Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #3726
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That's just a downright lie. The method is catching them, cutting off their fins, and throwing them back into the ocean. They eventually drown. Where are you even getting your information?
From my uncles who caught the sharks that I, personally, ate. They never had fins cut off until we skinned them to eat. We ate the whole shark growing up, not the fins.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #3727
vindicatedxjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausamkeit View Post
They do not suffer. Sharks are killed as soon as they are caught. Do you get mad at lions, bears or alligators for eating meat, too?
Of course I don't. Lions, bears, and alligators are CARNIVORES. It's all they know to keep themselves alive. Humans have the capability to decide what is moral and ethical. And YES the sharks DO suffer. They have a nervous system you know.

Bring Kontan Back
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #3728
Alan

Quote:
From my uncles who caught the sharks that I, personally, ate. They never had fins cut off until we skinned them to eat. We ate the whole shark growing up, not the fins.
That's an anecdotal fallacy. It's like if someone had defended slavery by saying their parents took very good care of their slaves.
The shark business is almost as lucrative as the international drug trade business. You can't just say "well my uncles were humane, thus all shark hunting is humane"
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #3729
Grausamkeit

Quote:
And who has sent letter bombs?
It was a differnt branch of ALF, ARM, they claimed responsibility for a letter bomb to Margaret Thatcher.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #3730
Grausamkeit

Quote:
That's an anecdotal fallacy. It's like if someone had defended slavery by saying their parents took very good care of their slaves.
The shark business is almost as lucrative as the international drug trade business. You can't just say "well my uncles were humane, thus all shark hunting is humane"
You are assuming that is what I said when it wasn't.

I only talked about the sharks that we caught. I said nothing about hunting sharks for their fins being humane. Quit twisting things to suit you.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #3731
Grausamkeit

If you bothered to read instead of just randomly jumping to conclusions you would see that I was agreeing with Honeythorn.

Originally Posted by honeythorn
Sharks are also hunted, and only the dorsal fin used ( I don't recall which culture does this, it may be the Japanese but I'm not certain ) . The rest gets chucked back into the sea which is pure insanity, as a shark is a powerful fish with a hell of a lot of muscle which is effectively solid meat and I would guess, not too unlike Tuna or Swordfish in texture and presumably taste ( as they are also large predatory fish with big solid bodies full of muscle )

There is no logical reason not to eat the rest of it, you could feed a few families for a week on what you could get off a decent sized shark.

Sharks are some good eatin'! We ate a fair few growing up when my uncles used to do offshore fishing(black tip sharks and stingray, stingray is gross). Shark tastes kind of like chicken.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #3732
Alan

I didn't twist your words. You just started from the last page already with an anecdotal fallacy by responding to Honeythorn's statement with just one personal anecdote.

Also, you know it's also as fallacious to blame the ALF for the actions of the ARM? How can you blame a group by the actions of a group that splintered off precisely because the former refused to do actions you condemn them for?
Should we condemn the Egyptian revolts because of the Muslim Brotherhood too?
real classy
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #3733
Grausamkeit

Quote:
I didn't twist your words. You just started from the last page already with an anecdotal fallacy by responding to Honeythorn's statement with just one personal anecdote.

Also, you know it's also as fallacious to blame the ALF for the actions of the ARM? How can you blame a group by the actions of a group that splintered off precisely because the former refused to do actions you condemn them for?
Should we condemn the Egyptian revolts because of the Muslim Brotherhood too?
You mean the same way that Peta claims not to support terrorism, yet lots of their money each year goes directly to those same groups they 'officially' don't associate with? Yeah, I don't buy that shit.

I believe anyone can look up their records because they are tax exempt and subject to public scrutiny. And how much money do they actually spend doing something for animals?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #3734
Alan

... except that the ALF is a decentralized group and therefore does not funnel any funds nor issues top-down orders?
real classy
Old 06-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #3735
Catch

I enjoy posting every thought that comes into my mind.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #3736
Grausamkeit

That's what we like about you.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 AM   #3737
Ben Lahnger

Um, that's largely why I ignore you, Catch. Because the thoughts of even the most gifted, creative humans aren't always interesting. They know that, which is why they don't write down everything they think. And for what they do write down, they have editors.

Announcing that you like to spew every thought in your head unchecked and unfiltered here in text is as significant as announcing that you are proud of every breath you take.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #3738
Grausamkeit

Ben, word salad is good for the soul. Reading it is like that burp after taking a long swig of cola. Sometimes you need it to give you time deflate and reflect.

Or something like that...

Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #3739
MissCheyenne

I'm certain UK clothes sizes are getting smaller.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #3740
Stormtrooper of Death

Doom is a damn fine crust band. Wish I could have seen them this summer.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #3741
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCheyenne View Post
I'm certain UK clothes sizes are getting smaller.
No but they do differ from store to store, depending on where that store has the clothes made. China or India usually. I can't get into most of H&M's trousers for example. With the exception of jogging bottoms, which I only use for the gym. And I rarely shop at Primark ( cheap black stuff and work clothes!! ) as they are even worse. Underwear espescially.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #3742
MissCheyenne

I know what you mean HT. It's bad enough going from store to store and needing a different size in each of them but I bought two dresses today from the same store and had to buy them in two different sizes.

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #3743
Catch

I walk everyday. It's working out well.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #3744
Fruitbat

Quote:
Safe journey, Versus!

Peta is Bullshit!

Peta kills.

I see nothing wrong with animal testing to save human lives. We had a member back in the day who worked closely with doctors doing research with animals on childhood diseases. I am more supportive of the Human Genome Project(but even with that we have to first test animals to make sure human lives are not put at risk), but I refuse to condemn things that help people. I see nothing wrong with using animals for food. There could be better ethical standards put in place by some organizations, but I don't believe the shock vids that Peta puts out.

Fuck terrorist organisations like Alf/Elf! Fuck Peta and fuck people who suggest violence or terrorist acts against innocent people just because you don't believe what they believe.

I eat animals. I agree with using them to further medical science. I do not believe in abusing animals. I do not believe in minimizing human suffering by comparing things like the holocaust and concentration camps to what animals feel. I do not believe in committing vandalism or terrorism in some self-righteous bullshit about 'animal rights' so that I can feel superior to others.

I do not wear fur because I do not eat the animals the fur comes from. I eat cows, though, and feel no qualms about wearing leather.
Yeah. I remember someone - I think it was Pink - who came to Australia and was all against Muesling (spel?). They followed the PETA line that it is outrageous and should be stopped immediately, then they were taken to a farm and shown fly-blown sheep and they did the quickest backflip on record.

Seriously, how can you be for animal rights, and yet not support something that stops animals from being eaten while alive from maggots?

Farmers don't like doing it, and are trying to breed animals that don't require it, but like everything it takes generations.

I'm all for animal rights, but as soon as they start getting dumbass on the muesling, I just want to tell them to shut the fuck up.

Sorry when I saw ALF I thought of the 1980's sitcom and wondered what orange fuzzy aliens were doing for animal rights.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #3745
MissCheyenne

I'm going to a festival held in a deer park next month, would it be morally wrong to offer the deer some sambuca?

I am your slice of pie
Old 06-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #3746
Saya

I just got back from the fair, I won a few stuffed animals including a totally adorable dragon, and the rides were super fun but I got sick. Managed to not vomit but I was retching after the last one >.< Apparently I'm old now and need to remember to take my gravol before going on the Tilt A World.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #3747
Grausamkeit

*Hands Saya her shawl

Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #3748
Fruitbat

Saya We can have zimmerframe races, you old thing you XD

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #3749
Solumina

In case you all hadn't noticed I've been rather absent from the boards. There are two reasons for this. A) Jake and I are in the process of moving, we signed the lease on Saturday and have to be out of our old place a week from Friday (so thankfully not the most hectic or rushed of moves but still time consuming) and B) I have actually been rather busy at work doing, well, work, to the point where I'm constantly running around and still needing a bit of overtime to get everything done, which is not exactly normal but hey it is what it is and I do still love my job, even when it is crazy.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #3750
Saya

I noticed! Glad its not us XD

Also, I'm 24 today!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote