Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Love and faith I guess.

How could I bring myself to say I love another? it's a terrifying thing.
Love IS a frightening thing.
It's not that two people are committing to each other.
It's way before that:
It's one person committing to seek the one they love
to whatever end.

Rejection is painful but it isn't scary
No.
What scares us most, is investing on trust alone.
That's what we call faith.
Some people can rely on it.
Others are Atheists for a reason.

But the truth is, you can't discard belief so easily
We all live on a continuum of faith.
Every date we make, or tomorrow we anticipate
is us placing trust in something yet unproven.
Life can hurt, and we don't always get to our tomorrow
but we always end up somewhere.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Underwater Ophelia

I would shave it down a lot; it's too chatty for me.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Ja, I see where you're coming from. It was more or less an extensive statement I wanted to make on Facebook about recent events in my life and musings on them that I 'prettied up' by dressing it in poetry's clothing without doing much else.

It would require some serious editing to really pass as poetry in my eyes.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
KontanKarite

I like the subject matter. The thoughts of what love actually is, faith and trust in others... Though I'm not sure atheist is the best word to use for those that can't.

I think it's a good start and I'd like to see it polished up a bit. Maybe mention how people may be more attracted to the dangers and uncertainties of love other than the security that loyalty can bring.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
CuckooTuli

I have to disagree, actually... I really dislike the subject matter. It's just very... obvious. I don't know how much exploration it really warrants, but that's a different argument really, and this didn't do it for me. I know there's the "everything has been done to death" argument to be had about my saying that, but I found the subject matter too familiar, and agree with Underwater Ophelia's comment about it being too chatty. I thought it was very overly wordy in a way that bogged it down.

For what it's worth though, I've nosed around in this section a bit, and I do like some of your other poems.
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuckooTuli View Post
I have to disagree, actually... I really dislike the subject matter. It's just very... obvious. I don't know how much exploration it really warrants, but that's a different argument really, and this didn't do it for me. I know there's the "everything has been done to death" argument to be had about my saying that, but I found the subject matter too familiar, and agree with Underwater Ophelia's comment about it being too chatty. I thought it was very overly wordy in a way that bogged it down.

For what it's worth though, I've nosed around in this section a bit, and I do like some of your other poems.
Actually, I think I agree with pretty much every word of this. Also agree with Kontan's comment about your specific use of the word atheist, although I think you could get around that pretty easily with a little re-wording.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I appreciate it ~ not as a poem, but as your expression about the fear of letting your guard down to love someone. I'm reminded of some advice I was given once by a selfish, opportunistic wretch: "be sure to marry someone who loves you more than you love her (essentially, so that you can use your dominant, indifferent position to abuse the f*ck out of her). Of course, though quite logical, that advice is absolute bullshit. I may be misunderstanding your meaning here, but your words regardless struck a cord with me.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote