Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Anarasha

Guitar string question

Hello.
Well my e1 string just broke after a small amount of time because it was low quality.
For some reason, I hadn't bought new strings yet, dumb as I am. So now I ordered 2 sets of strings.
Until they get here though, I cannot play a lot of stuff on it, but I have this set of low quality strings(all except the e1 unfortunately) and I was wondering something.
I am really annoyed that I cannot play, so is it possible to use any of the other strings in a pinch until my new strings get here, or would that damage the guitar or anything?
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Mir

e1? wtf? low E or high E?
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Anarasha

It is the first string. As far as I have read, the strings are usually marked as follows:
e1
B2
G3
D4
A5
E6
So it is the thinnest string on the guitar. (Then it would be high E, right? I am not that far in my actual guitar tech knowledge.)
Old 01-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
Mir

You can play anything you want. Just re-tune b to e, g to to b and so onn.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Anarasha

My question is if I can put a B string in the high E string slot without damaging the guitar?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #6
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
My question is if I can put a B string in the high E string slot without damaging the guitar?
Yes, but the string will snap. Rule number one, NEVER buy cheap strings, they end up breaking quick. Try Ernie Ball, I've never had an issue with them, and they're relatively inexpensive.

You can still play most songs without high E. Anything from modern rock (punk and metal) uses mostly the lowest four strings, so you should be fine. Unless you down-tune a lot, you may want to look into Superslinkys by Ernie Ball, they stretch very easily because of how thin they are so they're less prone to snapping. On the bottom side, they're very thin and very stretchy, so if you do a lot of rapid strums (like in metal) you'll have some trouble.)
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #7
Mir

no. it should be fine. they won't snap unless you're a total moron.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Yes, but the string will snap. Rule number one, NEVER buy cheap strings, they end up breaking quick. Try Ernie Ball, I've never had an issue with them, and they're relatively inexpensive.

You can still play most songs without high E. Anything from modern rock (punk and metal) uses mostly the lowest four strings, so you should be fine. Unless you down-tune a lot, you may want to look into Superslinkys by Ernie Ball, they stretch very easily because of how thin they are so they're less prone to snapping. On the bottom side, they're very thin and very stretchy, so if you do a lot of rapid strums (like in metal) you'll have some trouble.)
I never would buy cheap strings, but these came with my first guitar as extras :P (some 100 euro guitar, travel amp, picks, bag and extra string set, not worth mentioning)
I am playing Stairway to Heaven(poorly I might add :P) at the moment, so my high E is very much needed I am afraid =) And all in all, the tension is messed up, so my guitar sounds sick right now.
And I am gonna be a metal guitarist one day I hope, so those strings might not be the strings for me then
I will attempt to apply my B string and see if it snaps.
Thanks for all the constructive answers guys =)
Old 01-10-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Anarasha

Update:
I just did it.
You were both partly right.
It can be done, yes. But it isn't quite as it is supposed to be at the head, so it is gonna snap soon. I'll give it a week, but heck, then my new strings are here, and I am gonna change them all anyway.
Thanks again, I have been so very frustrated that I couldn't play =)
Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
PortraitOfSanity

lrn2buyDeanMarkleys

Problem solved.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
Update:
I just did it.
You were both partly right.
It can be done, yes. But it isn't quite as it is supposed to be at the head, so it is gonna snap soon. I'll give it a week, but heck, then my new strings are here, and I am gonna change them all anyway.
Thanks again, I have been so very frustrated that I couldn't play =)
Surely there's somewhere nearby you can buy guitar strings from?

And if you like metal, I'd say either go for Dean Martins because they seem to handle down-tuning pretty well, or go with Ernie Ball and just up the gauge a bit and buy 10s or 11s.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
PortraitOfSanity

Dean Martin? You mean Dean Markley?

And Ernie Balls suck.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #13
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Convenient thing about living in Southern California: I have a guitar store 3 blocks away, and the Fender Guitar Museum 3 miles away, with the Fender manufacturing warehouse 6 miles away. I can always walk in somewhere and buy guitar strings. So normally I don't have to substitute, but I have had to once and it worked fine except for trying to play Yes riffs and of course harmonics sounded low but eh, how many songs have harmonics? It isn't like I can play Cavity First Communion as well as the original.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #14
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
Dean Martin? You mean Dean Markley?

And Ernie Balls suck.
Nope, I actually meant Martin - they do mostly acoustic strings but if you get the light (10-gauge) set then they sound brilliant on electric with downtuning.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #15
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire View Post
Nope, I actually meant Martin - they do mostly acoustic strings but if you get the light (10-gauge) set then they sound brilliant on electric with downtuning.
I think Dean Markley and Martin are separate. At any rate, I've used Martins on my acoustic and the damn things snapped inside two months.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
Anarasha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire View Post
Surely there's somewhere nearby you can buy guitar strings from?

And if you like metal, I'd say either go for Dean Martins because they seem to handle down-tuning pretty well, or go with Ernie Ball and just up the gauge a bit and buy 10s or 11s.
Actually, no. The closest place is over an hour away, and I don't have a liscense nor a car. So taking public transportation to buy a set would cost more than buying 5 sets online.
And now that I have a rather temporary solution(it doesn't look like it's gonna snap after all, but it doesn't feel quite right), I guess I can wait a day or two :P
Now, if we say that I like to play something all around with a focus on rock but some clean music here and there, what would you suggest I get?
Now I already ordered two sets of "Daddario EXL110 10-46"(that's what the wrapping says, I have no idea :P) but in the near future, I plan to order a stockpile of strings so I will never have to face this problem again.