Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #226
Versus

I think I'm going to make training montage for fun. But with what song? @_@
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #227
Valhalla

^ I know it's overdone, but there's no way of getting around using the Rocky theme song.

Anyway. I'm not a gym person. I'm not even a work out person. I'm the kind who likes to sit around on the couch and eat junk food/read/play video games/ not move.

I'm trying to change that. ...Again. I figure the endorphins will help a little bit with the depression, and getting in shape would be nice. I tried over the summer to get into doing pilates (and yoga<3) but after a week I just stopped. Then I went to the gym a couple months ago and then school got busy, and I never went back.

Until today. I just finished up an hour work out at the gym. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to start making myself go every couple days.

Maybe if I sign up for a class, I'll feel like I have to go to it at that time every week and I'll stick to it. I've always been interested in learning how to belly dance. And "Piloxing" (pilates, boxing and dance all in one) is apparently really fun. The only thing about a class would be that I'd have to get over feeling silly and ridiculous. Which makes no sense, since all the other people would be doing the same ridiculous looking movements.

Any advice on how to stick to your work out schedule?
Valhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #228
Miss Absynthe

I have just bought some new clothes and to my absolute freaking delight I have discovered that I have dropped 4 dress sizes!

I didn't realise that I had lost THAT much weight as I am pretty much still wearing a lot of my old clothes. They are really baggy on me, but I didn't realise that they were that baggy.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #229
Grausamkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
You should use that montage song from South Park! Guess we need a montage.....montage.....

Syn, that is awesome! How are you feeling compared to back then when you're olde clothes fit?

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #230
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
^ I know it's overdone, but there's no way of getting around using the Rocky theme song.

Anyway. I'm not a gym person. I'm not even a work out person. I'm the kind who likes to sit around on the couch and eat junk food/read/play video games/ not move.

I'm trying to change that. ...Again. I figure the endorphins will help a little bit with the depression, and getting in shape would be nice. I tried over the summer to get into doing pilates (and yoga<3) but after a week I just stopped. Then I went to the gym a couple months ago and then school got busy, and I never went back.

Until today. I just finished up an hour work out at the gym. Now I'm trying to figure out a way to start making myself go every couple days.

Maybe if I sign up for a class, I'll feel like I have to go to it at that time every week and I'll stick to it. I've always been interested in learning how to belly dance. And "Piloxing" (pilates, boxing and dance all in one) is apparently really fun. The only thing about a class would be that I'd have to get over feeling silly and ridiculous. Which makes no sense, since all the other people would be doing the same ridiculous looking movements.

Any advice on how to stick to your work out schedule?
"Gonna fly now" is on my Jim playlist, actually. I would like to use it, but I don't really feel like its as fun as some other songs.

As for exercising consistently, it's really hard for me to do if I don't enjoy it. My advice is to find something you like and do it because you like it. Hopefully you'll forget that it's work.

What do you typically like to do when you exercise? Maybe I can think of something that you haven't, yet.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #231
Fruitbat

[quote=Valhalla;687395Any advice on how to stick to your work out schedule?[/QUOTE]

Val - in the early days, I had to physically force myself to go to the gym to get into a routine. I decided that I could go four days a week (mon, tues, thurs and fri) and so I made myself go even when I made up excuses or reasons not to go (like I'm too tired, had a bad night etc). On the bad days, I would just go and walk on the tredmill and just veg out for 40 minutes.

After about a month it became a habit. Plus I wanted to get my money's worth for the gym - that was my main 'excuse' to keep going.

Just keep moving. It will become easier to do things as you get fitter, which is my insentive to keep moving.

Syn congrats on the weight loss.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #232
Valhalla

Back again with an update, I think I've found my workout. I'm trying to get involved in Roller Derby.

I think it seems like a lot of fun (and potentially a lot of pain, as everyone keeps telling me, but that's besides the point). Plus the investment for the gear will be enough to keep me playing and practicing for a while.

It doesn't matter that I'm a shitty skater either. They teach the basic of skating, and are trying to increase interest in the sport more than anything.

It will also give me a reason to get in even better shape, since the better shape I'm in the more energy I'll have to put into playing. I guess health to be 'more attractive' and live longer just wasn't a good enough motivator.

If my gear comes in time I get to skate around this week, I'll update again with how it went. ... The update is partly because everyone I know either doesn't understand the appeal, or is sick of hearing me talk about how excited I am.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #233
Versus

Quote:
Back again with an update, I think I've found my workout. I'm trying to get involved in Roller Derby.

I think it seems like a lot of fun (and potentially a lot of pain, as everyone keeps telling me, but that's besides the point). Plus the investment for the gear will be enough to keep me playing and practicing for a while.

It doesn't matter that I'm a shitty skater either. They teach the basic of skating, and are trying to increase interest in the sport more than anything.

It will also give me a reason to get in even better shape, since the better shape I'm in the more energy I'll have to put into playing. I guess health to be 'more attractive' and live longer just wasn't a good enough motivator.

If my gear comes in time I get to skate around this week, I'll update again with how it went. ... The update is partly because everyone I know either doesn't understand the appeal, or is sick of hearing me talk about how excited I am.
I've never been to a roller derby, but it looks like a lot of fun to watch, so I share your enthusiasm. Also: Pictures or it didn't happen.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #234
Fruitbat

Quote:

*green with envy* if I had a set of balls, I do this. It looks awesome, and I love the costumes/outfits you get to wear. It looks like so much fun. I've got a GF who has connections and I've begged her to take me along.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 AM   #235
wolf moon

Quote:

Ha! I think I love you. Roller derby is amazing... the season just started back up here and I've been dragging my husband out to watch girls hit each other again. The only thing stopping me from trying out is that the local team is flat track and I don't handle turns nearly as well without the bank. Do you have a name?
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #236
Valhalla

Quote:
I've never been to a roller derby, but it looks like a lot of fun to watch, so I share your enthusiasm. Also: Pictures or it didn't happen.
I'll see what I can do about pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruitBat
*green with envy* if I had a set of balls, I do this. It looks awesome, and I love the costumes/outfits you get to wear. It looks like so much fun. I've got a GF who has connections and I've begged her to take me along.
The costumes are fun looking, outrageous make up also isn't out of place. If you're interested you could always give it a try, or at least go roller skating which is fun on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Moon
Ha! I think I love you. Roller derby is amazing... the season just started back up here and I've been dragging my husband out to watch girls hit each other again. The only thing stopping me from trying out is that the local team is flat track and I don't handle turns nearly as well without the bank. Do you have a name?
A lot of the girls in derby have to start from scratch as far as the skating goes anyway, so if you only have to focus on learning to take flat track turns better you'll already be ahead of most of the freshies who get recruited at the same time you do.

I don't have a name, I've thought about it a little, but there are so many options! I actually have a notepad document with all the name ideas I've come up with xD
Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #237
Saya

I know a few of the girls in our local team! They're an awesome crowd. I'd totally do it if I were at all athletic.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #238
Fruitbat

Quote:
I'll see what I can do about pictures.

The costumes are fun looking, outrageous make up also isn't out of place. If you're interested you could always give it a try, or at least go roller skating which is fun on it's own.

A lot of the girls in derby have to start from scratch as far as the skating goes anyway, so if you only have to focus on learning to take flat track turns better you'll already be ahead of most of the freshies who get recruited at the same time you do.

I don't have a name, I've thought about it a little, but there are so many options! I actually have a notepad document with all the name ideas I've come up with xD

Just between the two of us Val, the last time I went skating was the first time. My dad, who hadn't skated since he was a boy, just put on the skates and took off across the arena, while I was left to try and figure out how to stand up on them. I think I was about 10 at the time.

Plus unless I was in a really foul temper, I'd be apologizing for bumping into the other girls and that would never do to build up a badass rep, but I'd love to do it, like I'd love to do Pakour.

Keep us posted. You are my rollerderby hero!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #239
Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I know a few of the girls in our local team! They're an awesome crowd. I'd totally do it if I were at all athletic.
Sometimes I seriously think you know everyone except me.

Wednesday night they're teaching how to balance, fall correctly, how to stop, how to skate in a pack, and turning. You can learn to be athletic, ... Come on, Saya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat
Just between the two of us Val, the last time I went skating was the first time. My dad, who hadn't skated since he was a boy, just put on the skates and took off across the arena, while I was left to try and figure out how to stand up on them. I think I was about 10 at the time.

Plus unless I was in a really foul temper, I'd be apologizing for bumping into the other girls and that would never do to build up a badass rep, but I'd love to do it, like I'd love to do Pakour.

Keep us posted. You are my rollerderby hero!
I haven't been skating since I was 12-ish.

I'm thinking that most people grow out of that, haha. After you knock someone over a few times and get knocked over a few times yourself verbal polite-ness will probably go out the door.

At least I know even if I'm bad at it I'm still someone's hero.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #240
Saya

I just don't think I can make myself be aggressive XD Even if I were to get strong enough to be good at it, I don't think I could shove other people around. I'd totally go watch though.

And wouldn't it be funny if we DO know each other? XD Five bucks says we have like five friends in common on facebook.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #241
Valhalla

I'll also be accepting suggestions for a derby name.

I got a e-mail back tonight. Apparently if my stuff doesn't come in time they might be able to hook me up with gear until it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
I just don't think I can make myself be aggressive XD Even if I were to get strong enough to be good at it, I don't think I could shove other people around. I'd totally go watch though.

And wouldn't it be funny if we DO know each other? XD Five bucks says we have like five friends in common on facebook.
I've looked at your picture and I'm pretty sure I don't know you, however the scarf looks fantastic. And creepily enough, every time Women's Resource Center had a booth somewhere I'd kind of eye them to see if any of them were possibly you. Never seemed to be.

I'll have to update my profile thing with a picture. However I am 5 feet tall with 3 feet of dirty blonde hair, you may already know based on that if you've seen me around.

If I had a facebook. *puts on sunglasses*
Old 03-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #242
Fruitbat

Val - there is never such a thing as a bad rollerderby person. Don't let it stop you from having fun.

President of the Val Rollerderby hero fan club.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #243
Class-Punk

Quote:
Here's something somewhere between awesome and cheesy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdcskfqXH5I

---

I'm pretty much a meathead at this point which is why I call myself Brothic, and I can't stop training to The New Division. I sometimes do 3 day splits, but if I can I like to do a 6 day split with deadlifts at the end; which avoiding overtraining is in the minimal sets and a lot of eating.

Bodyweight workouts:
http://www.bodyrock.tv/

Compound lifts are great for beginners. The first post in this thread has beginner lifting routines at the bottom of it.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=118920551

Automatic Diet Planner
http://swole.me/

Good resource on general fitness
http://scoobysworkshop.com/
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #244
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-Punk View Post
Here's something somewhere between awesome and cheesy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdcskfqXH5I
I'm not really a fan, to be honest. It just doesn't pump me up.

---

Quote:
I'm pretty much a meathead at this point which is why I call myself Brothic, and I can't stop training to The New Division. I sometimes do 3 day splits, but if I can I like to do a 6 day split with deadlifts at the end; which avoiding overtraining is in the minimal sets and a lot of eating.
Haha, I listen to Tupac and stuff like it. How long do you typically take on training days? I'm really annoyed that the gyms here are fucking crowded in the morning and in the evening. Between having to fight for weights and improvise, I can't get more then 45 minutes before I run out of things to do. I only do 3 days of weights and try to fill the gaps with hills and abs.

Quote:
Compound lifts are great for beginners. The first post in this thread has beginner lifting routines at the bottom of it.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=118920551
^ This. I've always been an advocate of Starting Strength. It's nice to see someone who understands its application.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #245
wolf moon

Quote:
I'll also be accepting suggestions for a derby name.
I once thought of a really great name just in case I ever felt like I needed to get the shit kicked out of me every week. I've since forgotten it. It's yours if it comes back, though!

One of our local girls in a high school math teacher. Her roller derby name is Quadratic Abrasion. I actually love her.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #246
Class-Punk

Quote:
I'm not really a fan, to be honest. It just doesn't pump me up.

---

Haha, I listen to Tupac and stuff like it. How long do you typically take on training days? I'm really annoyed that the gyms here are fucking crowded in the morning and in the evening. Between having to fight for weights and improvise, I can't get more then 45 minutes before I run out of things to do. I only do 3 days of weights and try to fill the gaps with hills and abs.

^ This. I've always been an advocate of Starting Strength. It's nice to see someone who understands its application.
I didn't know how serious you were or that you were a "gym rat" so I wasn't sure what to post. Here's something I might use if I ever put together a training montage (actually found it via one): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTaxR3SMxGc

I usually train an hour or less, but I've been training at home for right now. I'm bulking; started at 130, and now I'm around 145, and working towards 155 or 160.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #247
Valhalla

Very first roller derby experience was tonight. I'm a terrible skater, but none of the other newbies had much skating experience either so I wasn't the only one. I fell down many times, but I think I only came out with a bruise on my thumb. I live a ridiculously sedentary life, so now I'm exhausted. Legs are jelly.

Loved every second of it though. Real practice and registration starts next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf moon View Post
I once thought of a really great name just in case I ever felt like I needed to get the shit kicked out of me every week. I've since forgotten it. It's yours if it comes back, though!

One of our local girls in a high school math teacher. Her roller derby name is Quadratic Abrasion. I actually love her.
It would be appreciated. I was thinking something along the lines of Arkham Horror, Crypt Keeper, or Valkyrie, but I have at least four months to decide what I'd like. She-Wolf like the Megadeth song was something else I was thinking about.

That's actually adorable!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #248
Fruitbat

Quote:
Very first roller derby experience was tonight. I'm a terrible skater, but none of the other newbies had much skating experience either so I wasn't the only one. I fell down many times, but I think I only came out with a bruise on my thumb. I live a ridiculously sedentary life, so now I'm exhausted. Legs are jelly.

Loved every second of it though. Real practice and registration starts next month.

It would be appreciated. I was thinking something along the lines of Arkham Horror, Crypt Keeper, or Valkyrie, but I have at least four months to decide what I'd like. She-Wolf like the Megadeth song was something else I was thinking about.

That's actually adorable!
Oh great rolllerderbier,

Awesome news. But you need a killer name. I like Graus name Quadratic Abrasion.

If I were a derbier,I'd call myself fluffy towel or Chocolate cake. Oh the Caffinator - see, terrible with names.

Your name must bring fear to your enemies - fluffy bunny is not an option :-D

Signed,

Worshipper of the wheels you fly around the track on,

fruity.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #249
honeythorn

Zumba has killed me. That woman is on fucking speed or something. She does a class in another town, and when it finishes, she drives like the wind to my town and does out class. I want some of whatever the fuck she's on.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #250
Versus

What's a Zumba?

-Breathin, Tupac.