Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Midnite

Greetings from Toronto!

Hello everyone! Been into the goth subculture for a number of years now, but I just joined up on this site. Now then, here we go with the noob question game:

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Jobwise, I'm a dept.manager in retail. As for hobbies: I'm into the darker genres of music, whether its classic goth rock, darkwave, industrial, black metal, dark ambient, goth metal, doom, neo-folk, neo-classical, etc. I still enjoy attending concerts, events, and occasional club nights. I'm also into sci-fi & horror films, books & graphic novels, paintings/artwork, parapsychology, metaphysics, dreams, fitness/working out.

2. Where are you from?
I hail just north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada

3. Who is your favorite author?
Hmm, perhaps Neil Gaiman

4. What are your favorite films?
The Crow, Blade Runner, Matrix, Dark City, Donnie Darko, Solaris, Stalker (Tarkovsky), Sleepy Hollow, Cube, Gattaca, Event Horizon, Orphanage, The Ring, Dead End... there's so many good films out there!

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Well... if marriage is in my cards, I imagine I would want some darkly romantic hymn to play during the first slow dance.

6. At your funeral?
At my funeral, something dark and melancholic, yet beautiful at the same time. A song in which the lyrics encompasses certain aspects of my life, yet when it ends can leave an impression on the guests that they are to move on and be happy.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
In whichever way is least physically painful. Just give me death while I sleep, and I'll be content to slip away from this reality in that fashion. While I'm dreaming might be considered a bonus. I think I would find it hard to experience the stage of death while in a state of awareness.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
I suppose something with a darker sense of design. I actually haven't put much thought into it over the years.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Hard to pick just one. It all depends where I'm going and what the occasion is. For everyday wear, I no longer overdo it in a "goth" sense, but when going to a show/club/event, that's when I'll pull out my better goth outfits.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
The innocence and wonder of experiencing so many things for the first time. Oftentimes, they were the simplest of things too. I'm 35, so the 80's were my years as a little kid, and as others close to my age might attest, it was a great decade to grow up in. Times were safer, and mentalities were different. And since the technological age was still in its infancy, things somehow seemed more adventurous. I should probably start a thread on this very topic though, lol, cause there's a couple of interesting conversations we can get out of it!

11. What's your favorite band?
That's a hard question. I'll mention a few of my top faves amongst the various dark genres I'm into: Emperor, Burzum, Katatonia, Anathema, Paradise Lost, Skepticism, Theatre Of Tragedy, The 3rd & The Mortal, Sisters Of Mercy, Lycia, Xymox, FrontLine Assembly, Front 242, Arcana, Tenhi, Raison D'Etre, Atrium Carceri...

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
High school diploma. I started college but then left so I can work full-time.

13. Why did you join?
Just hoping to converse, meet, and connect with those that share like-minded interests and have a passion for some of life's darker aspects.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Mr. Tony

I do like Neil Gaiman. Front Line Assembly is good, though I like Bill's work in Delerium more. No pictures? and where do you order your clothing from?
Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Midnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tony View Post
I do like Neil Gaiman. Front Line Assembly is good, though I like Bill's work in Delerium more. No pictures? and where do you order your clothing from?

Indeed, Gaiman certainly has a unique style. Check out Sandman if you haven't already. As for Delerium, I've always been a fan of their earlier industrial-ambient style. Their first album right through to Spheres (I & II). They started to lose me a bit after that. Semantic Spaces actually wasn't too bad, but then they really commercialized their style with more world/pop influences. But I guess that's what they wanted to do, and it certainly brought them more exposure.

Pictures? There's one of me in my profile. I just joined up though, so I'm sure I'll be posting more sometime down the road.

I get my clothing almost anywhere, especially when it comes to regular everyday wear. When it comes to specific goth fashions though, or outfits I would wear out to a club or event, there's a few good shops in downtown Toronto that I still like to pop into when I'm there. The scene here is still half decent, so there's a hanful of places that cater to goth/punk/alternative.

I see you just joined up here also, so welcome aboard & see you around!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite View Post
Indeed, Gaiman certainly has a unique style. Check out Sandman if you haven't already. As for Delerium, I've always been a fan of their earlier industrial-ambient style. Their first album right through to Spheres (I & II). They started to lose me a bit after that. Semantic Spaces actually wasn't too bad, but then they really commercialized their style with more world/pop influences. But I guess that's what they wanted to do, and it certainly brought them more exposure.

Pictures? There's one of me in my profile. I just joined up though, so I'm sure I'll be posting more sometime down the road.

I get my clothing almost anywhere, especially when it comes to regular everyday wear. When it comes to specific goth fashions though, or outfits I would wear out to a club or event, there's a few good shops in downtown Toronto that I still like to pop into when I'm there. The scene here is still half decent, so there's a hanful of places that cater to goth/punk/alternative.

I see you just joined up here also, so welcome aboard & see you around!

I like the Delerium album "Chimera" the best. What exactly do you wear for fashion? Anything specific? Thanks for the welcome.
Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Crysania

i love theatre of tragedy too, with liv kristine
welcome to the boards
Crysania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Midnite

Mr.Tony: For everyday wear, it's usually just jeans or cargo pants, and a t-shirt. Really, I find I don't put too much emphasis on fashion or getting all "gothed" up if I'm just going to the mall, grocery shopping, visiting a friend or family, etc. My clothes are still, for the most part on the darker side (mostly black) and I still have a love and interest in the goth scene and the sub-culture. But at my age (I'm 35 now) I no longer find it necessary to portray a certain image around everyone every time I step outside.
However, I still go to occasional concerts, club nights, goth events, etc. And those are the times when I'm in the mood to spend more time getting ready. Normally, I find I tend to go for the more "cyber" styles (I have quite a few articles from Cyberdog) as I find they fit me best, I like the style, and I can dance in them. During the cooler months, I'll still wear my long trench coat, and have a more "traditional" goth look to me, since those were the fashions that I was attracted to when I first got into the scene, which was in my late teens/early 20's, and I still think those basic styles look great.

Crysania: Indeed, Theatre Of Tragedy was awesome when Liv was in the band (didn't like Assembly too much though). They pretty much created that style of medieval/romantic goth metal, and those first 3 albums are classics! That band Tristania started off very strong also, as 'Widow's Weeds' and 'Beyond The Veil' are both excellent albums also!
Thanks for the welcome!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
shadowynne

nice to have you here... you have some good taste there sir
shadowynne is offline   Reply With Quote