Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
ChaoticImpulse

Newbie here....

My name is Matt, im 20 and from Boston.

I'm a goth ( duh ) and well I love nothing more than writing, listening to music & playing in my band. I'm very much introverted, I hate most people ( other than goths ) and my religion is LaVeyan Satanism.

I hope to chat to people with similar likes and such.
And I'm very open minded , let me just add that!
ChaoticImpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
Tam Li Hua

Hi there! Welcome to the forums!

Could I trouble you to fill out the introduction questionnaire, so we can learn a bit more about you? ^_^

Also, out of curiosity, why LaVeyan Satanism? Why not simply say you're an atheist? [Not giving you a hard time, just something I've honestly never understood.]

BTW, there are several folks here who aren't Goth; it's not a prerequisite to join the site. ;-]
Old 04-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
ChaoticImpulse

Ok well I can go on talking about this forever lol, but simply put I would rather choose to believe that i am my own God than believing in no God at all. I can further this discussion even more but you can message me if you want to talk about it more.

I will add the questionnaire to my post!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
ChaoticImpulse

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job) I play in a metal band at night and during the day I give music lessons and sell instruments. As you can tell music is my life . I also enjoy writing . I'm writing a book at the moment but it's taking forever!

2. Where are you from? I stay in Boston, but was born in London. I moved here when I was 19, after I left my home.

3. Who is your favorite author? Bram Stoker

4. What are your favorite films? The Seventh Victim, The Ninth Gate & Spellbinder

5. What music do you want played at your wedding? Wow, haven't thought that far yet!

6. At your funeral? Marilyn Manson, only cause people say I look like him.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die? In a fire.

8. What kind of casket would you want? pitch black with lots of space

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit? gosh, I really like my BDSM outfit

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid? nothing. I've happy being my age.

11. What's your favorite band? thats impossible to answer
Marilyn Manson, Cradle OF Filth, Murderdolls, Powerman 5000, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Loser, Dio, Ozzy Osbourne, Ill Nino, Collapsing Lungs, Jack Off Jill.Scarling, Kiss, Dali Gaggers, Greenday, Pantera, John-5, SeethermLamb Of God, Slayer, Black Sabbath, Savatage, King Diamond, Motorhead, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Gorgoroth, Children Of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Nine Inch Nails, Slipknot, In Flames..

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major? I finished high school and that's my only accomplishment so far. I might go study philosophy or psychology someday.

13. Why did you join? I want to converse with people like me

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender? Male
Old 04-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Underwater Ophelia

You're not goth, you're just a loser. I can't believe your parents let you dress the way you do.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Tam Li Hua

If you believe you are your own God, then I don't see how that's really atheism, and thus not really LaVeyan Satanism; you're still believing in a deity of some kind.

I really really hope you aren't claiming Laveyan Satanism just because you want to seem like a more hardcore goff. =P

Hmmm...interesting music list. A great deal of metal [which is cool], but I don't see anything that really classifies as Goth. Perhaps your more of a metalhead rather than Goth..?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
Lady of Slaughter

I'm also partially LaVeyan (I'm a mixture of several religions, but LaVeyan Satanist is in there). Pleased to meet you.
Lady of Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
DRM

Why do you needs lots of space in your casket?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
the-nihilist

Maybe he wants to have all of his material possessions buried with him when dies, so he can take them to the after life.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
If you believe you are your own God, then I don't see how that's really atheism, and thus not really LaVeyan Satanism; you're still believing in a deity of some kind.
He never said he was an atheist. He clearly said he was a satanist. What the fuck are you talking about?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Tam Li Hua

^ LaVeyan Satanism is essentially a religion of atheists; the whole concept is relying on yourself, and that a higher deity doesn't exist.

Feel free to correct me if you think I'm mistaken, however. ^_^
Old 04-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
Alan

You asked him if he considers himself atheist. He said he's not an atheist, but a satanist. Then you told him you "don't see how that's really atheism."
You're fucking stupid.
real classy
Old 04-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
Altemese

LaVeyan Satanism was founded in 1966 by Anton LaVey. Its teachings are based on individualism, self-control, and "eye for an eye" morality, drawing influences from the rituals and ceremonies of occultist Aleister Crowley, and the philosophies of Friedrich Nietzsche and Ayn Rand. Employing Crowley's terminology, its adherents define Satanism as a "Left-Hand Path" religion and philosophy, rejecting traditional "Right-Hand Path" religions such as Christianity and Wicca for their perceived denial of life and, as in Christianity, emphasis on guilt and abstinence. Unlike Theistic Satanism, LaVeyan Satanism does not involve the literal worship of any being other than the self, but rather uses "Satan" as a symbol of carnality and earthly values, of man's inherent nature, in what it calls 'ritual psychodramas'.

Atheism is commonly defined as the position that there are no deities It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. A broader definition is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.

In a way they are different. atheist do not believe in deities of any sort. But LaVeyan Satanism believe that the person ( who is ever a LaVeyan Satanism) are deities themselves. So in a way he is not a atheist. He views himself as a god. There for worships himself. Atheist believe there is no god, not even themselves.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You asked him if he considers himself atheist. He said he's not an atheist, but a satanist. Then you told him you "don't see how that's really atheism."
You're fucking stupid.
Your mom's face is stupid. *rolls eyes*

Now that that immaturity is out of the way, what I meant was that you can't look on yourself as a deity, and still be an atheist. That being said, those who are Laveyan Satanists are almost always also absolute atheists. They don't believe that they themselves are gods, but rather that relying on yourself is the only way to get anywhere in life.

At least, that's what I've come to understand from the several conversations I've had with Laveyan Satanists.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
Tam Li Hua

BTW, if you want to know what Goth music is -really- all about, may I suggest checking out such bands as the Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins, Sisters of Mercy, and Siouxsie Sioux?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #16
Alan

Quote:
what I meant was that you can't look on yourself as a deity, and still be an atheist.
And he never fucking said he was an atheist, you stupid cunt.
real classy
Old 04-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
Tam Li Hua

O.o Oookay, over-reaction much?

LaVeyan Satanism = Atheism. It's a philosophy for atheists, by a man who was atheist. No LaVeyan I've ever spoken with claimed to be a god or a deity. Unless you have a reliable source that proves otherwise, I have no reason to change my mind. And I'm -definitely- not changing it just because it pisses you off for some reason.

Egad, some people..

Edit: I'm...going to go to bed now. It's late, and I'm still dizzy from Paxil withdrawal.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #18
ChaoticImpulse

Wow ookay reaction!

Underwater Ophelia: I honestly couldn't care less about your opinion. But it was nice seeing someone make a complete idiot of himself!

Tam Li Hua: I'm not a atheist. Never claimed to be and I'm most definitely am not a poser. I find it kinda offensive that people are just automatically assuming I'm faking it when they don't even know me. Just a thought?

Lady of Slaughter: Nice to meet you too! What other religions do you also follow?

DRM: I simply want a big coffin. That's that

Altemese: That's correct. Everything you said there about laVeyan Satanism.

the-nihilist: Not quite!

Alan: No need for harsh words mate , just a misunderstanding
Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #19
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticImpulse View Post
Tam Li Hua: I'm not a atheist. Never claimed to be and I'm most definitely am not a poser. I find it kinda offensive that people are just automatically assuming I'm faking it when they don't even know me. Just a thought?
*facepalm*

Ok, I see I'm going to have to literally spell this out. Since every other LaVeyan Satanist I've come across has explained it quite blatantly as atheism with a philosophy, that's what I assume it is. Lavey = Atheist. Laveyan Satanism = a religion for Atheists. Never ever ever have I ever come across a Laveyan who claimed to be their own deity. Self-sufficient, yes. Deity, most definitely not.

Out of curiosity, have you read LaVey's book? I haven't, so I may be missing something that's explained in there.

On the subject of music: I never said you were a poser. I said that your music tastes indicates that you're more of a metalhead than a Goth. If you want to say you're a Goth who prefers metal, then go ahead. However, none of the music you listed could be considered of the Goth genre solely; ALL of them have metal elements. What's more if you're in a metal band and enjoy making metal music, this further supports the idea that your more of a metal music fan than a Goth music fan. That isn't a bad thing, unless you have some sort of weird vendetta against the word "metal".

Edit: Thanks for the support. =) I generally don't like being called that word just because of a silly internet disagreement.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #20
Altemese

Quote:
*facepalm*

Ok, I see I'm going to have to literally spell this out. Since every other LaVeyan Satanist I've come across has explained it quite blatantly as atheism with a philosophy, that's what I assume it is. Lavey = Atheist. Laveyan Satanism = a religion for Atheists. Never ever ever have I ever come across a Laveyan who claimed to be their own deity. Self-sufficient, yes. Deity, most definitely not.

Out of curiosity, have you read LaVey's book? I haven't, so I may be missing something that's explained in there.

On the subject of music: I never said you were a poser. I said that your music tastes indicates that you're more of a metalhead than a Goth. If you want to say you're a Goth who prefers metal, then go ahead. However, none of the music you listed could be considered of the Goth genre solely; ALL of them have metal elements. What's more if you're in a metal band and enjoy making metal music, this further supports the idea that your more of a metal music fan than a Goth music fan. That isn't a bad thing, unless you have some sort of weird vendetta against the word "metal".

Edit: Thanks for the support. =) I generally don't like being called that word just because of a silly internet disagreement.
Well everyone has there own way of worship. to themselves or too a god. if he views himself as a god, than that is great. (yes i laugh about that part. i couldn't contain myself)

Yeah about the music. I have to agree with the above post. that is more a the metal genre.
Altemese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #21
Lady of Slaughter

ChaoticImpulse:

Other religions I follow include the Craft (only a small bit of it, I'm not a huge fan of Wicca, personally, I pick and choose which pieces I like), some parts of other pagan beliefs, and a lot of Kemeticism.
Lady of Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altemese View Post
Well everyone has there own way of worship. to themselves or too a god. if he views himself as a god, than that is great. (yes i laugh about that part. i couldn't contain myself)

Yeah about the music. I have to agree with the above post. that is more a the metal genre.
I agree, and that's fine, but it annoys me when people claim a religion that they don't seem to know a lot about. [I know I know; I'm a sucker for semantics. As an ex-English teacher, I can't help it. lol] Then again, it also annoys me when I ask for folks to correct me if I'm wrong, but get cursed out and called nasty names instead of getting an intelligent answer. -_-;;;

Claiming that you are a god or deity is more New Age mysticism than Laveyan Satanism. [Though, like you, it always greatly amuses me when someone claims they are a god or a deity. XD XD XD Why is it so bad to just be human?]
Old 04-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #23
Mariner

Quote:
*facepalm*

I share your understanding of LaVeyan Satanism, I didn't realize there are LaVeyan Satanists that truely believe themselves to be gods.
Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #24
Tam Li Hua

^ Thank you. I was beginning to think I had hallucinated all those previous convos with other Laveyans! lol
Old 04-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
Saya

Tam, I think satanism is by and large stupid but its even more stupid to lecture someone who belongs to another religion that they are atheist when they are not. Its like some Buddhists insist that we are atheist, but I'm not one and its pretty ignorant to keep suggesting that. Thats a really personal definition and its only atheist in that it lacks a god but still believes in supernatural things, which most atheists also disbelieve in.

Its also not a atheist "philosophy", its an actual religion.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote