Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Melly

Like, OMG, I'mma SuPeRrRr Grrrrly Ke$ha fan!!!!! (not really)

Actually, I just couldn't think of a good title. At worst, many of you now hate me. At best, I got your attention for this introduction.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I write, mostly. Read. I actually am a HUGE fan of music (bug shocker there, eh?) and any day where I get to have all three of these things (plus good food, good alcohol and good company) are the days I tend to find most enjoyable.

Oh, and I study serial killers.

2. Where are you from?
New York!

3. Who is your favorite author?
It ranges. I've got a soft spot for Charles de Lint, JK Rowling (I'm guilty of being a terrible Harry Potter nerd), Chuck Palahniuk, Kim Harrison, Edgar Allan Poe, the Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson and Dr Seuss. (I know, that probably sounds really silly and childish. But I don't really care. He's funny, a poet and created the word "nerd".)

4. What are your favorite films?
Far too many to list, but my absolute top five are
5 - Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
4 - Pan's Labyrinth
3 - Nightmare Before Christmas
2 - Tie between Watchmen and Repo! The Genetic Opera
1 - The Lion King (yes. The Disney movie.)

But honestly I'll watch just about anything. Horror and comedy are two favourites and Disney is a childhood love I never fully grew out of. Oh, and the less known, the better.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
I assume this means as a first dance song, and not the walk down the aisle.
Stay With You - Goo Goo Dolls

6. At your funeral?
Moonlight Sonata - Beethoven

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
I don't much mind, or care, how, but I want it to be winter.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
An intricately carved and designed wooden with with silver and gold chasing.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My knee high, lace up biker leather boots, striped leggings, a black and white skirt, my black shirt with gold, green and purple lettering with a faerie torso and face on one side and, if it's cold enough, my Alice in Wonderland sweatshirt.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
People finding the sometimes stupid or idiotic things you do adorable, instead of annoying.

11. What's your favorite band?
Rob Zombie (not technically a band but hey...)

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
In college. Criminal Justice!

13. Why did you join?
I heard about this website a while ago, but forgot about it. Today a friend of mine mentioned it again during conversation and I decided to actually go a sign up. I love my friends and family, and how varied we all are, but this website (I'm hoping) will provide me with a few more people in my life with some similar mind sets and such.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
ape descendant

I too love Harry Potter, Kill Bill, Pan's Labrynth, stripey legg stuff, Dr. Seuss and have a bit of an interest in serial killers, myself. Lets get married and have babies.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:07 AM   #3
TheFeatheredÆtheling

I now hate you... Just kidding.

What kind of things do you write? I love the Brothers Grimm, Hans Christian Anderson, and Dr. Seuss as well. I didn't realize that Dr. Seuss created the word "nerd".

Anyway, warm welcome.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #4
Melly

ape descendant, that sounds like it would be a rather enjoyable union. Our children would be violent, imaginative little balls of awesome. =)

TheFeatheredÆtheling, I write a lot of fiction. Mostly horror/psych based. If I do this type, it's short to medium length stories. My longest was... just over 100 typed I believe. But sometimes I dip a bit into fantasy and create full on worlds with their own rules and lands and everything. Which, of course, means a longer book because you have to establish everything.
A common theme I'm toying with now, and I think it falls under fiction, is taking one event in history and trying to figure out what the world would be like if that event happened differently. IE - Hitler got accepted to art school. Would the TMNT have Hitler instead of Michaelangelo? Or if Anne Boleyn had never been killed, what would have become of her kingdom? You get the idea.

Yeah he did! He invented it. A lot of his words are made up, same way Shakespeare made up "Jessica"
Old 07-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
lady_cthulhu

Welcome, Melly! Nice to have another writer on board. I'm a fan of Kim Harrison and Dr. Seuss myself

I like the sound of your history story, it sounds pretty cool.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Melly

It seems a lot, if not all of, the people on this board are of artistic persuasion. It's great to just kinda check around and see what people are saying. You can get such fresh ideas!

Well thank you! I'm trying to figure out exactly how to format it.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
lady_cthulhu

Definitely so! I hope you'll share some of your work in the literature section.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Ben Lahnger

You had me at Charles de Lint.

Welcome to this place. I look forward to your contributions.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Melly

I'm working on a current piece thet, once I finish it, I think I'd be willing to share. I get really shy with my work, but that's mostly from two incidents in my past that made me figure my writing just wasn't meant to be shared. Slowly, slowly, I'm showing it off more.

Haha! He's a great writer. Always been a favourite of mine
Thank you for the welcomes. =)
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #10
Alan

I didn't like Kill Bill. Then a friend told me it's supposed to have an anime aesthetic to its violence but with real characters.
I still didn't like Kill Bill.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Melly

I did. I thought it was ridiculously violent and the fight scenes were so fake, but that was part of the charm. None of it was supposed to be taken too seriously or literally, IMO. I mean, really, killing someone with your fingers? Hahaha.
I think it's fun, funny and Uma Thurman in tight leather? Yes please!

Is there any particular reason you didn't like it?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #12
Razeal18

Welcome melly, Cant beleive another person loves Repo and Watchmen. COOL
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
Ben Lahnger

Hey, I loved Watchmen ... although I definitely understand all the purists who think the movie totally trashed the novel. But I take it on the level of a book that shouldn't have been able to even be made into a movie, and Zak Snyder did a much better job that what I was expecting. I can't wait to get the extended director's cut on Blu-Ray with all the Black Freighter scenes edited in. I expect that to get it a little closer to being what the book is.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
Melly

Anthony Stewart Head singing and removing organs, Paris Hilton and Sarah Brightman singing together, Ogre, Alexa Vega, it's truly a tale to behold. And Watchman is just fucking epic.

Although, Ben Lahnger, I completely understand and agree. Some books just seem... untouchable. Because of reputation or pure "how the hell can they do this on screen?" but Watchmen was surprisingly well done, unlike V for Vendetta or Kick Ass.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:25 AM   #15
The Divine Ms. M

You study serial killers like my friend, love Hans Christian Anderson & the brothers Grimm, Harry Potter & Nightmare b4 Xmas...I'm sold! Welcome!

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
The Divine Ms. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
Melly

Well thank you very much your divinity. =D Does your friend study them professionally?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 AM   #17
The Divine Ms. M

Your divinity? That's a new one...I love it! Lol. No, she doesn't study them proffesionally, she just does it for pleasure...due to that, I've come to have a slight interest in them myself. They're quite interesting no?

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked. "Oh you ca'n't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here."-from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

"A real friend will stab you in the front."-licence plate frame a friend & I saw
Please read My Blog!
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #18
TheFeatheredÆtheling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I didn't like Kill Bill. Then a friend told me it's supposed to have an anime aesthetic to its violence but with real characters.
I still didn't like Kill Bill.
Alan, I totally agree with you ~ for the first time ever. I detest Kill Bill (no offense to you, Melly), though I enjoy many vilolent anime such as Ninja Scroll, Crying Freeman, Hokuto no Ken, etc. It seems as though Terrantino and friends got together and said, "let's think of as many of the most dramatic ways to kill, main, and dismember a woman and put them together as a movie ~ we'll call it Kill Bill, and everyone will think that it's the most amazing thing ever".

A shock-horror revenge movie such as this may have seemed somewhat innovative at its time (because the general public wasn't quite jaded enough to enjoy it before that point), but the genre needs to die. Have any of you seen "Dexter"? Same sh!t. As long as the villains are evil enough, it doesn't matter how vile the "good" guy is. In this kind of movie, the hero is defined not by how good he is but by how bad his enemies are. The prevalence of such a morally vacuous mentality is a strong indicator of the degeneracy of Western culture. (What a mouthfull, eh?)

All in all, I hate Kill Bill.
TheFeatheredÆtheling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
Saya

I loved Kill Bill for its homage to spaghetti westerns. I love watching The Man With No Name trilogy with friends and they start seeing the similarities. They even took the music from the films! It was violent but yes in a very cartoony way, I'm usually very bad for gory movies but there's nothing in the Kill Bill movies that makes me squeamish. Its not shock horror.

And Bill, Vernita Green and O-ren weren't evil. Vernita was following orders and I didn't feel particularly good after she was killed, most people loved O-ren and Bill turned out to be kinda cool in the end. Psychotic, but not an inhuman monster. I think Elle was the only one completely unsympathetic, even Budd you felt bad for for where his life was when Black Mamba caught up with him.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #20
Melly

Haha, well I was feeling weird calling you Ms. M since there's a woman in my life that I call that, so "Divine" was the next word down. =D And they're terribly fascinating. I love figuring out how someone goes from "sane with a bit of trauma" to killing, and all because of one little moment.

No offense taken, Feathered, I completely understand what you're saying. I think that probably IS basically what Tarantino did. It's ridiculous, completely improbably and, Saya, you're right as well. Not all of them are such bad people. She just had a personal vendetta.
Both movies are done in major grandiose style, from the length to the scenes to sheer impossibility of that woman living through everything that happened to her.

I still like 'em though ^_^
Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #21
The Divine Ms. M

I hear 'ya Melly!

Please read My Blog!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #22
MiladyMalice

Which part of New York are you from?
MiladyMalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Melly

NYC, I'm not far from Manhattan. Yourself?
Old 07-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #24
MiladyMalice

Same. I live on the border of Brooklyn and Queens, but it would take me only 15 to 20 minutes by train to get to Manhattan.
MiladyMalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #25
Melly

Haha, awesome. Yeah, I just went back to your welcome post and saw you lived around here too. I'm in Brooklyn, close to Coney Island, so it takes me about 30 minutes to hit the first Manhattan stop.