Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-30-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
Ms.Crowbar

Patriotism Or Terrorism.

The reason for me starting this thread is because just recently, I heard some English Ass-wipe call William Wallace a Terrorist. He obviously has no respect for the dead.
The reason why I got so pissed off is because, firstly, Wallace is a Hero here in Scotland and secondly, he did what he did because he was sick to the bone of being controlled by that wimp of an Englishman, Edward Longshanks.
Wallace fought back because he was sick of the way Longshanks ordered so many things that would turn Scotland into an English community.
Longshanks ordered Prima Nocta to make sure that the Scots were outbred by English blood. He also threatened to kill anyone who spoke in Gaelic.
Wallace fought for freedom, he fought for change, and was willing to die for freedom. Sure he killed lots if innocent soldiers, but it wasn't unprovoked.
But while I was thinking about this, I realised, doesn't that make me a bit hypocritical when I say that I think we shoudl stay in Iraq?
Maybe that's where we went wrong. We invaded their country and are trying to change their beliefs and veiws on life. Maybe they don't want to change. Maybe the reason why they're attacking us Brits and the Americans is because our soldiers have killed many innocent people in their country.
Now, I can't find a site unbiased enough to say that the attack on 9/11 was a provoked response to something that America did, but I do know that Iraq probably wouldn't attack unless it was for a very good reason or in self-defence.
So, is it Patriotism or Terrorism that's gripping the World in fear?
Give reasons for your views.
Ms.Crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Wednesday Friday Addams

Terrorism is to target civilians to cause terror and force people to do things you would want them to do.Its a common tactic.
Take ww2 for example.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
JCC

Sure William Wallace was a terrorist: so? Justifiable. Terrorism is as broad as every other subject, it's about context, aim and method.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
Albert Mond

You want them to stay in Iraq? That's just plain stupid. Plus, 9/11 had nothing to do with Iraq. It's not even IRAQ they're fighting. It's AL QAEDA. Al Qaeda is an underground radical Islamic movement. The difference between Al Qaeda and a military is that a military is generally controlled by a single nation and is thusly limited by borders and the leader's willingness to kill off his people. Al Qaeda is worldwide. There are members from sea to shining sea which is the reason that the Iraq War is so incredibly pointless. It's not that they're fighting for what they believe in. The things is, these people want to convert everybody else to radical Islam, and have every nation under Islamic rule. William Wallace was a freedom fighter. Al Qaeda is fighting for oppression.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
JCC

Nobody is fighting Al Qaeda.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
~~Auriel~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Nobody is fighting Al Qaeda.
That's the problem...After 9/11 the American people and government were out to slight the throats of any Al-Qaeda operative. Then all of the sudden we pop up in Iraq and Monkey Boy..er..I mean Bush is like, "We need to get Saddam."
As stupid as people tend to be in masses, I found it incredible that no one seemed to notice. I felt alone it was terrible, lol. And the Race to Baghdad? C'est terrible.
America needs to stop trying to be the police of the free world. We didn't even bother to stop and ask the Iraqis if they would prefer a democracy. We just charged in there and forced it on them. Some societies function better under a dictatorship, as unfortunate as it may be.
My prediction: 3-5 years after troops are completely gone and the democracy will fall and Iraq will go back to the way it was formerly governed.

And to stay on subject, it's definitely terrorism. The reason I believe this is because it is like a power struggle between terrorists and government. (The recent skinheads in the news are no different than terrorists). Control people with fear and they will do what you tell them to. This goes for both terrorists and government alike.
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Auriel~~
That's the problem...After 9/11 the American people and government were out to slight the throats of any Al-Qaeda operative. Then all of the sudden we pop up in Iraq and Monkey Boy..er..I mean Bush is like, "We need to get Saddam."
As stupid as people tend to be in masses, I found it incredible that no one seemed to notice. I felt alone it was terrible, lol. And the Race to Baghdad? C'est terrible.
America needs to stop trying to be the police of the free world. We didn't even bother to stop and ask the Iraqis if they would prefer a democracy. We just charged in there and forced it on them. Some societies function better under a dictatorship, as unfortunate as it may be.
My prediction: 3-5 years after troops are completely gone and the democracy will fall and Iraq will go back to the way it was formerly governed.

And to stay on subject, it's definitely terrorism. The reason I believe this is because it is like a power struggle between terrorists and government. (The recent skinheads in the news are no different than terrorists). Control people with fear and they will do what you tell them to. This goes for both terrorists and government alike.
It's not just that they aren't fighting Al Qaeda. It's also that Al Qaeda's impossible to fight. The war in Afghanistan's still going on, but it has no effect whatsoever save pissing them off. And in Iraq, most Al Qaeda terrorists who do attacks personally are dead by the time they've killed some 20 or more others (suicide bombing).
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Drake Dun

They attacked our freedom. We're fighting them over there so we don't have to fight them over here. We can't wait for the final proof, which could take the form of a mushroom cloud. We are opposed by an axis of evil. Browse the Internet 25% faster than before. Contains zero saturated fat. Don't wait, give your heart to Jesus now. Tear down this wall. Stupid is as stupid does. Ceasar, ranch, or liberal bias. Deny truth of nature's simultaneous 24 hour time cube. Handle loss over gnant whirpool sticky green. Isn't even close to at least 17. 1438 + 3 = 1C!.,du&w43FVdlka#E23f.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
~~Auriel~~

This discussion brings a picture to mind, I thought I would just throw it in for some irony and food for thought.

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q...big_735621.jpg
~~Auriel~~ is offline   Reply With Quote