Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Corpsey

Sir Edmund Hillary, 1919 - 2008

I am feeling completely guttered at the moment, as I have just discovered that the icon of my country has recently deceased.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...LKo&refer=asia

Seriously, this guy was like a Titan. He was indestructible and such a hugely morally strong man...and now he's gone.

He was known for being the first man to ever climb to the top of the world with his companion, Sherpa Tenzing, but most notably, for the fact that after he acquired his fame, he did not dally and waste away in his fame or rot away in money, he built hospitals, schools, bridges and many other sorts of things to help the Nepalese and Himalayian communities become connected. He was so humble and was considered the Iconic Kiwi to which everyone looked up to.

Whatever you hear or think about this man or however trivial you might think he achieved, he still deeply deserves to be remembered.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Green.Lady

I saw that on the news. He had an amazing life. RIP
Deliver me a paper
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:46 AM   #3
MollyMac

He also had a fantastic brand of tents... but hell yeah, hell yeah.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
Delkaetre

It's been all over the news here in the UK. Lots of people saying glowing things about him. It's a pity to have lost him, but in his life he did more than most people could ever dream of- he helped hundreds of people. At least he didn't waste his talents and fame.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Dark Clarissa

He was a living legend. I was so sad when I heard of his death. But everyone has had nothing but wonderful things to say about the amazing things that he achieved for other people. When I hear of people like that, I feel very humble.
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
spoon!

Definitely up there when people should think of "hero".

RIP kind sir.
spoon! is offline   Reply With Quote