Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this 'ban'?
It's understandable 16 8.56%
It's B.S.! (that's what I have to say about it anyway..) 140 74.87%
Don't really care.. 31 16.58%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #276
Tismine

At a small clothing store down the street. It primarily sells used christian clothing, but I found them there in all their shining glory.
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:48 AM   #277
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Yeah. The gang activity in my town seems to be on the uprise. Looking down right scary seems to keep strangers from talking to me when I'm walking out at night.
From the way you said that I thought there were random, roving gangs of goths on the uprise.

I'm wondering when we will see our first goth gangs. Hey, if GASH found a way into existence, then a goth gang isn't too much of a stretch.

(GASH = Gay Aryan Skin-Heads - large gay skinheads who go around beating the crap out of rednecks and the like who mess with gay men)

* East Coast Gawthz in the hizzle! Word bio-tch!

Gives a whole new meaning to original G...
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #278
Vyvian Blackthorne

Goth gangs! Our subculture has a goth gang already. Sex Gang Children

Goth Forever
Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 AM   #279
CptSternn

This is sort of OT, but thought it was kinda funny and did go with the theme of the thread...

Christian fraternity sues University of Florida

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...d94e13&rss=794

A Christian fraternity alleging discrimination is taking the University of Florida to court.

Beta Upsilon Chi's lawsuit says the university refuses to recognize it as a registered student group.

According to the lawsuit filed in federal court in Gainesville, school officials told the group it can't be registered because only Christian men are eligible for membership.

The organization that governs the university's Greek system prohibits religious discrimination.

So it's not really a gothic group being discriminated against, its a Christian group. Funny thing is though, they are suing the school for discrimination. So the bottom line is they are a group that discriminates, and because they do, they are not allow to function on campus, so they are suing for discrimination.

Thats right, a group that wants the right to discriminate is suing the school for discriminating against them for not allowing them to discriminate.

Only in America.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #280
raggedyanne

Only in america. Where you can go over to the local church and get free pizza during school hours but can't wear fishnets to a rally.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #281
KontanKarite

I actually like Humane's way of doing things. He'll play goth rock while people are around without saying it's goth and they never bat an eye. It's hillarious, really.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #282
raggedyanne

That is funny. I was listening to some of the old stuff during detention and the teacher told me to turn down the techno. Crazy old bat. It's a wonder she hasn't turn to dust yet.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:46 PM   #283
Tismine

I AM SO PISSED OFF!

I got the student handbook today, and they apparently decided to change the rules.
Now:
No makeup on boys. Ever.
Shoes must have less then two inch heel.
Shoes may not come up past ankle. NO BOOTS.
Makeup must be conservative.
Males may not have piercings.

What. The. Fuck.
Screw this, I'm showing up in my patent leather platform boots!
Tismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #284
LiUsAiDh

My school has uniform .

On casuals day they have a load or rules though, which means it isnt really casuals day *_*, no ripped jeans (Eh), no midriff showing (understandably if its like a foot showing but 1cm - no, so I have to wear my baggy t-shirts ), no heels above 2inches (I tend to ignore this), no makeup, no dangly earings, no transparent tights (wth), and reasonable non-suggestive clothing with no low necklines.

The rules were stricter but basically everyone protested 'cause pretty much all we could wear were jeans and a baggy t-shirt.

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #285
Underwater Ophelia

I think most of you are bitching about nothing. I mean, my school never really had too strict of a dress code, so I was lucky, but there is no reason for most of you to bitch.

So they don't want you wearing shoes with heels over two inches, it's not a big deal. It has nothing to do with gothic discrimination, that's a safety issue. Even the piercings and makeup thing, so what? It's still not really discriminating against goths, they just know that people get carried away with both of those things, so they want to avoid that altogether.

Anyway, my point is, if you find you can't dress goth in a reasonable school dress code (which you all have, believe it or not) the problem isn't the school, it's you. You can easily dress goth in any environment. The trick is to dress with taste.

How about a pretty lace skirt, dark stockings, cute gothy shoes (Oh, I don't know, velvet china flats.), and a form fitting, but tasteful black top? None of these things are hard to find, and that outfit would be plenty goth for school.

It's not a fashion show, it's a place to learn.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #286
goth18

this is total busllshit!!!!!! i'm still trying to deal with the beastards at my school to allow this sort of stuff, i'm only half way though. if i can do anything, let me know, and i'll do it.
goth18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #287
goth18

bastards.*
goth18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #288
TheBloodEternity

My school used to be lenient enough on the way that I dressed, but then they told me I couldn't wear my fishnets because "no arm warmers". I told the principle that it wasn't arm warmers, it was a whole shirt and he stared blankly for a while and said "still, no arm warmers". Really, I don't care that I'm not allowed to wear them (the new no boots rule kinda pisses me off though) but that he gave such a bullshit excuse instead of just telling me "I don't want you wearing your fishnet shirt anymore".

Other than that I really don't care, it is, after all, just school.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #289
peacebear5028

My school respects the students modes of self expression with a great amount of dignity, which I am SO grateful for.
My debate teacher actually has tattoos on his arms, as well as an industrial and tongue piercing.
Its rather amusing. Because whenever we go to tournaments people never think hes our coach.
It doesnt help when he dances around either.
But anyways, my school hardly enforces the dresscode at all, and all of administration seem to base there opinions of a student on there actions and work, rather than physical appearances. Which is so refreshing.
For me the way I dress is just a way for me to feel comfortable in my own skin.
peacebear5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:30 AM   #290
Mealla

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacebear5028
My debate teacher actually has tattoos on his arms, as well as an industrial and tongue piercing.
I would LOVE to know where your school is! If a school allowed one or two tasteful piercings, I might consider teaching. There are some other reasons I'm not terribly fond of the idea of teaching, however, so perhaps not.

As far as schools go, I went to Catholic school until I was 11 (because the public school system is notorious for sucking in Louisiana), then my family moved to Georgia with my dad's job and I went to public school from there on out. Kids will pick on kids for any reason. They even picked on me in Catholic school when we had uniforms. It was worse, however, when I switched to public school, even during the stint when my parents got me the "popular" clothes to wear.

The school officially didn't allow piercings or unnatural colored hair, but I remember seeing a few people with both, so I don't think it was enforced terribly often. They had no problem with black clothing or pagan jewelry, and it's been awhile, but I think even chains and stuff like that were allowed. The only case I heard was one guy who got in-school suspension for something he didn't do, and as part of that he was required to not wear black.

In my case, I got far more "discrimination" and harassment from the other students, both when I dressed goth and when I didn't. Ironically enough, they harassed me less after I started wearing goth style clothing. Still got it some, but I finally got the balls to cuss one guy out when he made a smartass comment about the shirt I was wearing and I never heard any shit from anybody again.

But they were probably in shock from hearing me cuss, because I had the reputation of being a goody-goody. Except the time this girl didn't like the fact her boyfriend took a liking to me and started trying to spread rumors that I'd slept with him and that I was a slut. Which was hilarious because no one knew who I was, so the rumor didn't get very far, and the one person who heard it who knew me thought it was a different guy that I'd supposedly slept with. So...not being popular in school has its advantages.
Mealla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 AM   #291
MissJane

My first 9 years I went to a Catholic school and wore a uniform, so instead of making fun of my clothes the kids made fun of everything else. (Wait, no, there was a time when they screwed with me because my uniform skirt was "too long", seriously!)
When I did go to public school the students hassled me but I was rarely called out by the teachers. (I started college early and my first year was the Columbine thing; I remember reading about the Trenchcoat Mafia and thinking how glad I was not to be in high school as I knew they'd be creating more restrictions.)

This whole topic reminds me of something funny from 9th grade:
This kid in my science class, who was always trying to copy my papers, says this right after the teacher, who happens to also be this guy's football coach, is saying something totally unrelated and asks if there are any questions.

This winner says:
"Yo, Coach, why it 'dat them people who's dress really wierd an' listen to crazy music always so smart?"

The teacher just acted like he didn't know what this kid was talking about. It was all I could do not to die laughing.
True story!
MissJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #292
MissJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJane
...my first year was the Columbine thing; I remember reading about the Trenchcoat Mafia and thinking how glad I was not to be in high school as I knew they'd be creating more restrictions...
It was later than that. Saw a documentry last night about the stupid thing.
(I realize that I'm not saying anything interesting in this post, only correcting myself, but when the OCD calls, I usually answer.)
MissJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #293
Despanan

Why are so many goths constantly on the lookout, and ready to scream "discrimination" at the drop of a hat? I thought it was Christians who were supposed to be the paranoid martyrs.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #294
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despanan
Why are so many goths constantly on the lookout, and ready to scream "discrimination" at the drop of a hat? I thought it was Christians who were supposed to be the paranoid martyrs.
Most goths I know of have as much a persecution complex as the next well-off asshole.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #295
Jonathan

I think it might be a case of validating their membership in the subculture, whatever that means.

"I look different, and someone noticed. I can has goth cred."

I imagine that most people don't particularly enjoy being persecuted. They might be oversensitive and whatnot, but they don't typically go about hoping to earn their martyrdom merit badge of honor.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #296
Godslayer Jillian

The number of posts in this thread, coupled with the date this thread began, is a good example of how Gnet was before it became more politicized.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #297
ironman666

Yea schools will crack down on goth clothing that is mainly just black, but other people can dress like ganbangers and they are not looked at their is a double standard in america and the only people they come down on are the people who are different, to your face they treat people sometimes alright but behind their backs they laugh and point because they/you are different than mainstream society...
ironman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:34 PM   #298
Despanan

are you damaged in some way?
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #299
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman666
they laugh and point because they/you are different than mainstream society...
You're exactly like mainstream society.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #300
KontanKarite

Fashion and learning are not opposed to each other. They can both coexist. It's not exactly the duty of the state to dictate what one focuses on. If you can't focus on the curriculum because of a pink mohawk, it's not the fault of the eccentric looking person, it's the fault of the one who can't control their attention. Then again, who are we to force people to prioritize on what they should pay attention to?

School is a fashion show only to those that want it to be. I remember dressing in all black in school. I did just fine getting decent grades and so did my classmates.

*shrugs*

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote