Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
Every school in the US that I am aware of does have a lending library available to the students for personal use. Why else would there have been an issue about people wanting Harry Potter banned from public schools? It’s not like it was required reading anywhere.
Yeah but this isn't a lending library copy. This is for classroom use. I think there should be very few restrictions on library books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
And you are selecting which readings are acceptable and which aren't.
Ever read Fahrenheit 451?
No I'm not and yes I have. You obviously skipped the part where I said I have pretty much no opinion. I don't think my opinion matters, I am never going to understand what it's like to be a black person in a room full of white kids saying ******, so I don't have one. Besides which, the removal of a text from a public school is not the same as the banning of a text, though I'm completely unsurprised by the fact that you're looking at an issue in moral grayscale again.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #27
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
There are a great deal of readings of Huckleberry Finn which don't tackle racism at all. It's a very detailed and well-written book and there's still plenty in there to dissect.
I said that in the context of public school. I didn't really like Huckleberry Finn, but I can understand a few reasons why someone might want to make it required reading. Unfortunately, I think I'm too bitter to believe there is a public school in the U.S. that would deviate from the more popular reason.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
Alan

You have an opinion, JCC. You're arguing for it. And you're declaring that the artistic rendition of one's work is up to PC tampering.
And are you seriously condemning me for not seeing things in black and white morality?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #29
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You have an opinion, JCC. You're arguing for it.
Nah, I'm not. I'm saying that I understand it, but that isn't an endorsement. I see both sides and I naturally end up playing devil's advocate because it seems like most people are only seeing the evil nanny state desecrating classics. I am pretty much completely on the fence because I don't think I have enough understanding to state a case. The crux of the argument for the edit is the emotional reaction to the word and I just think I don't understand that emotional reaction enough to make a case for or against.

Quote:
And you're declaring that the artistic rendition of one's work is up to PC tampering.
I'll agree with that much. Huck Finn isn't the first text to be edited for classroom use and won't be the last and I don't have any problem with editing shit to be PC, even in the face of your scathing Fahrenheit 451 comparisons.

Quote:
And are you seriously condemning me for not seeing things in black and white morality?
The opposite.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
Alan

That's not what gray scale means, man.

And, well, you've declared you're alright with arbitrary lines of censorship, so there's nothing after that to argue.
real classy
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #31
JCC

Grayscale means black and white. I accused you of seeing things in a black and white moral fashion and was condemning it, therefore I'm doing the opposite of condemning you for not seeing things in a black and white moral fashion. The fact that you see things in moral grayscale is shown by saying that because I believe in certain censorship there's nothing to discuss. Didn't you once say you would tear down a Nazi flag if you saw it? Is that censorship? Does your support of such censorship mean that there's nothing to discuss with you?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #32
Alan

Gray scale means SHADES from black to white.
And my tearing down a Nazi flag is an open, unambiguous, and individual act of violence, full with its own liabilities. It's not a legalized moral imposition over others' own freedoms of expression.
real classy
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #33
Razeal18

personally i am against censorship of any kind. put it in a different section but never change the creation of an artist, its offensive. i would not dress your boy child in a tu-tu or give a torture scene a feather instead of a knife. peolpe picking out the "more pertinent" parts of art and changing the rest is a unforgiveable travisty. its like changing shakespear to " oh darn ronni you poisened yourself, and look theres nothing left, i guess i have to stab myself." If your going to teach art and liturature, do so like you've got a pair.

P.S. i am really drunk right now, please forgive any spelling or grammar errors.
By thy shut soul's hypocrisy;
By the perfection of thine art
Which pass'd for human thine own heart;
By thy delight in others' pain,
And by thy brotherhood of Cain,
I call upon thee! and compel
Thyself to be thy proper Hell!

-Manfred by Lord Byron
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote