Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #26
Acharis

Quote:
"It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," he said, referring to conception following a ****. "If it's a legitimate ****, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."
All I can say about him and the doctor that fed him that is -
'What We Need More Of Is Science'.

I'm so sick of victim blaming... currently serving up cupfuls of R@pe Culture 101 on Facebook after the r@pe and murder of Jill Meagher in Melbourne has brought the old 'don't walk alone, don't do this, do that' scaremongering advice out in force.
Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
Acharis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
and if you orgasmed, it wasn't really ****, was it, you hussy.
It actually isn't uncommon for orgasm to occur during r@pe as a physiological response (not as an expression of enjoyment or consent), and for it to really mess the victim up psychologically.

* I was going to put a trigger warning, but this whole thread is a trigger warning.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #28
Versus

Wow. I didn't know that.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #29
Alan

Zizek wrote a very interesting article on that, and how it is worse, because the woman now feels betrayed by her own body, and has internalized the misogynistic rhetoric that because she orgasmed she 'let it happen' and can't understand how she could do something like that, even though in reality she did nothing wrong.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Acharis

Yeah. I can imagine the loss of power and control would be profound, and disclosure/reporting/counselling even more difficult.

Edit: Did anyone watch the video? Because it is too epic to be wasted.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #31
Versus

I'll watch it when I get home.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharis View Post
Yeah. I can imagine the loss of power and control would be profound, and disclosure/reporting/counselling even more difficult.
There have been cases where the victim has been asked about this and their answers presented as 'proof' that the incident was consensual by the alleged perpetrator's defence team.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #33
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
There have been cases where the victim has been asked about this and their answers presented as 'proof' that the incident was consensual by the alleged perpetrator's defence team.
It also used to be the case that if a victim got pregnant, it was proof it wasn't rrape because it used to be believed that women can only get pregnant if they orgasm.

This is also really bad for male rrape victims particularly when assaulted by women. I read in a book that rapists often use this against the victims as well.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #34
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
It also used to be the case that if a victim got pregnant, it was proof it wasn't rrape because it used to be believed that women can only get pregnant if they orgasm.

This is also really bad for male rrape victims particularly when assaulted by women. I read in a book that rapists often use this against the victims as well.
Yes.. and the idea that if a male victim has an erection then it constitutes consent is still put forward in a lot of cases - problematic on SO many levels, not the least of which is that it doesn't address the fact that an erection is a physiological response to certain physical stimuli.. when you add that a lot of men don't actually realise this about their bodies (because erections are so linked to psychological desire in our view) it can create such a cognitive dissonance for the survivor to have to deal with.

I've had this discussion with a number of patients I've nursed who were incredibly upset and after talking to them it would come out that they had got erections from having suppositories inserted and were struggling with the idea that this might mean that they were queer... to be trying to deal with that on the back of a sexual assault would be unthinkable.

Rrape-culture is fucked, and it's hard to dismantle when it's perpetuated by the very system that is supposed to be protecting the victims.

There is a book called The History of Rrape by Joanna Bourke that you might find interesting. There are some issues with it, but on the whole it's a good read. The statistics in it are quite triggering, though.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #35
Saya

Quote:
Yes.. and the idea that if a male victim has an erection then it constitutes consent is still put forward in a lot of cases - problematic on SO many levels, not the least of which is that it doesn't address the fact that an erection is a physiological response to certain physical stimuli.. when you add that a lot of men don't actually realise this about their bodies (because erections are so linked to psychological desire in our view) it can create such a cognitive dissonance for the survivor to have to deal with.

I've had this discussion with a number of patients I've nursed who were incredibly upset and after talking to them it would come out that they had got erections from having suppositories inserted and were struggling with the idea that this might mean that they were queer... to be trying to deal with that on the back of a sexual assault would be unthinkable.

Rrape-culture is fucked, and it's hard to dismantle when it's perpetuated by the very system that is supposed to be protecting the victims.

There is a book called The History of Rrape by Joanna Bourke that you might find interesting. There are some issues with it, but on the whole it's a good read. The statistics in it are quite triggering, though.
Is that Rrape: Sex, Violence, History? I read it a few years ago, actually I was thinking about the chapter on male victims, female rrapists when I posted earlier.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #36
Versus

Video was not amusing.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #37
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Is that Rrape: Sex, Violence, History? I read it a few years ago, actually I was thinking about the chapter on male victims, female rrapists when I posted earlier.
It's called "****: a history from 1860 to the present" and there is an interesting article about it here. Although, It might've been released with a different title in the US and Canada.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #38
Saya

Quote:
It's called "****: a history from 1860 to the present" and there is an interesting article about it here. Although, It might've been released with a different title in the US and Canada.
Yeah, its the same book! I tried googling it but I couldn't see the book cover or anything under that title.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #39
Acharis

Bah. I thought it speared Todd Akin quite well with its reference to fundamentalists and criticism of believing bullshit.

Also it's an awesome song.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #40
Versus

It's okay for you to like it, you know.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #41
Acharis

You're just saying that

Anyway, it's regrettable that wicca/new age are targeted as well, otherwise that'd be the perfect meme for religious people who sciencesplain and spew misinformation about reproduction in the terms that suit their agenda.

The war on womens reproductive/bodily rights is fucking scary... mainly because a large number of people repeat and believe what their leaders tell them, and majority rules when it comes to changing laws.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #42
BourbonBoy

Not always Acharis. In the US "Rode vs Wade" is the case the Supreme Court ruled on that made abortion legal, something that has made the religious right foam at the mouth since it acknowledged and granted the basic right for a woman to have control over her reproductive system. Ever since, they have been fighting tooth and nail in an attempt to have it overturned while making it a simple red and blue issue when it's clearly a purple issue. While it's said that the majority of Americans are Pro-Life and Pro-Choice is the minority, Roe vs Wade has yet to be overturned and I think it has little chance to be further argued for at least another 10 years.

Source: Gallup
On the red vs blue Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice

The other stats that go further than just Life vs Choice

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx#1
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #43
Miss Absynthe

The really scary aspect about "Legal under certain circumstances" is who gets to decide on what those circumstances are. I bet that the ~50% who checked that box didn't think about that.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #44
Versus

Or think about what criminal sentencing would be.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #45
Miss Absynthe

Yes, although there is a difference between illegal and criminalised.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #46
BourbonBoy

But this is the U.S., where you get thrown in jail for less than an ounce of a controlled substance.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #47
Miss Absynthe

Do not get me started on your Three Strikes laws.

Oh, the rants I could rant!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #48
BourbonBoy

Are you kidding? Heh, don't get me started. If I had the funds and the means I'd be living across the pond in Europe.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #49
Miss Absynthe

Fuck Europe.

If you want freedom, you need to come south.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #50
Versus

G.net island.

-Breathin, Tupac.