Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #26
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
There is a great product called Bio oil. It is wonderful stuff. Smells nice as well. I used it on my stretchmarks ( which were the size of China and deeper than the Marianas trench ) and they have completely faded/turned white. If you can't get that, then get the usual stuff sold for reducing stretchmarks. Works a treat.
Thank you! I shall take a trip to my local chemist tomorrow ^_^

And I know what you mean suture. People tend to judge you straight away after seeing them, even if theyre years old -_-
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #27
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I do undestand what people are saying about self inflicted replications of battle , however I just feel cheated by life that THAT particular scar had faded, course the story was more umorous than amazing as to how i got it.

I realised from the start the eyelid thing was completely insane and it was unikely that there would be any surgeon insane enough to do it (even though there probably is) but you gotta throw your ideas out there.

It's been interesting to see people's different opinions on this topic and I was glad to see I'm not the only scar lover, oo-wee! I do love my back as well, pale and pulled tightly over big big spinal discs, and criss crossed with scars, stretch marks (which looked quite scarlike but are since fading D=) and I also think the scars maybe fading, then all Ill have is that bruise on my lower back that hasn't disappeared after 2 years....>_>
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:19 PM   #28
KontanKarite

Apparently, you look like Tom Cruise. Anyone else notice this? Ever think that the fading of that scar means that it really wasn't as important as you'd like it to be? It's gone and your face is "perfect". To put the scar back means that you WILL have a big ass scar all across your face.

The scars that's faded from view on my body, I consider myself lucky for. But that's just me.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #29
Sir Canvas Corpsey

You realise after that comment i'm going to have to go and drown myself in some sort of liquid...I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise....>_>

A perfect face, hmmm, Heh as silly as it sonds, I found that quite profound and it's kind of redesigning the image of myself with the scar in my head, although i must admit the scarification video someone posted area got me all excited.

Kontan you realise how chaismatic and persuasive you can be so easily, why I think I'll just have to marry you, right here, right now...

Still part of me really does want to have at lats somthing scarified onto me or whoknows, maybe I'll just get lucky when i'm walking down the street and through some series of unexpected events, my body gets all slashed up by a bunch of flying swords....
Sir Canvas Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #30
Mon Coeur Noir

I'm not thinkin' you look too much like Tom Cruse. ANYHOW. Do whatever makes you happy.

All of this scar talk makes me think of something stupid my ex used to say all the damned time.

Rule # 1: Chicks dig scars.
Rule # 2: See Rule # 1.
Mon Coeur Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #31
kimaru

I fell down a hill once and got cut up pretty good. Now my leg has scars on it and I think it looks good...also my cat scratches my arm all the time so I've gotten some scars and people always ask if they're from cutting myself...-_-
My scars are all from stupid things too like the one on my forehead when I got hit with a golf club....I do have some from surguries and some from cutting though...
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #32
honeythorn

I have some scars on my left arm from where the rabbit has used me as a launch pad .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #33
grauenacht

I must admit... for me, scars are an emotional or sexual turn on depending on context. Such as, if I see a girl my age with scars on her arms or any other typical self-mutilation spot, I get this immediate "oh, you poor confused girl, how could you do such a thing to your pretty little arm?!" thought process. This leads in turn, to more romantic pursuits with said girl.
I've tried to shake it throughout the years, but this broken-hearted-attraction to self-mutilation (which has been reinforced over time) has become perversed into something that has been a catalyst for arousal. I won't get into that though.
Scarification as a form of body modification is alright by me, and I see it along the lines of tattoos and piercings. However, self-inflicted scars that are meant to look as if one has survived some sort of conflict or encounter tend to rub me the wrong way. But to each his own.
grauenacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:57 AM   #34
Valerius

I still think scarification is abhorrent. But do whatever makes you happy.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #35
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I have some scars on my left arm from where the rabbit has used me as a launch pad .
I used to have some fo those.. mostly from my *evil* Netherland Dwarf.
My lop wouldn't bother with kicking; he would just bite a chunk out of my neck.

*debates whether or not to post pics of my scars*
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #36
Delkaetre

I've got almost no scars, except for one on my thigh where I accidentally punctured the flesh with a steel tipped mechanical pencil whilst trying to draw in an elderly Volkswagen golf that had no suspension. Not my wisest moment.
Also my BCG/mandatory ID chip/ that immuno-jab that went really icky after I got it (choose favourite description) and my single, sole chicken pox scar.

Boyfriend has two that I left him, accidentally. One on his wrist, where I bit him when we were tussling, and one on his back where I scratched him when we were tussling in a rather different way.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 AM   #37
korinna5555

I have a little scar on my right little finger where Justin accidentally stabbed me with a knife.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #38
kimaru

I have about 20 scars, but most of them are only a centimeter or two long...that sounds like alot...-_-
kimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #39
ApothoKeri

I don't really care for scars, I prefer a more pristine, immaculate look. But that is just personal preference. I don't mind them per say, they have a unique quality and show tales of ones overall individual experience, so I don't think they are anything that should be hidden.

Keep in mind that anything on your face will change with time...and wrinkles eventually. So you may not be able to control it's evolution. With some things natural distortion can be interesting, with others it may look very stupid if it evolves in a way which you don't want it to. Your skin starts changing a lot before it even wrinkles and this begins in your mid-20's as your body growing and stops making the abundance of collagen and elastin.

Also do your research, if you develop keloids (which any scar CAN, especially the larger ones) then you may not only have a severely messed up face for life but difficulty with your eyes, nose, even mouth and ears forever.
ApothoKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #40
ForgetThisLostLenore

I agree ApothoKeri. I rather dislike the few scars I have. I have a slightly bad one from a fall when I was a kid. It covers my entire knee. I just think scars ruin the beautiful white awesomeness that is my skin
ForgetThisLostLenore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #41
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrosexual
I have a few self inflicted ones from about 2 years ago (it was purely out of curiosity though -_-)

I dont really go out of the way to hide them, because why should I? They're a part of me now, weather I like that or not.

Does anyone have any advice on fading them though?
Are they raised scars?
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #42
Wormboy

Many things to say on this one.

First of all, that scarification, scary shit, but I'd be more impressed if you did it yourself.

The scar over the eyelid thing IS possible WITHOUT blinding yourself. What you have to do is painful as shit though. You have to make the incision, let it heal slightly, and cut it open again, and repeat over and over and over, eventually it will leave a permanent (sort of) scar. I learned this from picking at all the injuries I've recieved. Scars do look cool, but only the ones that have good stories. Sometimes they make people look tragic. This one girl in my Sociology class last summer, absolutely gorgeous girl, and she had a good two inch long scar on her cheek, and it made her seem even prettier simply because of the tragic beauty of it all.

As for me, I have countless scars. Both eyebrows (a door and a glass table respectively) Countless on my arms, ( a few self inflicted, turns out cutting doesn't work if you're a masochist with a bloodfetish ^_^)
A bunch on my triceps and back from some particularly rough sex. The best one is the one you can't see. I have a scar going from the temple in front of my right ear up my head and around down behind my right ear. I got that when I broke my skull in a skateboarding accident and they had to cut open the skin and drain the blood because I was experiencing subdural hemotoma (sp). They then screwed a titanium plate on the broken skull and stapled (you think I'm kidding but I'm not) the skin back. Then just last summer I shaved my head (heaven knows why) and everyone got a lovely view of it.

Kontan - "Eventually, you ended up looking like the freaking grim reaper towards the end of the game.
Now we got this cracked out jungle hobo...."
Wormboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #43
StasisInDarkness

Ugh...for some time I used my left forearm and inner thighs as a cutting board, and as such, I have a number of scars in different states of recovery. Some are still pinkish, others pure white and raised.

The healing process intrigues me.

I'm going to try to sound as non-cliched and lame as possible in saying this, so I suppose the best way to do so is to be completely honest.

I think scars are beautiful, whether self-inflicted or otherwise. They are external marks that reflect your history, your state of mind and being at a particular moment in time.

They're all we have left when our memories fail us, which they inevitably will.

Tattoos are just ink embedded in scar tissue. I like to think of my scars as self-made tattoos, with just as much a meaning to who I was as a person when I felt compelled to hurt myself in such a way.

They reflect the past, but that is invariably sill a part of who I am, and to deny that, to feel ashamed of my past, is a denial of my present.
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #44
thedoll

my scars remind me that the past is real

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #45
killer_asian_Dax

Scars: I find some scars to be fascinating and aesthetically pleasing. They usually have a story behind them which gives you more insight into the person who owns the scar and in a way, binds you closer to them. I think it's proof of our life experiences and should not be look down upon as much as they are.

Scarification: While I personally could never bring myself to purposefully go in and have someone cut me in rad designs, I do respect a person's desire to have them. Some of them look way cool while others, (while the owner may like them) I think are just stupid looking. But that's their choice. My navy guy wants a scar very similar to the one the starter of this thread wants. He's so handsome without it, and if it wasn't for the fact that he's in the navy, I'm quite sure would already have it. I personally think it's stupid for him, but it's what he wants and so I respect that. I don't think he's stupid for wanting it done- I think it would look stupid on him.
Either way-I'll like him no matter what he does to himself. I think time has proven that already.

If a person wants to be scarred, then they have the right to do it without judgement from others. Granted, this goes against our human nature, but just as we have our reasons for disliking it, so do they have their reasons for wanting it. And to hell with anyone who thinks they can just pass judgement on something like that. We don't like being scrutinized ourselves, so why do it to someone else just because it's something we don't fancy ourselves? We can't all get along. That's why there's variety in the world. Instead, of just saying it's stupid, try to understand if there's a deeper reason besides it "looking cool." Saying you want something because it "looks cool" is just easier to spit out than a dissertation on exactly why you like/want it.

(And at this point, I realise that I may have wandered off track a bit, but the points are in there.)

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #46
Gothic Piano

i actrualy have a scarright above my left eye. I used to think it was so ugly. I think it kind of looks cool now, not sure why. I also have a sad story behind it, too.

But the scar thing, I'm not too sure about. It'd probably be kind of neat, but like the rest have said, the position isn't real clear. To each is own.
Gothic Piano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #47
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StasisInDarkness
Tattoos are just ink embedded in scar tissue.
I was going to say something to the same effect, but you beat me to it.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #48
Splintered

I saw someone do this..

http://my.opera.com/Cois/blog/show.dml/1102626

Now, I don't particularly care for scars. (I have this thing where if I see wounds, I want to try and fix them.) But that is actually pretty good.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:37 AM   #49
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikDemonik
Are they raised scars?
I'm not sure TBH. They're like paler than my skin tone and I can just about feel them when i run my fingers over them ;p

It's only really during the summer that they bother me much. I tan easily but they remain pale as fuck :|
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:06 PM   #50
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
I saw someone do this..

http://my.opera.com/Cois/blog/show.dml/1102626

Now, I don't particularly care for scars. (I have this thing where if I see wounds, I want to try and fix them.) But that is actually pretty good.
That just seems like and infection waiting to happen.

I think ornamental scarification can be amazingly beautiful (not to mention bad ass) but I prefer traditional tribal styles (the ones where everything is done in dots or small dashes) over things that look like someone was branded (if you want to look branded then just get branded) and honestly I think it is a bit silly to recreate a past scar but hey if it makes you happy go for it.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote