Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
Xombie

You don't get it. Har har.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #27
Wintermute

I used to struggle like this at one point. It's funny watching other people fall for it now.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
Amunet

I get it. Flaming is the thing to do to newbies, no matter what, so to be honest, I don't care, but I'm witty by nature so a comeback isn't usually far away
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #29
viscus

Generally, only those who set themselves up for it are flamed around here.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #30
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xombie View Post
What he's trying to tell you is that you don't listen to any goth rock bands at all, and therefore aren't really embracing the culture which you originally claimed to be so in love with.
Actually I was trying to say their music taste sucks, but that works too.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #31
Wintermute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I get it. Flaming is the thing to do to newbies, no matter what, so to be honest, I don't care, but I'm witty by nature so a comeback isn't usually far away
Awesome. You'll fit right in.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #32
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack View Post
Actually I was trying to say their music taste sucks, but that works too.
Well, according to you it does, buttttt, you don't know what I listen to on a large scale, so your character judgment sucks

like I said a few times... Anyone who wants to chime in with some Gothic Rock Bands that they like, that I should listen to go right ahead...
(and before you say anything, I have been lurking in the music threads and such so I already have a list going....)

No one can accuse me of not trying, and that's a fact.
(Win)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #33
Stormtrooper of Death

Don't worry about this, it's a process we put people through from time to time. Don't sweat it here, some people are actually nice.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #34
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Don't worry about this, it's a process we put people through from time to time. Don't sweat it here, some people are actually nice.
lol. thanks, ya i know, I lurked here a bit before joining so i got the main idea.
I can understand if someone legit deserves it, but if there's no reason other than just to do it, well, it's irritating. but I'm over it. thanks for the chin up though haha.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #35
Stormtrooper of Death

No problem, I still get a lot of flak from time to time too. It's normal, and the fact I'm outspoken sometimes.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #36
Wintermute

The trick is to make posts that intentionally open themselves up to flames and roll with the punches as they come. I can't remember what they call that in comedy. Isn't it being the 'foil' for a joke?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #37
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
The trick is to make posts that intentionally open themselves up to flames and roll with the punches as they come. I can't remember what they call that in comedy. Isn't it being the 'foil' for a joke?
Well, on the internet, they call it trolling.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #38
Wintermute

Oh, yeah. I forgot.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #39
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Ya, i figured as much, its not a problem really, I just give it back when I get it... I'm not really mad, irritated maybe, Thanks for the input. I appreciate it
Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #40
Tam Li Hua

I'm confused; if you aren't really sure what Goth Rock largely consists of, then in what sense do you claim "Goth"? Is it because you wear only black and are in a band, or am I missing something? O_o

*No, this isn't a trollish question; yes, as silly as it may seem, I'm serious.*

Some of the better known Goth Bands [which you could find out about rather quickly by way of Google] are as follows:

-- Bauhaus/Peter Murphy
-- Sisters of Mercy
-- Siouxsie and the Banshees/Siouxsie Sioux
-- .45 Grave
-- Joy Division/New Order
-- Depeche Mode
-- The Mission UK
-- Rosetta Stone
-- Switchblade Symphony
-- The Spongebob Soundtrack [lol j/k]
-- VNV Nation
-- Voltaire [Although, he's more a goth who makes music rather than an artist who makes goth music.]
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #41
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
I'm confused; if you aren't really sure what Goth Rock largely consists of, then in what sense do you claim "Goth"? Is it because you wear only black and are in a band, or am I missing something? O_o

*No, this isn't a trollish question; yes, as silly as it may seem, I'm serious.*

Some of the better known Goth Bands [which you could find out about rather quickly by way of Google] are as follows:

-- Bauhaus/Peter Murphy
-- Sisters of Mercy
-- Siouxsie and the Banshees/Siouxsie Sioux
-- .45 Grave
-- Joy Division/New Order
-- Depeche Mode
-- The Mission UK
-- Rosetta Stone
-- Switchblade Symphony
-- The Spongebob Soundtrack [lol j/k]
-- VNV Nation
-- Voltaire [Although, he's more a goth who makes music rather than an artist who makes goth music.]

no, I know the common bands, those are the ones I started listening to,

( the commonly reffered that I found were Bauhaus, Depeche Mode and Siouxsie and the Banshees) I didn't list them under favs because I was listing what I normally listen to. It's not that I don't like those bands but I don't know them well enough to call them favorites.

I was trying to make the point that I am new to the culture, and I like the music, the style, and the attitude because I really haven't changed anything about myself except for the fact that I am now classifying myself as part of the Gothic community. I guess I just discovered that out of anything else, this was the culture that I'm most like, but to be honest, I'm just me, without any labels or criteria.
I am learning about the music because that's the most interesting part of it for me (seeing as I am a musician)

and thank you for listing more bands I can check out. That's what I was looking for.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #42
Tam Li Hua

You're welcome. ^_^

Just for the heck of it, here are some of my recent favs that aren't necessarily "Goth":

-- Rasputina [If Steampunk had a sound, this would be it.]
-- Emilie Autumn [Victoriandustrial]
-- The Beatles [Yeah, been listening to them a lot lately; I blame Rock Band lol]
-- Soundtrack to Bayonetta [Console game on the 360 and PS3]
-- Hungry Lucy [Soft Goth]
-- Ego Likeness [Goth]
-- Roxette [Not Goth at all, but still excellent]
-- Anamanaguchi [???]
-- Omodaka [???]
-- Bjork [Defies Genres]
-- Kerli [Goth Pop Rock, if such a thing exists.]
-- Dommin [Goth]
-- Infected Mushroom [Techno]

I could go on and on, but this is a good, basic list that spands everything from New Age to Heavy Metal. [I tend to listen to music based on my mood.]
Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #43
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
You're welcome. ^_^

Just for the heck of it, here are some of my recent favs that aren't necessarily "Goth":

-- Rasputina [If Steampunk had a sound, this would be it.]
-- Emilie Autumn [Victoriandustrial]
-- The Beatles [Yeah, been listening to them a lot lately; I blame Rock Band lol]
-- Soundtrack to Bayonetta [Console game on the 360 and PS3]
-- Hungry Lucy [Soft Goth]
-- Ego Likeness [Goth]
-- Roxette [Not Goth at all, but still excellent]
-- Anamanaguchi [???]
-- Omodaka [???]
-- Bjork [Defies Genres]
-- Kerli [Goth Pop Rock, if such a thing exists.]
-- Dommin [Goth]
-- Infected Mushroom [Techno]

I could go on and on, but this is a good, basic list that spands everything from New Age to Heavy Metal. [I tend to listen to music based on my mood.]
I am huge fan of Kerli (They Forgive is one of my favs of hers), Soundtrack and Bjork (Human Behavior, one of my favs) already actually.
I love emotion evoking music especially, so soundtracks from movies (composers and stuff ) like Hans Zimmer, etc... awesomeness. I don't think there's a moment that goes by during the day when I'm not listening to or singing music. It's just a huge part of my life.
I'm also partial to Jazz (standards) and some modern stuff too. I dunno, Like I said originally, the list of love for music goes on and on and I can't possibly pick a favorite genre or artist.

Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #44
Tam Li Hua

You're welcome. =)

The Bayonetta soundtrack is rather jazzy, which is why I like it. The two with question marks may not be your thing; they're very reminiscent of old-style video games. And by "old style" I mean like video games in the early '80s, with some "traditional" Japanese singing in the background. [The kind that sounds like a cat being slowly tortured to death. Yeah, I like some very weird music. lol]
Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #45
Wolve

-- Siouxsie and the Banshees/Siouxsie Sioux/The Creatures
Wolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #46
Amunet

thanks guys/gals I appreciate the plugs!
Old 01-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #47
Amunet

Oh and does anyone know anything about getting a signature? Do you have to be a member for so long. I tried searching the threads for help but nothing came up. I really want one

Thanks in advance
Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #48
Stormtrooper of Death

Yeah I think it's 300 posts, not 100% sure though. Make sure to mosey to the picture post in the general thread, from what I've seen you should post something there, your avatar always looks nice.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #49
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper of Death View Post
Yeah I think it's 300 posts, not 100% sure though. Make sure to mosey to the picture post in the general thread, from what I've seen you should post something there, your avatar always looks nice.
well thanks. ya I just posted in the picture post. Gonna do more later.