Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #26
Subphonic

Never heard it explained so eloquently KontanKarite, couldn't agree more.

I certainly don't believe the music is everything, I think its more that the music, the clothes and the black just appeal to the certain mindset you described.
Subphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #27
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakteans
but ur lifestyle cant revolve around only music
The gothic part of it does.
Quote:
i mean what are your idealogies?
We don't have set ideologies. That would limit our individuality.
Quote:
....what are your definitions of this world and the society?
We don't have a set oppinion on society. That would limit our individuality.
Quote:
..why do u ppl prefer black when there are so many other wierd colours around?
I like black, and all of them want to be me. There's no real reason we prefer black other than it's cool, and easily identifiable. Some people say it's paradoxical that we praise individuality and yet dress all the same; but I say that it's superfiial to believe we're all the same because we look alike. We would be less of an individual if we had a strict philosophy to follow rather than have a uniform.
Quote:
...why do you ppl prefer piercings when they are definitely painful?...does that mean u enjoy the pain?...
I hate piercings.
Quote:
well i may hav asked a few odd and silly questions and u ppl hav all the right in the wold to be sarcastic and make fun of me...but pls do answer the questions....
I won't make fun of you, but please write correctly. I don't care if English is not your first language; I know you know enough to know that "u" and "i" are letters, not words.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #28
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
I love it when it rains.

I love listening to Rozz Williams. And Siouxsie and the Banshees. And Clan of Xymox.

I love being different from everyone, and don't like conforming to the mainstream. When I went to Hawaii, I wore a shirt with Black hibiscus flowers superimposed on a gray background, with black shorts and sandals.

While others my age are reading the Wall Street Journal I am reading Oscar Wilde and Charles Baudelaire.

I love listening to live music at concerts and local shows, and the music is even better if it involves tritones.

I love cemeteries, mausoleums and tombstones. And caskets.

These are different interests that I just like for their individual aesthetic appeal to ME, but if an outsider happens to look at my interests collectively, they may call me "dark" and some have even said "gothic".

My point is, you can't "become goth". It is just something you like, something you are, something you do. If you "become one" then I may still like you as a friend, but you are posing and are not really being yourself.

Hope that helps. And PLEASE use a spell checker and correct grammar. Trying to read your posts makes my head hurt.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #29
raggedyanne

You want to understand Goth? I'm trying to do the same so we can work together here. To me, goth is accepting and embracing the darker, less understood parts of our world. Things that might scare others fascinate me. From what I've observed, goths are diverse and (pretty much) accepting people who posses an unnatural curiosity. They often make their own clothes and wear a lot of black. Like any other culture, there are sub-subcultures of goth that each embrace a different aesthetic ideal.
One (or two) question(s) for you: Are here many goths in India? How did you develop an interest in goth? Are there any Indian writers you reccommend?
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #30
Spyro

First of all welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Personally this is my understanding of goth:

It is not a ritual, belief or cult,(as many fools see it!) it is rather a sense of knowing how to embrace the darker and harsh things in life!There is no-one who can define a goth! Individuality is key!

People you can add a few things!
Spyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #31
freakteans

Well, I think I got it more or less.
Thanks.

raggedyanne, in India you may find a lot of goths but they can't be recognised at one look.Most of them dress normally and you've got to know them more closely to identify them as goths.I've got a friend who's totally goth but she doesn't seem so by appearence.Anyway, I've developed an interest in gothic culture mainly due to some incidents that took place in my life a few days ago.

Thanks again..
freakteans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #32
Vako

Quote:
okie..i think i got some of it...

well music is definitely a part of gothic culture...a big part of it i guess...but ur lifestyle cant revolve around only music...i mean what are your idealogies?....what are your definitions of this world and the society?..why do u ppl prefer black when there are so many other wierd colours around?...why do you ppl prefer piercings when they are definitely painful?...does that mean u enjoy the pain?...
The only time a piercing is painful is when one first receives it. After that, there is no pain. A piercing is something one has to take care of, so if it is done wrong or is not taken care of properly, there could be pain. Generally, people who get piercings did not receive them for the pain. They got the piercing for aesthetic reasons. There are people who do like pain, they are called sado-masichists. The Goth world does not necessarily have to do with that fetish or kink. There are a few within it that do like it, however.

Regarding ideologies, As you can see form looking around this site, there are people of nearly every ideology who also happen to identify as goth, or who like goth. So "Goth" seems to be pluralistic. It is not within it's self a singular ideology. The idea of Goth is flexible, open to be adopted to the uniqueness of each individual who is inspired by it.

By the way, I find your use of "you people" to be a bit odd.

Cheers;...
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #33
Vako

This is what they are referring to;

Quote:
lucretia...don't mind my asking but exactly where have i made any grammatical mistakes?...could u please point them out to me?....may be i can rectify my mistakes...i really don't think there are any grammatical mistakes as such excepting some spelling mistakes or typos as u may call it...
Old 05-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #34
KontanKarite

YOU PEOPLE?! WHAT DO YOU MEAN ABOUT... "You people"?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #35
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Anyway, I've developed an interest in gothic culture mainly due to some incidents that took place in my life a few days ago.

Thanks again..
Oh ho, wait just a dammed minute: you are not getting off that easy.
We answered your questions, now explain to us what "incidents" happened to you that sparked your interest our way?
O_o

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #36
Vako

I done got mah massa's cotton gin all deep wi'din it. Massah came up and said "I swear, one of these days, you people is gonna drive me and the miss' the the po' house."
Old 05-18-2007, 10:22 PM   #37
prophecyofdoom

Goth is about literature and fashion as well as about music. Many of us were enamored of the gothic people before they ever heard gothic music. Some people are only a little bit gothic. Some people are only gothic on the inside. Perhaps the only definition we can all agree on is that a goth is someone who sees the beauty in dark things.

Help us to be the always hopeful
Gardeners of the spirit
Who know that without darkness
Nothing comes to birth
As without light
Nothing flowers
-May Sarton
prophecyofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #38
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecyofdoom
goth is someone who sees the beauty in dark things.
I see fun in dark things. I see beauty in bright ones. A summer night will never be as beautiful as Autumn's sunset.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 PM   #39
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I see fun in dark things.
Granted, though the point is an acceptance toward things dark, grotesque, or shunned by the mainstream. I could defianetly get into some things that we goths (or anyone here) are interested in that are considerably dark, but it'd be way too obvious by you guys

Goth Forever