Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #26
maggot

Exactly. xD

You know how to sew a backstitch, right?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #27
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
Um...yeah, I'm glad to be hear and hope you ladies and gentlemen allow me to keep my head attached to my shoulders while I hone my manners and, hopefully, become a better goth

- Harry
See this is what we need more of out of the newguys, people without dillusions of grandeur willing to improve themselves upon the wise advice of others. I must say welcome and on behalf of everyone I will collect the standard entry cookie fee.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #28
Godslayer Jillian

Breathless horror, I like you, but you do realize none of the bands you mentioned are anywhere near goth, right?
In the gothic subculture, music is paramount, and I don't want you to have any misconceptions of it.
Goth has nothing to do with death metal, grindcore, or simply metal. It doesn't even have to do with gothic metal.
Gothic music is more mellow, but at the same time, more fun. It does have dark themes, but it's entertaining while being introspective.

Try to look for these bands and see if you like them:
Bauhaus
Sisters of Mercy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
The Fields of the Nephilim
Clan of Xymox (that's darkwave)
Christian Death (this one's Deathrock)
Sex Gang Children

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #29
Dancing_in_rain

About Goth stores in the general Ottawa/Hull/Montréal area...
Ottawa and Hull, I don't know about, but for Montréal, here are a few:
- Diabolik
Nice clothes, pricey, good selection, really nice sales guy. On Mont-Royal. The website doesn't really show their clothes but here it is anyways.
http://www.diabolik.ca/

- Cruella
EXTREMELY expensive stuff, but most of it is handmade and it's all excellent quality. A "friend" of mine (if she allows me to call her a friend) bought platform boughts there two years ago (which I want!) and she says she still has them in great condition. Worth a look around, even if you don't get anything. Again, on Mont-Royal. Website below, though they have more stuff in the store itself.
http://www.cruella.ca/

- Folles Alliées.
It's also on Mont Royal, but a little lower down.(365 Mont-Royal Est) Some of their stuff is ridiculously overpriced but some of it is awesome. They sell costume clothing, old victorian style stuff and an assortment of other things. You have to look for the good things but since I like old Victorian clothes, I love it.

So welcome fellow Canadian.

Yawn. This is rather tedious, is it not?

www.chansondeplume.blogspot.com
^Mon blog d'ecriture en francais. Veuillez lire et commenter!
Translation: My writing blog in french. Feel free to read and comment.

Dancing_in_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:02 PM   #30
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Breathless horror, I like you, but you do realize none of the bands you mentioned are anywhere near goth, right?
Yeah, I do realize that, and yes i do know that goth has jack to do with metal. That doesn't mean I can't like it though. I knew music was a big thing for goth, but I thought the paramount virtue was individuality? I will check out those bands though, I've already heard some Sisters of Mercy and they were pretty good. The Fields of the Nephilim sounds vaguelly familliar, I'll have to check them out first, methinks...
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #31
Breathless Horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
I must say welcome and on behalf of everyone I will collect the standard entry cookie fee.
*hands Renatus a big, fresh, warm, chocolate chip cookie*
Old 04-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #32
Dancing_in_rain

No fair! I want one too! *pouts*

Old 04-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #33
Vako

Quote:
In the gothic subculture, music is paramount, and I don't want you to have any misconceptions of it.
Goth has nothing to do with death metal, grindcore, or simply metal. It doesn't even have to do with gothic metal.
Gothic music is more mellow, but at the same time, more fun. It does have dark themes, but it's entertaining while being introspective.
I strongly disagree with your statements. The Goth and Metal subcultures do have aspects in common. Especially Gothic Metal. The aspects of it are introspective, spiritually contemplative, and artistically oriented. The music can be high-energy or mellow. This notion that Goth somehow has superior merit and artistic sense to Metal is a bit narrow-minded. The whole point of the subclassification of Gothic Metal is to combine the qualities of Goth and Metal.

Your value judgments that Goth is more fun and more entertaining than Gothic Metal is a personal bias that you hold.

I personally can't stand "death metal", "grindcore", and the such. That is my personal taste or bias.

Goth and Metal do have aspects in common. To separate the two with 'Thor's Sledgehammer' is to create cultural division and exclusion.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #34
Vako

Oh, and BreathlessHorror, Welcome.

I'm also exploring the Goth culture.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:16 AM   #35
cradle

Quote:

Try to look for these bands and see if you like them:
Bauhaus
Sisters of Mercy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
The Fields of the Nephilim
Clan of Xymox (that's darkwave)
Christian Death (this one's Deathrock)
Sex Gang Children
although The cure is widely accepted as goth, on numerous counts, robert smith has stated that they aren't goth.

But anyway, you seem like the kind of person that would be into deathrock if you were to start listening to goth and the genres surrounding it.
It's really up to you though.
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord to tell everyone about that time at Ronnie's house when I smashed the beer bottle over my own head.
cradle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #36
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Horror
Glad to know I made a decent impression. As i said, I'm incredibly new to the gothic scene, and am therefore always open to suggestions. One of the main reasons i joined was to get inspiration. I'm open to try out pretty much anything that sounds like it will look and feel good.
Ooh, you can be my dolly and I'll dress you. I'm quite good, you know. I'm one of those terribly judgemental people that looks at random strangers on the street and thinks, "If he untucked his shirt and wore a thigh-length jacket, he'd look so much less fat," and "She could be SO PRETTY if she wore makeup that didn't make her look so cross-eyed." Post loads of pictures of your body type, your hair color, and the sort of thing you're comfortable in now, and I'll come up with something that will be flattering and comfortable in no time.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #37
Breathless Horror

Sounds good :P i'll post some pics as soon as i get my hands on a digital camera
Old 04-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #38
KontanKarite

Not unless I get ahold of them first.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
Breathless Horror

Oh my...am I being fought over? Well, doesn't this just make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside :P

Oh yeah, for all those who felt left out...*slaps down plate of cookies* enjoy!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #40
DarkHeartedDemoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Not unless I get ahold of them first.
You can have him, and I'll be your helper. I'm sure you're much better at male apparel.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 04-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #41
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
The whole point of the subclassification of Gothic Metal is to combine the qualities of Goth and Metal.
The 'Gothic' in Gothic Metal is an adjective describing its style. Gothic Metal can be introspective, dooming, and artistically oriented, but for it to be related to goth it would have to be an offshoot of Gothic Rock, or at least directly influenced from it. But it isn't.
The 'Gothic' adjective in Gothic Metal is derived from other sources, such as the adjective of Gothic Novel, not from the 80's subculture.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #42
Vako

Quote:
The 'Gothic' in Gothic Metal is an adjective describing its style. Gothic Metal can be introspective, dooming, and artistically oriented, but for it to be related to goth it would have to be an offshoot of Gothic Rock, or at least directly influenced from it. But it isn't.
The 'Gothic' adjective in Gothic Metal is derived from other sources, such as the adjective of Gothic Novel, not from the 80's subculture.
They are both correct. you are correct in your musicology, and I am correct in my experience. I have been there. I have lived it. There is a kind of Metal that is "Goth". You are very young, and inexperienced. Before you try to school a 34 year old man on his own subculture, think about that maybe you are a bit naive to present yourself as an authority on a subculture that you have not even lived long enough to experience. The qualities of Goth are also present in some of the people in the true Metal world.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #43
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, true, I can give that, but then these characteristics are only existent in both musical cultures. One couldn't have come up from the other, but both just have similarities because of the same nature of the music.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #44
Vako

Well as long as we might be able to agree that people from both of these subcultures can hang out together and get along, that means alot to me.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #45
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Well it's official Goth net loves you breathless horror, now just keep the cookies comming.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #46
Dancing_in_rain

Yes, those cookies? Keep up the supply...the more the merrier!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #47
Breathless Horror

Will do, and just because I love you guys so much, I'll even change it up a little now and then.

It could be a while until I can get a hold of a camera, so I'll do my best verbally:

Height : 5' 9" or 140 cm (I think the metric is right but I'm not sure)
Wieght: 178 lbs or roughly 80 kg
Body type: A little chubby, ruby cheeked S.O.B. (think almost Santa Claus), terrible posture. Almost equal amounts upper and lower body.
Hair: 3" purple mohawk

Stuff I'm comfy in: Baggy pants with as much chain as I can attach/afford, usually just a black t-shirt sometimes with a button up shirt over top. Leather jacket or trenchcoat usually tops it off, throw in some black nail polish and inch-long spike bracelets and you've got me in a nutshell

Thanks for all the replies (sp?)!!
*lays down large tray laden with chocolate cup-cakes with vanilla icing in spiderweb patterns* I <3 you guys!

Last edited by Breathless Horror; 04-17-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Bad Grammar
Old 04-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #48
DarkHeartedDemoness

"ruby cheeked" as in your face goes red for no sodding reason all the time? Because I have that problem. It sucks. Especially since you sound like a manly sort of guy, so I doubt I'll be able to convince you to wear makeup.

http://www.fantasycostume.net/fantas...uptheater.html If you're interested, Ben Nye offers a red neutralizer to "cover intense redness due to bruising, acne, birthmarks, capillaries."
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
Old 04-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #49
Breathless Horror

I wish it was random like that! My face is red CONSTANTLY, with occasional fits of purple if it's cold (which up here is like 6 or 7 months of the year :P ) or if I'm royally pissed about something. And yeah, I can't say I'm all that big into the idea of makeup, maybe a little eye liner now and agian once i can afford to get contacts and destroy my hideous glasses, but thanks for the suggestion anyways. Make sure you grab a cup-cake on your way out :P