Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
antreg

The Way of Death

The Way of the Samurai is found in death.
Meditation on inevitable death should be
performed daily.Every day when one's body
and mind are at peace,one should meditate
upon being ripped apart by arrows,rifles,
spears and swords,being carried away by
surging waves,being struck by lightnig,
being thrown into the midst of a great fire,
being shken to death by a great earthquake,
falling from thousand foot cliffs,dying of desease
or committing seppuku[ritual suicide]at the death
of one's master.And everyday without fail one should
consider himself[or her]as alone in the universe and allready dead.
antreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Duane

I'd like a Big Mac, fries... and a Dr. Pepper.... SUPERSIZED!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by antreg
The Way of the Samurai is found in death.
Meditation on inevitable death should be
performed daily.Every day when one's body
and mind are at peace,one should meditate
upon being ripped apart by arrows,rifles,
spears and swords,being carried away by
surging waves,being struck by lightnig,
being thrown into the midst of a great fire,
being shken to death by a great earthquake,
falling from thousand foot cliffs,dying of desease
or committing seppuku[ritual suicide]at the death
of one's master.And everyday without fail one should
consider himself[or her]as alone in the universe and allready dead.

No thanks, I rather meditate on my life than my death. When death comes, it comes. Why should I have to sit there and think about it? It's not like I'm being thrust into a war where death is almost inevitable, or being besieged by a plague.

Focus on the positives, not the negatives.

And also, why would you reference Samurais? They withered away when imperialism set in. That, and I'm pretty sure it's safe to say no one on G.net is a Samurai.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:16 AM   #4
antreg

well L'Oiseau Noir,It's not that I see myself as a samurai,nor do I think there are any on G-net.It was a way to start something for my self to do I'm bored and I don't sleep much so making obsure posts and meating people seems like a good idea.I see that it got at least some attention though.
That and I don't see what I said as a negitive.And why wouldn't I referance the samurai?I'm a Martial Artist,you would know that if you read my profile like I read yours.Then you would know why.Thank you for ellitist fiddle fabble though,It was very amusing.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:17 AM   #5
Duane

Where's My Food!!! Fuck!!! I Want To Speak To Your Manager!!!
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #6
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by antreg
well L'Oiseau Noir,It's not that I see myself as a samurai,nor do I think there are any on G-net.It was a way to start something for my self to do I'm bored and I don't sleep much so making obsure posts and meating people seems like a good idea.I see that it got at least some attention though.
That and I don't see what I said as a negitive.And why wouldn't I referance the samurai?I'm a Martial Artist,you would know that if you read my profile like I read yours.Then you would know why.Thank you for ellitist fiddle fabble though,It was very amusing.

What English class did you take?

"dis are englesh 101?"

And why would I check out your profile? I could care less if you're a martial artist, or an astronaut with two wooden arms and legs. You annoy me. Plain and simple.

I interpreted this post as negative, thus why I answered the way I did. You're the one who jumped on the offensive first, which is displayed here:

Quote:
I'm a Martial Artist,you would know that if you read my profile like I read yours.Then you would know why.Thank you for ellitist fiddle fabble though,It was very amusing.

Lastly, you're welcome for the elitist "fiddle fabble." It's all in a day's work.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
Johnny Gnar Gnar

This could wind up being fun.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Jaye Jang

Antreg. If you are quoting "Zen and the Art of Warfare" who wrote that? I forget was it Lao-tze or Sun-Tzu?
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
antreg

[quote=Jaye Jang]Antreg. If you are quoting "Zen and the Art of Warfare" who wrote that? I forget was it Lao-tze or Sun-Tzu?[/Sun Tzu the art of war]
Old 03-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #10
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Ok, it took me a moment to decipher that. I will agree with most of these folks, however. In my own experience, the biggest thing to focus on is Now. Being who you are, what you want to Be, experiencing yourself. In my opinion, death comes when a soul has experienced all they have to learn from this particular existence and set of circumstances. Souls (that is not the word I want, but it is about the best I can come up with) all set out from the beginning of their current "life" to experience themselves by circumstances, and when they learn enough from those circumstances to "advance" then, they are ready to advance.

Kind of a weird take on reincarnation. I would recommend Conversations With God for more on the matter. The title is corny, but there is some very good thoughts in there.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #11
KontanKarite

Not that I hate life and all, but if reincarnation were real, I'd fucking hate it.

The problem with the reincarnation beliefs that bug me is how they elude to the idea that we are bound to travel a set order of echelons. To climb some sort of rank if you will. Also, the crazy fucks who are convinced that they're on some level higher than you and they can't help but patronize anything you say. They respect you, but they don't respect you.

Fuck a bunch of that. I'd rather die and have some sort of eternal afterlife before reincarnation and I'd rather take oblivion than know that even in death, there is rank. There are lords and those who dictate your actions. Seriously, fuck that.

Oddly enough, why can't we all just get EXACTLY what we think we should get when we die without having to adhere to some god to do the favor or some system of lives to "learn" how to fall in line with the bigger picture? Why can't we have exactly what we want from our own designs?

Not to be pissy, Gnar Gnar, but your post was damn near exactly like something my roomie would say and she's just as bad as the evangelical fundi.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
Wednesday Friday Addams

I do kendo and we have to do all this tradition stuff. I wish the samurai still had its rights. then I would be able to kill people for not respecting me. XP
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
Tea and Cake or Death

Bonus points for using the term sepuku. Points taken away for adding definition.
Tea and Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea and Cake or Death
Bonus points for using the term sepuku. Points taken away for adding definition.
Haha.

I thought I had read this somewhere before. I didn't realize it was Sun-Tsu. I read about Buddhism every now and then, and the idea of meditating on the physical world and the potential for suffering is referenced a lot--the idea is, you die a spiritual death before your physical one, and you attain a special form of freedom, which they liken to immortality--you have no fear of pain; you have accepted it, and transcended it. These eastern ideas may have influenced the stoics, such as Seneca--of whom I'm a big fan--who argued based on the same precept that one should do philosophy by acting, not speaking or thinking, and that one should train in times of comfort by limiting the amount of comfortability one has, so that in times of scarcity, one will be accustomed to it--being happy in the midst of storms, as he put it. The reverse of the removal of fear from pain, as taught by buddhism, is the removal of desire for pleasure, pain and pleasure being opposite ends of the same emotional reaction, and this is the part most people dislike, because well, most of our society is hedonistic in nature.

I used to do martial arts as well; Shorin-Ryu, an offensive style designed for power, speed, and stability, with the goal of striking the opponent before he can strike you. Thus, it involved many bracing stances, quick, whiplike punches and kicks, which also doubled as blocks, and neutralizing your opponent through force. The other kind I tried was seibukan juijitsu, which is a completely different style and very very new, which focuses on using an opponent's aggressions against him, flowing with his movements instead of opposing them, and neutralizing him with the minimal force necessary (although, from my time there, I grew to suspect that at more advanced levels, they teach you how to use those same techniques to destroy and incapacitate as opposed to simply causing submission). This involves a lot of rolling, understanding of centers of balance, and pressure points.

Wednesday, what is kendo about? antreg, what kind of martial arts do you practice?
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Well, I'll kind of try to tackle this and explain the thought process a bit. I didn't mean to be patronizing, or evangelical, or anything else. So, that being said, do not take offense to anything I am about to write, as I try to sort it out.
I don't really think that there are echelons at all. I don't think that there are steps, or levels, or anything like that. Just the simple fact that you keep coming back experiencing different things. Different circumstances than before. And I think that the idea of anybody having more power than anybody else is ridiculous. It isn't about that, and I think people who might think the way I do would tend to agree. There are some truly great, amazing people who feel this way, but none of them think as being your betters, or think of looking down on a person for anything. They just realize that we are all in this together, and everyone's experience is their experience. Simply that.
As for going exactly where we go, that is another part of it. I don't believe in hell, nor heaven. I don't believe there is a dichotomy like that. It was an easy way for the church to control people. "If you don't do this *exhibit A* then you will go to hell, and be torn to a million itty bitty pieces." Not for me. There really only is what you choose.
You said "Why can't we have exactly what we want from our own designs?" That is precisely what I mean. You basically summed up all of my ranting in that sentence. And I'm not trying to be preachy or condescending in any way, I'm just giving my opinion on it. That is all. It isn't wrong, nor is it right. It is simply my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Not that I hate life and all, but if reincarnation were real, I'd fucking hate it.

The problem with the reincarnation beliefs that bug me is how they elude to the idea that we are bound to travel a set order of echelons. To climb some sort of rank if you will. Also, the crazy fucks who are convinced that they're on some level higher than you and they can't help but patronize anything you say. They respect you, but they don't respect you.

Fuck a bunch of that. I'd rather die and have some sort of eternal afterlife before reincarnation and I'd rather take oblivion than know that even in death, there is rank. There are lords and those who dictate your actions. Seriously, fuck that.

Oddly enough, why can't we all just get EXACTLY what we think we should get when we die without having to adhere to some god to do the favor or some system of lives to "learn" how to fall in line with the bigger picture? Why can't we have exactly what we want from our own designs?

Not to be pissy, Gnar Gnar, but your post was damn near exactly like something my roomie would say and she's just as bad as the evangelical fundi.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
electrosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Oiseau Noir

What English class did you take?

"dis are englesh 101?"

And why would I check out your profile? I could care less if you're a martial artist, or an astronaut with two wooden arms and legs. You annoy me. Plain and simple.

I interpreted this post as negative, thus why I answered the way I did. You're the one who jumped on the offensive first, which is displayed here:

Lastly, you're welcome for the elitist "fiddle fabble." It's all in a day's work.

Right behind you girlfriend! I didn't enjoy this poem at all, and any of the other posts by him I saw on here just annoyed me.
electrosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #17
DeathToLems

Weird! before I logged on here today for some reason I have had the word seppuku in my head. And kept thinking about this funny picture I saw
http://www.taintedink.com/Reiko%20Ga...ko110small.jpg

How odd. I feel a almost psychic ness in me today. wewt!
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #18
gothicusmaximus

Knights beat Samurai every time.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #19
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
WRONG http://www.thearma.org/essays/knightvs.htm
Old 04-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #20
tickingstitch

Its like thi slife is a knot in a long string...
like a cough
eh
Fuck it

Aim: K143rsjrp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane
Oh shit!!!*tries to run away, but trips, he breaks his neck on a stool*No I know how Hilary Swank feels like.
tickingstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:34 PM   #21
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Sir I challenge you to a joust!
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #22
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
If I had but two lives to live, I'd spend one reading that huge fucking essay.
tl;dr, but I'll take your word for it.

And Kontan, we probably don't get exactly what we want after we die because no one would be willing to personally fulfill all of our depraved fantasy visions, and you know that at least a good portion of people would just elect to have a realm of eternal catgirl orgy or something.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #23
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork
If I had but two lives to live, I'd spend one reading that huge fucking essay.
tl;dr, but I'll take your word for it.

And Kontan, we probably don't get exactly what we want after we die because no one would be willing to personally fulfill all of our depraved fantasy visions, and you know that at least a good portion of people would just elect to have a realm of eternal catgirl orgy or something.

On that note, I agree. Lots of people probably would opt out for the eternal orgy. Let them. Too bad it'd get boring as hell after about a few days or so.

Me on the other hand, when I die, I want my options and I don't want to have to appeal to anything or anyone about it. I would rather be a more perfect me without having to answer to anyone or anything. I am my own product as well should my afterlife be so.

If you ever cared to visit, come on over.

As far as reincarnation goes, I simply find it redundant. I STILL don't think we have to live millions of lives to have a better afterlife. If you can change things here, you should be able to change things there as well.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I believe this life has next to nothing to do with some afterlife and the afterlife has next to nothing to do with this one. Our actions mean only anything here and now.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
On that note, I agree. Lots of people probably would opt out for the eternal orgy. Let them. Too bad it'd get boring as hell after about a few days or so.
I can see your no follower of Slaanesh.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #25
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathToLems
He forgot his second..
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote