Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Amunet

Writer's Block.

I hate being stuck.
nonsense swims in my head.
this topic, that one,
done, twisted and run.

Fucking bore me.
these moments abhor me .
write about love, or pain or comedy,
write how I loathe when people make fun of me,

write a novel idea,
about having a beer,
writing theology,
why not bestiality?!

writing words that make no sense,
writing to give you my two cents

a migraine. that's what I get
for trying to write when there's nothing left.

Sincerely,

disgruntled word vomiter
aka Amunet
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
JCC

I wrote a poem about writer's block once. It was shitty, but this is worse.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Amunet

of course it sucks. because i have writers block. lol
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
blindNsect

No excuses!
blindNsect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Amunet

lol. I can't help it..... its just a sucky kinda day
Old 02-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Apathy's_Child

Read as much poetry as you can and keep working at it. Read fiction, non-fiction, history, philosophy, essays, articles, look at art and song lyrics - these'll generate ideas while the poetry will help you work on your style. If you start to feel really pretentious you're probably on the right track. In all honesty it's looking pretty trite at the moment, like the poetry of someone who's decided to write it without knowing anything about it, but it's so easy to improve if you have more than three functioning brain cells. All it takes is a little work.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Tam Li Hua

I don't know about poetry, but an outline sometimes helps me with story-writing.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #8
Still Jack

You need a better vocabulary.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
Amunet

Dudes! This was no stroke of genius lol I was just blabbing my frustration. Hahahaahaha
Old 02-05-2010, 04:37 AM   #10
gothicusmaximus

"Hah! What, you guys thought I was trying to write a good poem or something? Psh, uh, NO! Haha! I just wanted to waste your time! If I were TRYING, you would have loved it."
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #11
Still Jack

God, I read this again, I really hope you have proper writers block. Then we'll be saved from further eye cancer inducing abominations.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 AM   #12
Amunet

lol. ya, and its your fault for wasting time gothicusmaximus, you're the one who read it.......

eye cancer.... thats a nice one. I wonder if I can re-title this as such?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 AM   #13
Underwater Ophelia

The moments abhor you?
In Soviet Russia...
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #14
Amunet

lol. what?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #15
Man In Room 5

So, Amunet, are you serious about writing poetry or is it just something you do occasionally for fun? I only ask because you're getting a lot of harsh criticism and also some good advice and I wonder if people are taking your poems more seriously than you intended. I think sometimes people post poems here on a whim and are judged by a standard they never really aimed for. Yet, by the same token, I wonder why anyone would post anything they didn't take seriously.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #16
Amunet

Well I'm more serious about writing new song material, so my poetry tends to be more "song like" and I think some people are expecting me to try to be more like the literary geniuses of the world, this is not my calling, and not really my interest. Usually poetry is part of my process for song writing, which is key for me because I need to come up with an entire second album and I'm having a bad case of the " no new ideas" syndrome...
I usually write what I'm feeling, and although the words seem to come out like a "cliche" I don't really know how to go out of that box. I've tried reading some other poetry like Apathy suggested, but I don't feel those poems have the um... whats the word, same flow as the songs that I'm partial to writing. When I hear a song that moves me, I listen to not only the melodies/harmonies but I listen to the lyrics because those are important to tying the song together.
I really love it when a message is clear, but not overkill on it, if you know what I mean. I just hear all this crap on the radio, the lyrics are boring and predictable but the music is catchy so its suddenly a hit. I want to write cohesive works. It's not satisfying to write nonsense that means nothing to me.

So I guess poetry isn't really my thing but it definitely helps me to put ideas together for songwriting. and yes its fun for me too, but it does have a purpose lol.
This particular poem, I definitely didn't intend it to be taken seriously. I was Rhyme-venting. (I think I just invented a concept haha)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #17
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
lol. what?
Because once again you seem to be misusing words.
That's all.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #18
Amunet

ya i thought about that after, it should have been " I abhor these moments" (to be correct but it didn't rhyme...)
but i really didn't put a whole lotta thought into this one. like stated, rhyme-venting.... good for the soul =) thanks for noticing though
Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
Man In Room 5

Quote:
I think some people are expecting me to try to be more like the literary geniuses of the world, this is not my calling, and not really my interest.
Exactly my point. We often criticize people who post occasional poems on a whim as if they're trying to be the next Poet Laureate.

Quote:
I need to come up with an entire second album and I'm having a bad case of the " no new ideas" syndrome...
From what I understand that's typical of musicians. The 2nd album is the real test of creativity because they have to produce it on the tails of their 1st album. The debut album is never a good indication of someones skill because we have no idea how long they spent on it before it was released. Novelists face the same problem. Supposedly, shitty novelists tend to make their 2nd novel more autobiographical because they've used their 1 good idea on their debut novel and have nothing in reserve so they fall back onto their own life experiences.

Actually, I'm not much of a poetry fan and I certainly don't try to write any. I know I suck badly enough that I shouldn't even bother. The two poets I read the most are Robert Graves and John Keats and that is only because other writing projects I've had have familiarized me with their life and works until I can place their poems in context with their lives. (I know neither of them are in keeping with my Gnet persona.) Check out Robert Graves sometime. There is a CD of his poems set to music by Jay Ansill and I highly recommend his book On English Poetry, or any of his nonfiction books where he discusses poetry.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
Amunet

thanks for the suggestion, I'll def check it out. and ya, you hit the nail on the head w the 2nd album, the first one is tread lightly material, the second one needs to has to absolutely be perfect and right. its friggen nerve wracking.
gah!

anywhoooo...

back to work
Old 02-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5 View Post
Yet, by the same token, I wonder why anyone would post anything they didn't take seriously.
Very much this. If you stand by something enough to put it out there to other people, then you either want to improve or just to be congratulated.

Amulet - if you're writing more for music, then the same applies - read lyrics from different kinds of musicians. Shit, start a thread on lyrics genii for people to suggest bands they consider lyrically brilliant. I can't think of anyone who ever got good at anything artistic liking only one genre; you don't have to accept everything you hear, but knowing the rules before you can break them is something people aren't inclined to do much and isses me off. (I'm not accusing you of having limited musical taste, by the way. Just saying the same ethos applies.)

I DO wonder how much poetry you could really've read in the last two days, but that's a different matter and you can't make a horse drink, I guess....... even if the water contains crazy halllucinogenic ecstasy in every drop.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote