Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
Jaye Jang

In Memory of a Heroine

I started typing for this lady many years ago. Over the years she became one of my heroes. I remember when her voice was strong and vibrant over the dictation system and how gradually, over time, she could barely talk above a whisper. I met her once. She didn't recognize me, of course, because I was just one of many medical typists she had met over the years, but she had a profound effect on me because in person she was always strong and vibrant, even up to the last. She will be greatly missed, as will so many of her sisters -- and brothers.

In Memory

Brenda Williams, MD

OB/GYN, Boise

Dr. Brenda Williams passed away November 10, following a prolonged battle against cancer. Dr. Williams joined ____________ medical staff in 1993 and was an active member of the OB/GYN Department until the time of her death. She also served on the ____________ Hospital Ethics Committee (2001-2003), was involved with various ad hoc committees, and most recently was a member of the OB/GYN Peer Review Subcommittee (2007-2009).

Dr. Williams was recognized by many of her peers as an outstanding, caring clinician who truly succeeded in making other people’s lives better. She will be long remembered for her many valuable contributions to patients, staff and women’s health care.

“I’ve had a very blessed life. … I have good kids, a nice husband. If I had my health, I’d be great. That’s been the tough part,” said Brenda Williams, whose breast cancer diagnosis was a catalyst to passionately raise money toward finding a cure — one that would be too late for her. This is the image from an Expedition Inspiration fundraising invitation stamp.

Heart of the Treasure Valley: Understanding the circle of life

By Katherine Jones, Idaho Statesman, 11-15-09

Brenda Williams had breast cancer, but she didn't let that stop her from making a difference.

Brenda Williams died quietly in her home Tuesday evening. She spoke with Katherine with the understanding that the article might not be published before her death. Her friends and family also asked that this story, based on an Oct. 15 interview, still run.

For a fundraiser this year, Brenda Williams' friends got an idea. When the invitations went in the mail, each one featured a personalized postage stamp: a photo of Brenda standing very proud – and very bald.

Scrawled across the envelope in hard-to-miss, very bold type, were the words: "Being bald is not a crime. Not finding a cure is."

If there's an aggressive nuance to the words, there also is an urgency to her fundraising: Brenda has breast cancer and, for her, the cure will come too late. That is, simply put, all the more reason for her to work harder.

She says: "None of us are going to take our earthly possessions with us. If you can share what you have, I think that's what you should do."

Medically, there is little more that Brenda can do. After her initial diagnosis 15 years ago, the cancer has returned. In the past five years, cancer has spread into too many organs throughout her body. But as far as living goes – there's much left to do.

"We all tend to gravitate toward what affects us. That's what drives us – the fact that something has happened to someone you love or your family or your children – that's what drives you to try and make a difference."

Brenda thought she had been cured. When the cancer returned, "It felt like my world ended," she said.

But her world hadn't. Instead, she and a circle of her friends turned into a dynamic volunteer force to be reckoned with. Together, they organized the first and four subsequent Survivor Celebration Dinners for Boise's Susan G. Komen for the Cure. They raised tens of thousands of dollars each year.

"I feel like I've been blessed and need to give back to the community. If somebody's willing to ask, I'm willing to donate. I just think it's the right way to live."

Last year, the circle of friends threw their energy into the first fundraising dinner for Expedition Inspiration and raised more than $50,000 for breast cancer research, including $16,000 for a research scholarship named in Brenda's honor.

"People want to help. It's the most amazing thing. I've bought every Girl Scout cookie that crossed my path. People reciprocate. If you're generous and give of yourself, they'll do the same for you."

Brenda was honored at that dinner (on Oct. 8) for her work: She has personally contributed more than $250,000 in cash and in-kind support for breast cancer research and awareness.

"Unfortunately, that's what it takes for research – it's just a drop in the bucket. But it's also a big drop."

Brenda speaks in a whisper, all that's left of her voice after rounds of radiation. She hopes that her hair, which has fallen out three times, will start to grow back after the latest – and likely the last – round of chemotherapy.

"You just have to accept the fact that some things you cannot change, like the prayer - God, give me the serenity to accept things (I cannot change), change the things I can, and to know the difference between the two.

"I can't change (the cancer). I've tried chemo and radiation and it's just not changing. That's my cue that it's time to stop."

Brenda has lost 25 pounds. Even though the tumors keep her in pain, the medical protocol has shifted from eradicating the tumors to stabilizing them.

"I'm not ready to be done with life yet. I say that, but I'm not ready to do toxic chemo again. I'm just at peace at this time."

Brenda is an obstetrician/gynecologist, and she speaks about her work with a spark in her eye. (She has not been able to practice recently). Her work has touched countless lives, and given her "the millions of hugs" that she credits with healing power. Birthing babies also has given her a certain perspective on her own death.

"The world will go on without me. That's the beauty of delivering all those babies: You know the circle of life.”

"The day before I had my surgery, I delivered a C-section baby. I thought: You know, here's my replacement. If we all lived forever, the world would be a very crowded place."

Even as Brenda prepares to let go, she still holds tight to life. "I'm only 55," she says in one breath. And in another: "I'm grateful to have lived as long as I've lived."

"Life is not fair. ... Bad things happen to good people. You just have to move on. I never dwell on (the question why); I can't change it. You can't un-ring a bell. You just keep going. The bell's ringing; you just figure out what you can do with it."

In the meantime, there's next year's fundraiser to organize. That work will resume in January with – or without – her.

Obituary

From the Idaho Statesman, 11-15-09

Dr. Brenda Martin Williams passed away Tuesday, November 10, 2009 from breast cancer.

I know this will be a difficult time for my family and I have chosen to write this obituary. I was born Jan. 14, 1954 in Rupert, Idaho, the second child of Leonard and Betty Martin. I attended Minico High School and graduated in 1972. I then attended the University of Idaho where I received a degree in Business Finance in 1975. I married Mitch Williams in May 1975 and we just celebrated 34 years together. After our oldest son Patrick was born I felt like I needed a different career path and returned to medical school at the University of Washington. I graduated in 1987 and our second son, Colin [was born] in December of 1987. I have been blessed to have two great sons and a wonderful husband. I was in practice in Boise for 17 years and saw my practice grow from one doctor to six doctors and appreciate the fact that I was in practice with truly excellent partners and doctors.

I am survived by my husband and sons – Mitch, Pat, and Colin – my parents Leonard and Betty Martin of Paul, brothers Doug (Lebbie) and Randee (Connie) both of Paul, and my sister and good friend Melody Wysong (Earl) of Rupert.

I have had wonderful care the last 15 years at MSTI. Thank Dr. Paul Montgomery, Dr. Ron Dorn, and all of the chemo nurses. I also want to thank my partner, Dr. Jackie Maybach, for her help in this process.

In lieu of flowers I would prefer contributions to Expedition Inspiration of Ketchum to aid in breast cancer research. Send to PO Box 4289, Ketchum, Idaho, 83340; or to the Mini-Cassia Christian Education Association, 750 W. 71 N., Paul, Idaho.

Services will be held at 4pm on Saturday, November 21, at Cathedral of the Rockies, ;717 N. 11th St., Boise, Idaho under the direction of Alden-Waggoner Funeral Chapel. Rev. Neal Collins of Immanuel Lutheran Church will officiate the service. A second service will be held at Trinity Lutheran Church in Rupert.

I have had a blessed life and wish it had been longer, but am grateful for the life I have had and as a Christian I have no fear of death and look forward to the life everlasting.

Posted November 17, 2009.

Rest In Peace Dr. Williams. You will be greatly missed.
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote