Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #76
ThinkDifferent

Oh nothing much just the compiled works of social ecologists.
ThinkDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #77
Soul_Immortal

*Snickers* Was that a shot at me? Do elaborate. I simply asked what brought you to believe the non-existence of true giving.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #78
ThinkDifferent

Around a couple decades ago the selfish gene theory was published. The selfish gene theory revolves around the concept that you do every thing in the intrest of your genes. Since your genes are considered the escence of your being; your offspring are half of you. That was the first concept of there is no altruism only self intrest. To prove the theory wrong the majority of social ecologists looked for examples of altruism. Instead of proving the theory wrong, they proved it right. It is now a modele of biology, ecology and other sciences related to social interaction. An example is a bee colony; a wroker bee lives a life of unceasing toil and will often sacrifice his life for the good of the colony. It is not altruism it is neopotism; all members of the colony share aproximatly 50% of their genes with the queen the monarch of reporduction. The most important function second to survival of an organism is reproduction(yes i know i said prosperity earlier but since we are human...).
Old 01-08-2006, 10:02 AM   #79
ThinkDifferent

My explanation is a poor one if you find it lacking i suggest the book Origins of Virtue.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:57 AM   #80
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, but genes are not everything. If they were, society would never advance. I mean, when humans were not yet Homo Sapiens, the woman was the dominating section of society. Yet, we evolved into thinking man was the head of the family. According to Crowley (though that's a religious point, but I like it to prove a point) society should be evolvinginto more of a brotherhood, I suppose that means a little more equality as there's no head of the family, but only the family.
Anyway, it's obvious society evolves, and I DO think there's something such as unselfish acts. It's a virtue we have earned after millenia, and we should not waste it.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #81
ThinkDifferent

"...but genes are not everything. If they were, society would never advance." -Please explain.

Woman was the dominating section of society?
Old 01-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #82
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, look for our prehistoric ancestors. Women were more respected and had more power than men because they were the ones that sustained the family and prolonged the species; but then, I don't know why, humans began to think man is the important figure in a family.
If genes were the only thing that dictated our behaviour, our society would not change, because they would be a part of our instincts. Let me try to explain it with examples, I think it'll be easier to understand, hehe:
You will always see lions in packs with only one male, ants know their purpose in the colony when they're born, male black widows let themselves to be eaten in order to fertilize the female...
That's because they have it imbued in their nature, and that's how they always work; you don't see changes in their behavior.
But htat's not the case with humans. We have to be taught to understand society, just as we don't instinctly know what to eat. So there must be something more than our genes that tells us how to act

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #83
Godslayer Jillian

Oh, and I can think of an absolute. the perfect absolute:
Love

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-08-2006, 04:10 PM   #84
ThinkDifferent

I said both polar extremes are flawed; Christianity and Satanism. Get it straight, first you tell me I'm mistaken by commenting that indulging at the cost of others is flawed then you tell me I'm wrong by me saying indulging at the cost of others is stupidity and leads an individual no where in our social world which is true. Fucking other people over gets you no where unless its helping someone else. You think the buissness world is bereft of favours, kick backs and social debts?

Try contradicting me without contradicting your self first. Learn to piece sentences together before picking them apart.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #85
ThinkDifferent

I think you have to take into account natural selection; If something works or leads to improvement it becomes common practice. Survival of the fittest, the weak ones die and their genes weeded out of existence.That way their is constant improvement-evolution-adaptation.

If you look at why theres just one male lion in the pack im sure theirs an explanation as to why its beneficial to the genes of the male lion. I'ts common practise because it works. Humans on the other hand are exceptional, we're the most socially evolved animal of all, we had to e to adapt, to survive. Since we were the most social we grew to be the most intelligent and then it was one tribe competeing against another. The most intelligent tribe the tribe who say invented blow darts and projectile weapons were the guys that won. Due to competition we evolved. Conflict breeds progress; If you look at the beginning of the 20th century during world war II that was when the most progress in sciences were made. Oragan transplants, nuclear bombs, jet engines...etc. Not nessarcly postive progress but still progress.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:17 PM   #86
Godslayer Jillian

You know, I'm really happy to see this is what we discuss
I see forums of, for example, punks, and they're mostly about how cool is Greenday or how sad it was that Blink 182 got separated.
Now, WE goths, speak of the nature of human society or the paradoxes of sociological empiricism. That's freakin' awesome

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 01-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #87
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Keep in mind my opinions is only solely about the man himself and not his followers (Satanists).

In regards to the sources that I've read about Anton Szandor LaVey. I think he resembles a fictional self-absorbed character, who preaches through the voice of a narrater in an infamous horror book. At this point in time, I have come to view his beliefs to be beyond laughable means. He is indeed very self-absorbed and it shows in his bible, in which I think he blatantly teaches his followers to be more selfish and that self-indulgenced.

An excerpt taken from his bible:
In keeping with the Satanic views on sacrifice, the parchment used would be made from the skin of a sheep which was, by necessity, killed for food. An animal is never slaughtered for the purpose of using all or part of that animal in a Satanic ritual. If commercial parchment which has been made from already slaughtered sheep cannot be obtained, plain paper may be substituted.

It is not a "necessity" to kill any animal (including a human) in order to survive. Yet the bible contradicts itself stating that "ritual killing (of humans or animals) violates Satanic principles ("rules of behaviour" section of the bible).

Here is the nine "laughable" Satanic sins that the man had created:
*Stupidity
*pretentiousness
*solipsism
*self-deceit
*herd conformity
*lack of perspective
*forgetfulness of past orthodoxies
*counterproductive pride
*lack of aesthetics

I think that everyone has had at least one of these attributes stripped from their character, at some point in time. If we were to take these sins literally, I would think that we're all "sinners".

One of his core "satanic statements" of the Church of Satan is "Indulgence, not abstinence". Again, it shows how self-absorbed he is and I think the statement is meaningless and laughable.
do you have an online copy of the satanic bible?
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #88
Godslayer Jillian

Nah it's not laughable. It's actually the best way of life. Think of it, why live a life of abstinence, when, to LaVey, to me, and millions of others, there's nothing after death? So, sure, it's not good to hurt others, and satanists actually shouldn't bother or hurt anyone; besides that, we can do whatever the hell we want

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-01-2006, 01:06 AM   #89
Aurecante

It's not looking to good for him:

MN vampire gubernatorial candidate "The Impaler" arrested
A candidate for governor whose platform includes public impalement of terrorists found himself behind bars today on a pair of outstanding arrest warrants.... ...launched his campaign last month. His platform includes an emphasis on education, tax breaks for farmers and better benefits for veterans, but he also said he favored impaling certain wrongdoers in front of the State Capitol.

(Source

See also: Wife of MN Satanic gubernatorial candidate fired for being witch
Aurecante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:49 AM   #90
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin
do you have an online copy of the satanic bible?
I did find one, a while ago, but I no longer have the link to the website.

Well, you can always try surfing the internet yourself.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 AM   #91
mortalitas incomitatus

ROSE!!!!!

where have you been hiding?

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 AM   #92
rockandrose

Under your bed, eating new born kittens and workshipping the devil, of course.

I thought you already figured that out! =)
Old 02-01-2006, 03:16 AM   #93
mortalitas incomitatus

*slaps head*

thats what that noise was.

*another eliter*
mortalitas incomitatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #94
Godslayer Jillian

I wondered where those kittens went

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-04-2006, 02:57 AM   #95
Sanctus Dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDifferent
I said both polar extremes are flawed; Christianity and Satanism. Get it straight, first you tell me I'm mistaken by commenting that indulging at the cost of others is flawed then you tell me I'm wrong by me saying indulging at the cost of others is stupidity and leads an individual no where in our social world which is true. Fucking other people over gets you no where unless its helping someone else. You think the buissness world is bereft of favours, kick backs and social debts?

Try contradicting me without contradicting your self first. Learn to piece sentences together before picking them apart.

Sorry Kiddo but she made far more sense then you, and side note for ya; you would be received in a far more serious sense if you could spell correctly.
Example?

Quote:
If you look at why theres just one male lion in the pack im sure theirs an explanation as to why its beneficial to the genes of the male lion. I'ts common practise because it works. Humans on the other hand are exceptional, we're the most socially evolved animal of all, we had to e to adapt, to survive. Since we were the most social we grew to be the most intelligent and then it was one tribe competeing against another. The most intelligent tribe the tribe who say invented blow darts and projectile weapons were the guys that won. Due to competition we evolved. Conflict breeds progress; If you look at the beginning of the 20th century during world war II that was when the most progress in sciences were made. Oragan transplants, nuclear bombs, jet engines...etc. Not nessarcly postive progress but still progress.
Not to mention Grammar and sentence structure... By the way, the majority of the above quote is about as re-cock-ulous as your return defense mechanics. Actually organize your thoughts so your entire theory rides a solo track. Also.. some factual research could help as your randomly placed ass dribbled hypothesis have no validity.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM   #96
Queenofdarkness57

What's the difference btween satan and devil? I'm always confused.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #97
Godslayer Jillian

Well, the difference is what you want it to be, don't you think?
In christianity, I think they're just the same.
Socially speaking, the devil is the one they taught you that makes bad things.
Satan is:
-in christianity, I believe, the same as the devil
-if you take it's root word, Shaitan, from the Islam, which is an adjective meaning Illusionist, astray, or distant, it'd be similar to the devil
-I think I remember hearing that the Christian Satan evolved from the Egyptian Set, which was not an anti god, but a symmetrically opposite god
-In LaVey's religion, Satan is a force of nature, not a quasi-deity. It's a representation of, let's say, indulgence for example

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #98
Godslayer Jillian

I'm so intrigued to know what you have to say Santarea
Please, do tell

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #99
Godslayer Jillian

Nah, I don't think I'll debate
Though, the word "devil" was used 6 times in the book of Matthew and 4 in Luke, once in Ephesians, once in 1 Timothy, and once in 1 John, but nowhere in the old testament (well, in King James Version, there's the word "devils" in some places, but not "devil")

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #100
Godslayer Jillian

Woah, never seen you speaking like this, hehe.
But yea, there's no reference to either Lucifer or Devil in the Old Testament

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote: