing about this shit anymore, so I'll just go ahead and admit it:

I yearn so much to be as elite as you all, I cry myself to sleep every night, I've even slit my wrists 3 times in the past week. Please, oh PLEASE take me under your unfathomably great whim and teach me the ways of the socially challenged.
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #104
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLich View Post
Please, oh PLEASE take me under your unfathomably great whim
That really should be "wing" not "whim"
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #105
ArchLich

Quote:
That really should be "wing" not "whim"
Yeah I was second guessing myself on that :-/
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #106
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLich View Post
Well, I dont feel like arguing about this shit anymore, so I'll just go ahead and admit it:

I yearn so much to be as elite as you all, I cry myself to sleep every night, I've even slit my wrists 3 times in the past week. Please, oh PLEASE take me under your unfathomably great whim and teach me the ways of the socially challenged.
If this was serious, I'd be the first to coddle you. The fact you said this though makes me want to throw you into a wall. The people here aren't being elitist to you, you're just being an ass. I know that's what you 'want' but honestly, take it from me, it's better if you just admit defeat. When I first came to this site I had this 'holier then thou' attitude with some flowery language and I got called out on it. Since I started being cordial to people and knowing I'm not all that and a bag of chips, I've been better received.

Seriously, stop. The people here are generally good people, and how you're acting is just silly by anyones standards, just stop. Stop riding your high horse into the ground and just admit you fucked up. Honestly, everyone makes mistakes, and even though you've pretty much made the biggest ass out of yourself you can't get much lower, the only way to go is up, if you so chose to. Unfortunately I can't force you to earn a tiny bit of respect by humbling yourself and changing your attitude on a constant basis.
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 PM   #107
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Kontan for president!

Will we get a Bacon Day?

On a more serious note; Lady Christine speaks the truth, you should probably listen to her.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #108
Solumina

Lady C: if you really want him to stop then don't respond in such a reactive manner. You can easily point out flaws without shoving him into the proverbial corner which only causes him to become defensive, that or if he is trying to provoke a response then you are simply giving him positive reinforcement.

*edit* I am totally on board for Bacon Day!
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #109
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Also, for future reference, the word however should have a comma both before and after.
Actually, however can only follow a semicolon or a period, not a comma.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #110
Solumina

Not true, at least according to any English prof I have ever had.

Example of correct usage: You are usually correct, however, I'm pretty sure my statement was correct.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #111
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Lady C: if you really want him to stop then don't respond in such a reactive manner. You can easily point out flaws without shoving him into the proverbial corner which only causes him to become defensive, that or if he is trying to provoke a response then you are simply giving him positive reinforcement.
At his age, he doesn't deserve to be told nicely, he can grow up or fuck off.

Quote:
*edit* I am totally on board for Bacon Day!
Fuck yeah!
Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #112
Duane

Isn't he 30?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #113
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Not true, at least according to any English prof I have ever had.

Ex. You are usually correct, however, I'm pretty sure my statement was correct.

The statement could have also been written with however at the very end in which case it would have been followed by a period as you stated was proper.
I don't know why I phrased that as I phrased it, but here's what I meant-- 'however' and the clause it modifies must be separated from the clause it references by a period or semicolon. For instance, "You are usually correct. I'm pretty sure my statement was correct, however" "You are usually correct; however, I'm pretty sure my statement was correct" and "You are usually correct. I'm pretty sure, however, that my statement was correct" are all right, but your example isn't.

See:

http://languagestyle.suite101.com/ar...use_of_however
Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #114
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
Isn't he 30?
I think I recall him stating somewhere that he is 25.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #115
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
I don't know why I phrased that as I phrased it, but here's what I meant-- 'however' and the clause it modifies must be separated from the clause it references by a period or semicolon. For instance, "You are usually correct. I'm pretty sure my statement was correct, however" "You are usually correct; however, I'm pretty sure my statement was correct" and "You are usually correct. I'm pretty sure, however, that my statement was correct" are all right, but your example isn't.

See:

http://languagestyle.suite101.com/ar...use_of_however
I knew my grammar and use of punctuation was abysmal but you have a habit of making me realise how far below abysmal it is. I suppose it's a good thing though; I get to improve because of it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #116
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Christine View Post
If this was serious, I'd be the first to coddle you. The fact you said this though makes me want to throw you into a wall. The people here aren't being elitist to you, you're just being an ass. I know that's what you 'want' but honestly, take it from me, it's better if you just admit defeat. When I first came to this site I had this 'holier then thou' attitude with some flowery language and I got called out on it. Since I started being cordial to people and knowing I'm not all that and a bag of chips, I've been better received.

Seriously, stop. The people here are generally good people, and how you're acting is just silly by anyones standards, just stop. Stop riding your high horse into the ground and just admit you fucked up. Honestly, everyone makes mistakes, and even though you've pretty much made the biggest ass out of yourself you can't get much lower, the only way to go is up, if you so chose to. Unfortunately I can't force you to earn a tiny bit of respect by humbling yourself and changing your attitude on a constant basis.
Ok, I'm going to be sincere here, bare with me.

When I came to this forum, I genuinely only wanted to find people that are similiar to me to socialize with. Admitedly my intro sounded pompous and conceited, but I sincerely did NOT mean to sound like that. I have always had problems with describing my intelligence without sounding like an ass(as I've already said). I really do apologize to everyone whom it has offended. I didnt feel a need to apologize before because I figured everyone might figure out that I didnt mean it that way when I said stated it in the same line, but appearently it still rubbed you all the wrong way, so I'll apologize anyway.

I exaggerate when I say that you are all idiots, because I actually think most of you are very intelligent. The only idiotic part I see is your opinion of me. Sometimes I get carried away when I find somethnig to be hilarious, and say things I probably shouldnt. I apologize for that aswell.

To Lady Christine: You have more respect from me than anyone here, if for no other reason than being able to see truth where others were blind.

To HavelockV: You strike me as a very cultured, and sophisticated gentleman, therefore I also respect you. However, you are a bit old fashioned, therefore our opinions and beliefs are inevitably going to clash.

To Gsj: I still think you're an asshole, but you are an intelligent person, and I have atleast seen you show some type of courtesy as I've been reading. So, even though I'm nearly certain it wont make a difference, I offer a truce. We got off on the wrong foot.

I still dont really care whether anyone here likes me, because I know this place cannot affect my social life. However, out of curiosity, and also respect for Lady Christine, I chose to humor you and be sincere about my feelings of the events which have transpired.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #117
Duane

Oh, for fucks sake...
Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #118
gothicusmaximus

Duane, just shut the fuck up already. Every discussion is made seventy times more infuriating by your inane, pointless interjections. The above post is the first by ArchLich that hasn't made me want to blow my brains out, but you totally negated the pleasant surprise with your abortion of an attempt to achieve popularity through bandwagon hopping. How about you leave, and from now on we'll just imagine your posts, okay? That shouldn't be to hard, just a "Duane's a rocker!", "Duane can't believe that girl didn't like Duane even though Duane's obese and fixed Duane's eyes on her tits for seven minutes", or "You suck, like me" every once in a while.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #119
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus View Post
Duane, just shut the fuck up already. Every discussion is made seventy times more infuriating by your inane, pointless interjections. The above post is the first by ArchLich that hasn't made me want to blow my brains out, but you totally negated the pleasant surprise with your abortion of an attempt to achieve popularity through bandwagon hopping. How about you leave, and from now on we'll just imagine your posts, okay? That shouldn't be to hard, just a "Duane's a rocker!", "Duane can't believe that girl didn't like Duane even though Duane's obese and fixed Duane's eyes on her tits for seven minutes", or "You suck, like me" every once in a while.
Hey, someone defended me :-/.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #120
Duane

Hm... as nice as that sounds... I don't feel like leaving. Besides, me leaving would be doing you a huge favor, you've never done any favors for me.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #121
Solumina

GM you are correct, I did form my sentence incorrectly, that is what I get for trying to type while talking to Jake. I was trying to do something along the lines of your last example but clearly it did not come out correctly, I must start paying more attention to what I type. I will, however, stand by the statement that however shouldn't start a sentence if it is being used as it is here.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #122
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Lich
Hey, someone defended me :-/.
My main qualm with you is your obscene arrogance. When you don't demonstrate this quality, as you didn't in your last post, you're just the average gnet member-- far from impressive in any way, but not altogether intolerable and easily ignored. Conversely, Duane's stupidity is so nuanced that no singular personality defect can be held accountable for his status as a particularly unsightly pustule on the already crater-ridden face of this site.

Quote:
Hm... as nice as that sounds... I don't feel like leaving. Besides, me leaving would be doing you a huge favor, you've never done any favors for me.
You'd be doing yourself a huge favor too. You could reallocate the time you spend on gnet to exercising, or practicing speaking in the first person like a functional human being.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #123
Duane

Since you put it that way... no.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #124
Beneath the Shadows

Duane, Duane, Duane... How can you tolerate being so disliked? Is other peoples' enmity your source of the jollies?

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #125
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Since you put it that way... no.
Damn, I should have known putting it that way would only arouse Duane's paralyzing fear of self-improvement and achieve the opposite of my aim.