Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
LillithDuskcutter

Baby Bat has arrived!

Hello all! My name is Lillith Duskcutter (Not my real name, ofcourse, but if you want that you'd have to do some guessing work)I've only been a Goth for about a year now, hence the topic title. I'm not all that "Grungy" as non-goths would say. I like a little bit of everything, including some pop bands (I kid you not. I like pop) So I guess you'd say that I was a preppy goth. I'm also a Wiccan (I've been a Wiccan for five years, so it's not just something that came along with the Goth thing).
I live in Bonny Scotland and I havn't met any real Goths yet, allthought I'd like to (The Goths in my town are pretty scary people and I'm scared that they may shun the Baby Bat because of her prepiness). I sing, I act and I write. Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask me.
LillithDuskcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
Solumina

Welcome to the boards. Don't worry about being "too preppy" or not goth enough, just be yourself and hope they like you.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #3
LillithDuskcutter

Thanks! They're the "Real" goths in my town, and they're blinking scary as Hell.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
Solumina

hehehe they may seem scary but they are still only people
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-25-2008, 02:26 AM   #5
LillithDuskcutter

Yeah, I just wish they'd stop giving me weird looks. It's almost as if I'm too bright for them.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
Lex

Why don't you just go and talk to them?

And welcome to the boards.
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
LillithDuskcutter

*mumbles* Because I'm really shy for someone who's really bouncy.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 AM   #8
Solumina

Well you do have the advantage of being new to the scene so you can aways just ask if they can recommend any good music ^.^
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 AM   #9
L'Oiseau Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Well you do have the advantage of being new to the scene so you can aways just ask if they can recommend any good music ^.^

No, don't listen to Solumina! She doesn't know what she's talking about!

You're supposed to go up to them, put on your hardest face, and say: "You've got five seconds to become my friend, or I'll dump mud on your boots and pour water on your head."

They'll be so concerned about their boots staying clean, their hair staying big, wild, and Robert Smithy, and their make-up (which took them hours to put on) running, they'll forget their contempt for you and welcome you with open arms.

Then you can criticize each others tastes, argue whether Aestheticism or Hedonism was the overall theme of The Portrait of Dorian Gray, and write really bad, pseudo-victorian poetry whilst sitting in the shade of a weeping willow in your local cemetery and ruminating on the dark side of life.

And all will be right in your life.

Oh, right, to make this relevant. Welcome to the boards! And did I mention we have the same birthday, Lillith? That's weird.

"I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its claws." - Charles Baudelaire

L'Oiseau Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:25 AM   #10
LillithDuskcutter

Lol.
Nah. I'd rather not be kicked senseless by them. I've seen them fight. They're quite vicious.
I think I'll just have to be a bit more, how would my Gran say it? Oh yeah, assertive when it comes to talking to them.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Ishan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillithDuskcutter
Hello all! My name is Lillith Duskcutter (Not my real name, ofcourse, but if you want that you'd have to do some guessing work)I've only been a Goth for about a year now, hence the topic title. I'm not all that "Grungy" as non-goths would say. I like a little bit of everything, including some pop bands (I kid you not. I like pop) So I guess you'd say that I was a preppy goth. I'm also a Wiccan (I've been a Wiccan for five years, so it's not just something that came along with the Goth thing).
I live in Bonny Scotland and I havn't met any real Goths yet, allthought I'd like to (The Goths in my town are pretty scary people and I'm scared that they may shun the Baby Bat because of her prepiness). I sing, I act and I write. Anything else you want to know, feel free to ask me.
Welcome ... always nice to meet a fellow Pagan - I grew up with it. What part of Scotland do you call home? Always wanted to go there.
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #12
LillithDuskcutter

I live in Fife, near St. Andrews.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
Cicero

Ooh, St Andrews - I've been thinking of doing a university exchange there. Lovely place, Scotland.

Anyway welcome. It's all good to like pop, but I've got to ask out of curiosity... what goth music do you listen to? I like recommending stuff >_>

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
LillithDuskcutter

Well, iTunes classed this band "El Vira" as Gothic Rock. But they sound more like Electronic/instrumental.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Welcome
But I must say you should confront those local Goths, if they're the real deal then they might not be as bad as you may think. Who knows what the reasoning behind their looks are, Maybe they're intentional, maybe they're unintentional, maybe they have no idea the effect they have, anything is possible. I myself have know idea the effect my body language and eyes have on people half the time if not more. But it can't hurt to go check it out.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #16
Stormtrooper of Death

Oi! Welcome to the boards, don't worry about not knowing the music yet, I still don't, but that's mainly because I'm this board's resident punker. If you need 80's underground HC punk or punk, talk to me.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
††BlackRose††

Quote:
*mumbles* Because I'm really shy for someone who's really bouncy.
Lol, same here. The people I know sometimes think I'm on drugs or something but I'm also really shy.

Welcome to the boards and don't worry too much about people, they are just people in the end.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
(heartofflames)

Quote:
Scotland seems sooo cool. I really want to go sometime. And about the local goths thing, just be grateful that you HAVE goths over there and go confront them. If they're not insane, they'll welcome you as new to the scene and not beat the crap out of you.
oh, and welcome to the boards. If you have time, try filling out the questionnaire. http://gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1644

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #19
Cicero

Quote:
Well, iTunes classed this band "El Vira" as Gothic Rock. But they sound more like Electronic/instrumental.
So that would be... none? Well I'll start out by saying gothic rock is basically the pinnacle of all things goth, so here are some bands you should check out:
The Cure
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Sex Gang Children
Specimen
Alien Sex Fiend

Those are all classics. Go through their myspace friends lists for even more bands. Goth and all its subgenres stretch a bloody long way - you'll never be starved of new sounds.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #20
LillithDuskcutter

What would you class Emilie Autumn as?
I have her on my iPod. I also have Funeral For A Friend and Atreyu.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #21
Bete Noire

Emilie Autumn is sort of synth-pop or darkwave I guess.

FFAF is bad post-hardcore/metalcore type stuff.

Atreyu is similar to FFAF with possibly more emphasis on the metalcore.

Click Haunted's links. All of them are goth rock bands.
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #22
Ishan

Quote:
I live in Fife, near St. Andrews.
Super! We'll hold rituals in the evening and golf in the early morrow! I love it.

LOL - I'm being a smart-ass; but welcome. I look forward to your writing posts, that way we know how much surface effervescence is used to cover the darker side of your spirit! Ooooh & Aaaah!

TTYL
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #23
Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
Click Haunted's links. All of them are goth rock bands.
Who's links? >_>

Though yes, goth rock indeed.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Bete Noire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
Who's links? >_>

Though yes, goth rock indeed.
Sorry.:S

All you deathrockers looks the same :P

*goes to hell for subculturist slander*
Bete Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #25
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire
Emilie Autumn is sort of synth-pop or darkwave I guess.
I do believe Emilie Autumn classifies her music as "victorian-industrial" or "violindustrial", though the Projekt site has her under their Gothic/Darkwave section. Her music has a variety of influences from industrial to dream-pop to neoclassical, but firmly fits under the umbrella (or parasol as it may be) of Darkwave. She also had different eras of her music. Her early works, like her album Enchant, was much more light and airy and she used the term 'faerie' to describe a lot of it. Her later albums have been more aggressive and more industrial influenced, though I'd say that Opheliac tries to hint more at the Victorian/Neoclassical (use of violin and harpsichord extensively) more so than A Bit O' This and That, even though it does appear in there.

If you like Miss Autumn, I'd recommend The Birthday Massacre, Sopor Aeternus (lots of pagan imagery you might appreciate) and Hannah Fury. You might even like the more cabaret-influenced Jill Tracy and The Dresden Dolls.

Have fun and welcome!

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote