Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Opteron_Man

I am an Atheist

Like I said, I am an atheist. I saw the light of reason almost a year ago and I am much better because of it.

I watched Richard Dawkins interviews, and I bought The God Delusion by him.

I just wanted to invite Atheist Goths to this new thread to chinwag about their beliefs and to exchange stories in general.

I have received allot of shit from my family who are (cringe) all strongly religious. What I believe in or rather don't believe in does NOT make me a bad man! Although immediately labeling me as one is just an easy answer.

Here's soome good vids
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zDHJ4ztnldQ
http://youtube.com/watch?v=y4mWiqkGy-Y
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HWVkS2g7xo
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H3LHxNaAU-g
Opteron_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
dabbadmc

I have a friend who's atheist and although I can respect her opinions, I still live by the Christian values and try to be a disciple.

The first video was interesting though. I based some of my answers not on the fact that I was making up 'excuses' but I believe that the bible contains errors, as nobody is perfect, and so we should look for the deeper meanings behind the words, especially the parables.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Opteron_Man

It has been suggested behind my back from my dumbass uncle (Fred) that I worship Satan. I am an Atheist, that statement about me worshiping Satan is contradictory. There is no Hell or Heaven. Period. He is just spooked for his own closed minded reasons because I am Goth. He then attacks my conversion to Atheism because he thinks he is better then me, but actually is only one step above drooling in his morning bowl of cereal.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbadmc
I have a friend who's atheist and although I can respect her opinions, I still live by the Christian values and try to be a disciple.

The first video was interesting though. I based some of my answers not on the fact that I was making up 'excuses' but I believe that the bible contains errors, as nobody is perfect, and so we should look for the deeper meanings behind the words, especially the parables.
Just a second, I didn't make the videos. I just posted links because I think they are worth looking at.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
I just wanted to invite Atheist Goths to this new thread to chinwag about their beliefs and to exchange stories in general.
As a great man once said.
Lolwut?
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Serephurus

I used to be atheist, but then I converted to Christianity and realized it was worthless for me and became a unitarian universalist. (Atheists can be UU as well. It's a religion for everybody that teaches to pick your own path and believe whatever you want to.) I now practice witchcraft from time to time and I enjoy it.
Serephurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Wednesday Friday Addams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephurus
I used to be atheist, but then I converted to Christianity and realized it was worthless for me and became a unitarian universalist. (Atheists can be UU as well. It's a religion for everybody that teaches to pick your own path and believe whatever you want to.) I now practice witchcraft from time to time and I enjoy it.
If Atheism ever becomes a religion let me know.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Barfing_Rat

Gee.... I see a nuke war coming up. I'm a atheist simply because I find whole idea of invisible man in sky playing game with people to be absurd. Plus many religion people always come up with some of dumbest explanation for everything. Yesterday one of my friend sent me a email telling me that the fire happening around my area was not a accident but it was wrath of god because California approved same sex marriage. Yet no one died in the fire and only very few homes has been destroyed. Plus fire happen every year in Calif. It's nothing new.

Beside that, it also seems like every religion people are just always fighting over everything that doesn't involve them. So it just make me feel like religious people are mostly a bunches of busybody who like to poke their nose into neighbor's business. So I just try to avoid them if I can help it.

*Run and dive into his foxhole*
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
acrossthedam

I am a theater person, and I've written and co written many plays. This is relevant because when I write I also make life, you see I make these characters, I've made them who they are, and then they are. It's not black and white anymore; its breathing, seeing, and believing as the part. Anyone who has acted and was any good is able to become the part and feel those emotions. I just wrote a ten minute skit about a girl that finds out her father is having sex with her younger sister, and when I invited a few friends over to read through the pain and hurt the character felt was real and raw. I say this because I feel like when I take my pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) I am a creator, and when a painter paints a picture he too has created. So with that if I can create, then something created me. Creation is something we all do, and we do so much. Some Christians have said to me 'you didn't create that, you took God's product and changed it' and then I realize that is creation, its change and it's something new. So when I act, I am, I have been created and the writer holds my strings for defeat or joy, it's a beautiful thing no? So while I have full respect for you and while I am not sure what it is I believe, I think I have proved that someone or anything can be a creator.
acrossthedam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
Tristanna

I'm agnostic, i know enough to know ..i dont know enough to know either way LOL.. I dont belive gods existence can be proved to my satisfaction so i cant believe in it/she/him.
Tristanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday Friday Addams
As a great man once said.
Lolwut?
Please explain what you mean by "Lolwut".
Wednesday Friday Addams, I have never ever hear of that word before.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfing_Rat
Gee.... I see a nuke war coming up. I'm a atheist simply because I find whole idea of invisible man in sky playing game with people to be absurd. Plus many religion people always come up with some of dumbest explanation for everything. Yesterday one of my friend sent me a email telling me that the fire happening around my area was not a accident but it was wrath of god because California approved same sex marriage. Yet no one died in the fire and only very few homes has been destroyed. Plus fire happen every year in Calif. It's nothing new.

Beside that, it also seems like every religion people are just always fighting over everything that doesn't involve them. So it just make me feel like religious people are mostly a bunches of busybody who like to poke their nose into neighbor's business. So I just try to avoid them if I can help it.

*Run and dive into his foxhole*
Wow Barfing_Rat! Your absolutly right there!
Your head IS screwed on strate judging from the posts that I have seen from you. Good reasoning.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opteron_Man
Please explain what you mean by "Lolwut".
Wednesday Friday Addams, I have never ever hear of that word before.
Well, "their beliefs" implies.. belief. In WHAT?! You're an atheist. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this void belief? Because.. there no proof that god exists and what not?
Opinion and belief are different. I'd think that'd make more sense..

So.. you're an atheist. Would you like a round of applause?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
Anonymoose

I will be so bold as to say that Christian values, the ones that matter, do not conflict with a common moral code.

Do not murder.
Do not lie.
Do not cheat.

God may exist, but God is not corporeal. The beauty of Christianity from what I gather, is the idea of being a free moral agent. Free Will. You can't ask for anything more.

But I'm not a Christian.
Anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
Godslayer Jillian

I like when people stop needing mysticism to enjoy life, but I wouldn't recommend this thread to continue.
If it is for the message that you're an atheist, Opteron Man, then good for you. And I will admit, I only like it because I'm an atheist myself; it would still be empowering to anyone else to shout out their change in beliefs (or lack of), but then I'd ask a bunch of questions and raise challenges and whatnot.
But if this thread is supposed to be a "club" for atheists, then let's not. It immediately raises the question "gather up we atheists... as oppossed to whom?"
It's identity through negative space.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #16
Anonymoose

That's interesting, Godslayer.
Anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
Well, "their beliefs" implies.. belief. In WHAT?! You're an atheist. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this void belief? Because.. there no proof that god exists and what not?
Opinion and belief are different. I'd think that'd make more sense..

So.. you're an atheist. Would you like a round of applause?
Would I like a round of applause? Sure, why not! Thanks!

I thought someone would raise cane about my use of the word "belief".
My use of the word "belief" is not related to religion. I believe in science and reason. If I do not see hard evidence in something new, I am skeptical
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM   #18
Opteron_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I like when people stop needing mysticism to enjoy life, but I wouldn't recommend this thread to continue.
If it is for the message that you're an atheist, Opteron Man, then good for you. And I will admit, I only like it because I'm an atheist myself; it would still be empowering to anyone else to shout out their change in beliefs (or lack of), but then I'd ask a bunch of questions and raise challenges and whatnot.
But if this thread is supposed to be a "club" for atheists, then let's not. It immediately raises the question "gather up we atheists... as oppossed to whom?"
Why are you asking me what message I am puting out? Read the damn Introduction at the top!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

I never asked anything. Learn to read before you piss me off.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Opteron_Man

Quote:
I never asked anything. Learn to read before you piss me off.
Before I piss you off? Ohh I'm scared!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

You're quite an idiot sometimes, you know that?
Korinna condescendingly asks you if you want a round of applause, and you think she was being nice to you.
I congratulate you on becoming an atheist, and you attempt to be a jerk.
Learn to read contexts or fuck off.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 06-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #22
Opteron_Man

Quote:
I know how to read, do you?
You said "If it is for the message that you're an atheist, Opteron Man, then good for you." It was not my intention to announce to the whole site how proud I am of being Atheist.
I wasn’t trying to beat my chest.
Just stating a fact for the introduction. Be as pissed off as you like. You’re thousands of miles away from me.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #23
Barfing_Rat

*palmface*
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #24
Opteron_Man

Quote:
You're quite an idiot sometimes, you know that?
Korinna condescendingly asks you if you want a round of applause, and you think she was being nice to you.
I congratulate you on becoming an atheist, and you attempt to be a jerk.
Learn to read contexts or fuck off.
I was being sarcastic you dumbass! I allready knew that she was being condescending! Where do you people come from anyway? Get your head screwed on strait! I feel like Moe, I feel compelled to bang your heads together! Every time I post something, you pea brains twist it around and blow it out of proportion. Then I have to draw a Crayon picture so you drooling retards can understand! Even then, you either are not satisfied or are confused/insulted by yet another post which I have to dummy down for you!

I know that you will be incensed by this message and will fling “fuck you’s” at me, well before that can happen, I will say it first:

“Fuck You Asshole!”
Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #25
Corpsey

Opteron, go chill your head out somewhere. You're spewing nonsense.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote