Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
DancesWithPeacocks

Question Is it human nature?

I'm not sure if this belongs in the Whine and cheese board or not.
It seems to me, wherever one goes, weather it be an education establishment, a job, or a simple forum, you always and unavoidably find two types of person.

The first is the "In" crowd, the clique of people who have grown comfortable with whatever establishment or group they are part of. The kind of people who have been there for so long, they are practically part of the decor. The kind, that can almost be frightened by new arrivals, who may feel that their position is threatened by it. The kind, that eventually come to believe they hold the patents on said group or establishment. Examples of these, from my own experiences, would be the groups of supervisors in jobs such as markets, shops, restaurants, etc. The popular crowds in school. The opinionated windbags of most popular forums (and parliaments).

The second group, is a bit harder to label. These are the layabouts that have nothing better to do than to poke and prod, and find things to complain about. These are the kind of people that, for whatever reason, feel insecure in most of life's ventures, who's only means of assuring their position and self-worth is to find something to attack, something they can rank below themselves. These are the forum trolls, the workplace shit-disturbers, the politically correct gestapo, and to a less serious degree, the grammar police.

Even though both groups are at extremes, they have a few things in common : over-assertiveness, the inability or unwillingness to leave ordinary people alone (annoyance), and the undying will to have others see things from their point of view (righteousness).

So, is it human nature, or human fallacy, that we will always encounter both types wherever we go? Whatever happened to "Live and let live" ? Where does it leave the rest of us who don't always feel the need to be part of, or create, conflicts?

BTW, I'm quite aware of the irony of complaining about complainers, so no need to point that out
DancesWithPeacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
jacquelinetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithPeacocks
Where does it leave the rest of us who don't always feel the need to be part of, or create, conflicts?
It leaves us in the third group. ;}

"Don't point the finger at me
I am only a rat in a maze like you
And only the dead go free"
-- Roger Waters
4:41AM (Sexual Revolution)
The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking
jacquelinetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
BlackDahlia

Yes. Probably. Some places more than others. Which is why I could never work in an office environment without shooting the back of people's heads with rubber bands.
BlackDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Mir

Yet there are also people, who form the fourth group.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
DancesWithPeacocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDahlia
Yes. Probably. Some places more than others. Which is why I could never work in an office environment without shooting the back of people's heads with rubber bands.
I had a pretty okay job last year until they promoted me in the summer, put me in charge of a bunch of little pukes that wouldn't do a single thing I asked, but came to me with all their petty problems and conflicts...So I know what you mean, there are many occasions where I wanted to hit them in the back of the head with a maglite.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

It is indeed human nature; especially the part of the undying will to have others see things from their point of view.
A perfect example is myself.
I will always try to persuade people to look at things from my perspective. If it were up to me, I'd change the whole world's standards to fit my own. And I have no shame in admitting it. In fact, I'm proud of such a bold ideal.
Nevertheless, while most people will chauvinistically shove their points of view down your throat expecting you to swallow them, I will prepare it and dress it with fine condiments such as facts and logic for you so that not only would you accept it, but enjoy it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Clockwork

Yes, you will always find those people. They're like a part of the ecosystem that really shouldn't be, like mosquitoes or poodles. You can't get rid of them, really... oh well.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Johnny Gnar Gnar

I have to agree with Jillian. It is human nature. I think that I used this same idea in a different post, but it's something I firmly believe in. We all have egos. We all like to feed the ego, and that can create problems when some people (such as the know it all co-worker) go overboard and overstep their boundaries. For some people, being right is so important that they really don't take in the other person's side. Gotta feed the ego.
Johnny Gnar Gnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
DancesWithPeacocks

Those people do drive me nuts though. I don't go to work to debate the merits of X and Y, i just go there to earn the paycheck that pays the rent. People don't seem to get that though.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Oh trust me, they drive me nuts too. I work in a pretty specialized, high risk shop, where people rely on the fact that what we tell them and what we sell them is safe. When the little morons that know nothing decide to overstep their bounds and spout off their mouths, things can turn really ugly.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 PM   #11
ArtificialOne

That's why I just want to replace people with robots. No people, no problems..lol

As if you didn't see this one coming....lmao ;P

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
Johnny Gnar Gnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialOne
That's why I just want to replace people with robots. No people, no problems..lol

As if you didn't see this one coming....lmao ;P

Never! *rolling eyes and stuff* hehehe
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
DancesWithPeacocks

I would replace people with plants. I would always offer my roommate to water her and turn her toward the light, although, she didn't find that funny for some reason...