Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

View Poll Results: Is the future of your music scene going for the better or for the worse
better 24 32.43%
worse 32 43.24%
I dont think its changing 18 24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #76
OCD Insomnia

I have never seen worse scene than Dunsmuir, California. Any music that does exist there sounds like a train wreck and daytime T.V. all put together. That is, if there is any live music.(wich is yet to happen.)
OCD Insomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:15 PM   #77
halo

Seattle scene -Faith & Disease

I don't think Steve leaving F&D was that dramatic, they released 3 much better CD's like beneath the trees ! since he left after Insularia, and signed with projekt. it's all about dara rosenwasser and eric cooley anyway. did you know eric played with jesse sykes for a show? and jesse played with F&D for a show? that shows how diverse the band and its members are. dara's like a world-class photographer now too. halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
It's weird here in Seattle. The music scene, as a whole, is getting better. However, it's really sad to say this, but the goth scene here is EXTREMELY derivitive of almost every fourth-rate Bauhaus/Sisters knock-off you can think of. I really want to like a lot of these bands, since they're nice people and all. But ever since Steve Knouse parted ways with Faith And Disease, it seems like the scene as a whole got stuck in this creative rut where they're replaying 1992 in their heads over and over again.

It gets even worse when you add in the whole "scene" mentality people have. That's where you start grouping up into pre-designated neo-tribes, and don't allow any outside influences to come in and "mess up the scene". What this translates to, as far as the goth scene is concerned, is that creative rut thing I mentioned in the previous paragraph. No new bands are really allowed to develop their own voice (for lack of a better term). If they want shows, they have to sound EXACTLY the way (insert famous goth band here) sounds like. Otherwise, no shows, no audience, and after a while with neither, break-up from inactivity.

Now, I'm no member of the white-belt-brigade, but I do have a lot of respect for that scene, as far as Seattle is concerned. Here's a "scene" that does allow for it's member musicians to develop their own identity, and still give them respect and support. I mean, you can't really say that Modest Mouse, Pretty Girls Make Graves, The Spits, The Girls, The Briefs, the Murder City Devils, the Rapture (yeah, they lived in Seattle for a spell, so I CAN toss them in), the Blood Brothers, IQU, the Warm Jets, or FCS North sound either alike or derivitave. Yet they're part of the "hipster" scene.

And as far as music scenes in Seattle are concerned, the "hipster" scene is by no means the only real game in town. Nor is really the most active or expansive. So it's always odd for me to go to the Mercury or the Vogue and hear the same stuff I'd been hearing almost 10 years ago.

Am I being odd about this?
halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:52 AM   #78
DAAS

eh the music sceen around here is goign beter then it use to theres a lot more industrial and EBM bands poping up here and there pritty damn good if i do say so like ones called dragoon and there pritty cool i like there sound its like EBM and gothic orcestra combind i like how it sounds and then theres a band called the velvet acid christ knights and ther elike VAC but a little bit not as hard
DAAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:24 AM   #79
end.of.eternity

I don't really know. That's why I put the "I dont think its changing" option.

I've heard of many good newbie goth bands. Yet I probably like 90's music the most.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #80
halo

oh? I have yet to hear of a single new goth band that isn't Industrial or electronic. Some gamer guy wanking with his music software. If there are any good goth BANDS out there..that means real people playing real instruments, then PLEASE share. halo
halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 AM   #81
maggot

We don't really seem to have a scene in this suburb of mine. Most of the bands are crap.

But there are a good few... Like my friend Alex, hes in a band called orphyen http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...7-6b06bd681d80

I think they're pretty good.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #82
slave1

Denver has a GREAT scene. I personally have brought some amazing bands through here: Skinny Puppy, Fron 242, Sister Machine Gun, KMFDM and has huge response.

We have plenty of kick ass club nights as well.
My favorites:
Disintegration Saturdays at Club 2101
and Rock Island Unscene Sundays.
slave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #83
PersephoneX

our punk scene rocks the shit! our metal scene rocks the shit (and i often make attempts to kill mini-Avrils in the pits, and come home with broken ribs, etc). our goth scene is quite happy too, at the moment...

what more could a girl ask for? i live in a wonderfully cultural town...

I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 PM   #84
deamon doll

i live in orange county, you know like the corny ass show?
all ive got to say is youve got to know the right people to know where the right places for music are. or your screwed into wasting money on lame venues where the bands suck-diddly-uck
deamon doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #85
Minyaliel

The music scene in my town... until now, I've avoided the one goth night there is because I seriously don't like metal. And here in Norway, everything seems to be about some kind of heavy metal. _MAN_, I'm so sick and tired of Dimmu Borgir, Ulver and all those bands where you hardly can understand the lyrics and the elguitars make your head buzz. I mean, how do you dance to that kind of music?

I prefer music without the guitars. Well, with the exception of some bands, like Bauhaus and Siouxsie and the Banshees. Oh, and Subway to Sally. I'd rather hear a fiddler play a slip jig than a band make a lot of angry noise.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:17 AM   #86
Slap Your Love

Angry

We do have a music scene here where I live and I despise it.
It consists of Xcore sXe kids. Hate it, hate it.

Besides this there is the counrty music fans. ::Shudder::
Old 09-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #87
Splintered

I know we have on metal band, stashed around here.
But other then that, we have nothing. I mean, literally nothing.
'Cept for the local schools orchestras.
And, I keep walking by this house, and I swear I hear someone jamming out in it, but I can't be sure.
But yeah. Nothing.
Splintered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #88
Lelith_Hesperax

since I`m in Europe I must say germany is promised land for industrial, ebm, future pop, dark wave....they have it all... the culture,djs,clubs....I still hope that one they here will be the same... for now we have one that night in two weeks ( but it`s a really great night )
Lelith_Hesperax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #89
Joshie_G

My scene in the 210 is filling up with Metalcore/Post-Punk. Although Classic rock will never die here. Poison played here this summer and sold out. Same with Def Leppard or any other shitty hair band.
Joshie_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #90
PersephoneX

oi! i grew up on Def Leppard...and i'm in love with Thin Lizzy...but ANYWAY, my point is: you gotta start somewhere...

our scene seems to be filling up with emo kids....
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-01-2006, 10:28 PM   #91
Argine

Not so great for me here in Vancouver. Not many good bands come here; I haven't even seen a concert. We have some goth events in town but they're all 19+. As for metal and prog, my other favourite genres, most bands seem to tour Europe or just go to Eastern Canada. Blind Guardian is coming here which I desperately want to see but once again it's 19+ which sucks because I'm only 16.
Argine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 AM   #92
PersephoneX

get a fake id...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 AM   #93
Slap Your Love

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelith_Hesperax
since I`m in Europe I must say germany is promised land for industrial, ebm, future pop, dark wave....they have it all... the culture,djs,clubs....I still hope that one they here will be the same... for now we have one that night in two weeks ( but it`s a really great night )
=[ I wanna go to Germany.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #94
Argine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersephoneX
get a fake id...
I don't know, I think I look sort of young even for 16.
Argine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #95
PersephoneX

shame, honey...don a fake 'stache and big sunnies...and dont forget your fake ID...
I cut myself to sleep
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

Old 10-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #96
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Great music scene here in Southern California, if you don't mind the drive.
This month alone we have Rancid, She Wants Revenge, The Cramps, The Black Crowes, Misfits; then just down the street at the Showcase, plenty of local talent (with a mosh pit! In case you're reading PersephoneX! $15). So yeah, pretty lucky.
Darkwave and electro-Goth, Industrial etc. is a little further drive away.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #97
Lelith_Hesperax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Your Love
=[ I wanna go to Germany.
me toooo
Lelith_Hesperax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:52 AM   #98
badteccy

Yea, even though the Philly "goth" scene is pretty big...it's all 00nce 00nce stuff here. I mean, I like it and all but I'd rather hear more gothic rock.
badteccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #99
Haunted House

Yeah. It pretty much sucks. The Philly area needs good Goth and Deathrock bands.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:23 AM   #100
Cadaveria Fan

Well Im from Iowa and the music scene is good, the underground has good metal bands like Suicide Attempt and The After Birth of God.
Cadaveria Fan is offline   Reply With Quote