Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-24-2008, 05:04 AM   #51
jack_the_knife

I am for the legalization of pot. But I don't believe pot is worse than beer. I'm a heavy drinker and I can say that I prefer the effect of alcohol over that of weed, and it tastes better .
jack_the_knife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #52
Albert Mond

I don't have an enormous problem with legalizing it, and I think it should be legalized as a medicinal drug.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #53
Agent17

Some political factions are looking to legalize it, as it could be a valuable entity in today economy. I wouldn't be surprised if it is legalized in the next 10 years, if not sooner.

Hell, almost everyone wants it legalized anyway, pot-heads and non-potheads alike.

The democrats have considered legalizing it, the Green party wants it legalized, while the Libertarians are fighting for legalization. And unsurprisingly the United States Marijuana Party is doing all it can to ending the marijuana prohibition.
Agent17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 PM   #54
Jonathan

There's actually a vote coming up in the People's Republic of Massachusetts to decriminalize possession of less than one ounce.

I plan on supporting it. Whether someone chooses to use it or not is one thing, there is no valid reason for it to be prohibited in my opinion.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #55
~~Auriel~~

I skipped over some of this thread so forgive me if this has already been posted.

I think the problem with legalizing marijuana is that the government would obviously want to regulate and tax it. They have this control with tobacco because tobacco is far more difficult to grow than marijuana. Reefer can be grown in your basement, where tobacco plants requires far more care and space.
There is also the aspect that marijuana is considered a "gateway drug." Sooner or later someone who uses marijuana exclusively is going to branch out into other more habit forming drugs.
Don't get me wrong I am actually for the legalization of it. I don't currently use it, and don't really have the desire to. I think we have the technology now to genetically engineer marijuana plants for people to use, and use without nearly as many carcinogens that are in pot. We also have the ability to pump up the THC levels in each plant. I think that the legislature that would have to go along with that would be very strict, zero tolerance, if caught growing your own.
Bringing it in as an industry would actually provide a lot of jobs. Think of how many people could get jobs at greenhouses where these special plants are grown, and how many people could be hired to make sure that no seeds are distributed to further prevent home growing.
Overall, I think it's a great idea, but it's the conservatives on Capitol Hill that have to be persuaded. Maybe if they were offered a cut in the profits they would be all right with it! LOL!
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 AM   #56
CptSternn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
I think the problem with legalizing marijuana is that the government would obviously want to regulate and tax it. They have this control with tobacco because tobacco is far more difficult to grow than marijuana. Reefer can be grown in your basement, where tobacco plants requires far more care and space.
How exactly is taxation a problem? They tax alcohol and you can make that at home, hell, they sell home brewing kits at Wal-mart these days.

Quote:
There is also the aspect that marijuana is considered a "gateway drug." Sooner or later someone who uses marijuana exclusively is going to branch out into other more habit forming drugs.
'Considered' is the operative word here. Thats a myth perpetrated by the right-wing 'imprison everyone' crowd that has been proved time and time again not to be true. All you have to do is look at Amsterdam. They have less junkies than most American cities and you can buy all the pot you want there.

Quote:
I think that the legislature that would have to go along with that would be very strict, zero tolerance, if caught growing your own.
Why? Because making your own alcohol is any less safe? You do know it is legal to grow up to two ounces in Alaska don't you?

Quote:
...how many people could be hired to make sure that no seeds are distributed to further prevent home growing.
Again, this idea is daft. You can legally buy seeds from Amsterdam on dozens of websites and have them shipped right now to America.

Quote:
Overall, I think it's a great idea, but it's the conservatives on Capitol Hill that have to be persuaded. Maybe if they were offered a cut in the profits they would be all right with it! LOL!
Not as long as the tobacco lobby is in Washington. Brush up on the first part of this thread, and the other identical one linked a few pages back. The biggest opponents of legalisation are the tobacco and alcohol industries who spend hundreds of millions each year fighting legalisation.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #57
Beneath the Shadows

Okay, what would happen if marijuana gets legalized? Let's see...

First of all, there would be restrictive laws. Marijuana alters the mind, much like alcohol alters the mind, so there would be restrictions on age and on usage of vehicles/heavy machinery. Sound safety precautions, I'd say.

Secondly, there'll be taxes. If we were to go to the store and buy some weed, the price we pay would not be at cost, or even with a profit margin. It would be the profit margin, plus state/local taxes, plus federal taxes.

Additionally, state/local governments will more than likely require marijuana sales licenses. Which means that the stores will increase the price just a bit more to cover their losses for those.

That, so far, seems bad, from the taxpayer's point of view. Who wants to pay new taxes?

For the good side, however...

Legalization of marijuana means new businesses. If weed is legal, people will sooner or later start opening pot-specific smoke shops and (even better) pot bars, similar to the cafes in Amsterdam. New businesses means not only a boost for the economy, but also more jobs. (Which also means additional state/local and federal taxes, but without an increase.)

It also means that there'll be a lot less people in jail. A large percentage of people in jail are in for marijuana-related charges... charges that would be eliminated if weed were legal. Which means that the court system and jails can be used for actual serious offenders. (What would you rather have in jail... a guy with weed, or a violent offender?)

Additionally, smuggling will decrease. If marijuana is legal, marijuana smugglers will be out of a job. Some may try to switch to other contraband (other drugs, or weapons, etc.), but more than likely they'll be cutting into someone else's business, which means that they'll be eliminated.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #58
Opteron_Man

I ask again, has anybody here read "The Emperor Wears No Clothes"?
HumanePain and Gothicus, have you read this book? Both of you are rather sharp minded. What say you?
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #59
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
How exactly is taxation a problem? They tax alcohol and you can make that at home, hell, they sell home brewing kits at Wal-mart these days.
'Considered' is the operative word here. Thats a myth perpetrated by the right-wing 'imprison everyone' crowd that has been proved time and time again not to be true. All you have to do is look at Amsterdam. They have less junkies than most American cities and you can buy all the pot you want there.
Why? Because making your own alcohol is any less safe? You do know it is legal to grow up to two ounces in Alaska don't you?
Again, this idea is daft. You can legally buy seeds from Amsterdam on dozens of websites and have them shipped right now to America.
Not as long as the tobacco lobby is in Washington. Brush up on the first part of this thread, and the other identical one linked a few pages back. The biggest opponents of legalisation are the tobacco and alcohol industries who spend hundreds of millions each year fighting legalisation.
I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say. I did specify "genetically engineered seeds." Not whatever you can buy on the internet. Furthermore, if growing at home were legal, again there would have to be legislation regulating it, much like there is in Alaska. Also, as Beneath the Shadows said, a license would have to be required, variably to grow, to grow and distribute, or simply to distribute (in this case the pumped up version that would give the government or extremely regulated corporations the edge on the market). Even if you can brew alcohol, how many of us here in the states actually do it? I think it is far more likely that people would grow marijuana than brew their own beer. You don't need a brewing kit to grow pot. Just some dirt and a planter.

I do agree with you that the "considered a gateway drug" is right wing crap. Junkies on the otherhand are far different than potheads. I don't think that you can consider the two one and the same.
Additionally, of course the tobacco and alcohol industries are against it. It would bring them additional competition to what is know strictly their market. That last part was a joke, hence the "LOL!"
Old 10-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #60
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
Also, as Beneath the Shadows said, a license would have to be required, variably to grow, to grow and distribute, or simply to distribute (in this case the pumped up version that would give the government or extremely regulated corporations the edge on the market).
I only said a sales license would be required. I suppose a distribution license also makes sense, but there'd be no need for a grower's license. I don't need a license to brew my own beer, so why would I need a license to grow my own weed? If I grew my own weed, I'd probably do the same with it as I do with the beer I brew... keep it for my own personal consumption and to share with my friends.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #61
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneath the Shadows
I only said a sales license would be required. I suppose a distribution license also makes sense, but there'd be no need for a grower's license. I don't need a license to brew my own beer, so why would I need a license to grow my own weed? If I grew my own weed, I'd probably do the same with it as I do with the beer I brew... keep it for my own personal consumption and to share with my friends.
Sorry Shadows, I didn't mean to put words in your mouth!