Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
HavelockV

TANZ DER VAMPIRE - Gothic Musical

I confess I have an affection for certain works of musical theatre, with the widely-known The Phantom of the Opera being my particular favorite (though the filmed version released in 2004 was a load of rubbish).

However, a lesser-known musical, at least here in the United States, is Tanz Der Vampire, with music written by Jim Steinman. It is, as obviously stated by the title, a show about vampires, though in which the stereotypical roles of the professor, the professor's assistant, and the damsel in distress take a different direction. The first act may take a little while to warm up to interesting since the vampires do not appear right away, but the exposition scenes with the village peasants and other human characters are amusing nonetheless. There is a stunning sung soliloquy by the lead vampire, Count von Krolock, in the second act in which he reflects upon his unlife and how, being a vampire, he has destroyed everything that he has ever loved. I could go on about all the scenes and numbers that I enjoy, but I think it is better experienced than told.

Some of you, especially New Yorkers, may recall the sordid, and mercifully short-lived, affair of Dance of the Vampires on Broadway several years ago. A shame, really, that the creative team felt it necessary to alter such an otherwise wonderful theatrical experience that lovingly spoofed both vampires and the gothic culture into a slapstick, irreverent parody that was simply painful to digest; particularly if one was familiar with the original European version.

I am happy to say that the original, and vastly superior, Tanz Der Vampire has continued to perform in Europe, mostly in Germany but also in slightly altered productions in Poland, Hungary, and even in Japan. However, the original Austrian/German production is my favorite, with magnificent costumes and sets that both reflect and improve upon the designs in the Roman Polanski film that inspired the show's creation.

Although some might be put-off by hearing recycled 1980's music (particularly 'Total Eclipse of the Heart') used in this show, it really is a fun musical theatre romp that, in my humble opinion, is far more entertaining than it's non-musical film predecessor.

To watch a very well-done 'trailer' for the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5u3tSE0a1g

To see a longer medly of scenes from the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epWl_ZZSF48

To watch the entire show on YouTube in German with English Subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpHgF...x=0&playnext=1

To watch it in German without English Subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFDKqSW3ZDo

For more information about the show, see its page on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanz_der_Vampire

I do realize that musical theatre is not for everyone, but hope that some will find this show to be to their liking.

Enjoy!
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Lady Christine

I think my heart has skipped a beat... I think I've stumbled across one or two photos of the show... a video or two, but a friend sent them to me, hard to believe more people are becoming cultured nowadays. I quite enjoy the plot, I only wish a decent american or even english version for that matter could be produced. I would certainly attend and I think the same could be said for many... why does Europe get nice things...
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
HavelockV

Ah yes, a decent production of the show in America would be wonderful, but if I am not mistaken, after the debacle that was Broadway's version, the creators of the show put an embargo prohibiting it from being performed in any English language-speaking countries indefinitely. Ordinarily, I'd call it bad form, but I can understand it considering how disrespectfully the material was treated. Perhaps someday matters can be resolved; either that or I shall have to save up funds to travel to Germany and see it there.

Most gratifying to encounter another Tanz enthusiast here!
Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
Lady Christine

Well, I can understand their distaste, but perhaps if someone were talented enough to work with them to see how the show could best be transcribed and later performed in a proper way, then of course putting a few more creative liberties that enhance it and give it a unique flair, they would be pleased... unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps praying would help... or saving money for a trip to Germany could be fun, be sure to invest in sightseeing as well. I hear it's a beautiful country.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #5
HavelockV

From what I understand, there are plans to make a film out of the show brewing in Germany. However, I am unclear as to whether it would be a professionally filmed stage performance or whether it would be more like a real motion picture shot on location and/or at a soundstage with expanded sets and other such enhancements.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
isobel black

This ran in Germany about 10 years ago.
I never went to see it, because I'm not that into musicals, and my friends and I thought at the time it was a blatant attempt to capitalize on the Gothic fad with a contrived piece of shit that wasn't Goth(ic) at all.
I assume you'd argue we were mistaken?
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
HavelockV

Good morning, Miss Isobel.

As I have mentioned, productions of the show have continued to run throughout the past decade or so, and will re-open in Vienna this year and in Stuttgart next year. It has also attracted, and continues to attract, some of the top musical theatre talent from both Germany and the United States to perform in it. If you'll pardon my saying so, I believe the show has a wider appeal beyond the Gothic 'fad' that you refer to, but I also think that those who consider themselves to be Gothic should not dismiss it out of hand on account of this.

Personally I believe that the best way to enjoy this musical, even from a Gothic perspective, is to avoid taking it too seriously. While it does have all the requisite darkly extravagant visual trappings that would be associated with the whole 'stereotypical' vampire mythos, I assert that it is also something of a loving mockery of the Gothic culture and other facets of life. Alongside the sometimes angst-ridden ruminations of the lead vampire, there are laughs aplenty about vampiric superstitions, letchery, sex, and even homosexuality (though not in what I would perceive as an offensive manner). There are wonderful dream/nightmare sequences, references to the temptation and glamour of 'evil' (as represented by the vampires' lifestyle), and of course, love, loss, mortality, and immortality.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I am merely attempting to shed some light upon something that I felt at least some other members of this board might be interested in.

Kind regards.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
Lady Christine

Well HavelockV, let us hope that if it is to be made into a film, it does not turn out as disappointing as The Phantom of the Opera from 2004...
Old 03-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
Sinjob

Looks pretty interesting, thanks for the link!
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Of course, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I am merely attempting to shed some light upon something that I felt at least some other members of this board might be interested in.

Thanks for your explanation. It wasn't so much an opinion I was expressing, as I have never seen the show, but an assumption I made when first hearing about it roughly 10 years ago.

I still don't think it's for me though, but to each their own, like you say.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #11
HavelockV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Christine View Post
Well HavelockV, let us hope that if it is to be made into a film, it does not turn out as disappointing as The Phantom of the Opera from 2004...
Indeed! Having Tanz butchered once was more than enough, thank you!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Indeed! Having Tanz butchered once was more than enough, thank you!
Perhaps the film could make sense of the ending however...
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
HavelockV

I would not hold my breath in anticipation of such a clarification, my lady. The ending of the original Dance of the Vampires film was also quite similar to the one utilized in the show, though minus the final song and dance number, of course!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
Fae-wolf

I'll give it a chance, but i'm tired of vampires......
It doesn't look bad though
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote