Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
NachtSorcier

Any way to recreate this?

I dye my hair black every few months or so, as my hair is naturally dark brown and it would be very difficult to bleach it in order to dye it another color and I just don't want to risk it breaking off. It's about due for another dye job, but as it's faded, it's turned into a very subtle purplish-reddish color that I really like. It's never happened before and I don't know what caused it. Any ideas on how to make it happen again?

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Disposable Teen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
I dye my hair black every few months or so, as my hair is naturally dark brown and it would be very difficult to bleach it in order to dye it another color and I just don't want to risk it breaking off. It's about due for another dye job, but as it's faded, it's turned into a very subtle purplish-reddish color that I really like. It's never happened before and I don't know what caused it. Any ideas on how to make it happen again?
THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS TO ME! its like dark brown with red and purple highlights, the key is use really crappy dye lol
Disposable Teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
NachtSorcier

Yeah, I figured quality of dye was a factor, but I always use the same kind, L'Oreal Natural Match, and this never happened before.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
thedoll

Have you been swimming lately? Changed shampoo? Thats the only factors I could think to cause a redish purple tinge.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #5
NachtSorcier

Nope, haven't swam in several months (since before my last haircut) and I've been using the same shampoo and conditioner for over a year.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
kwaniesiam

What brand of dye do you use? The compounds of most black dyes are in essence a very concentrated purple and that could have been an overload of processing that caused it to absorb differently and fade. Red dye is orange in essence, which is why most chemical red dyes fade to orange so quickly and why temporary reds like manic panic typically fade to pink depending on their base.

On a side note, if you are sick of black dye, there is a product called Colorfix available at most Sally Beauty Supply stores and online that will lift the black coloring without the damage of bleach. It comes in an orange box and doesn't contain any ammonia or peroxide. I used this when I went from black to red (I use henna for my red).
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
NachtSorcier

L'Oreal Natural Match.

That stuff sounds interesting. Is it expensive? I'm not exactly sick of black, but I always wanted to experiment with other colors. It's not exactly sensible right now though, since I'm actively seeking employment.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
kwaniesiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
L'Oreal Natural Match.

That stuff sounds interesting. Is it expensive? I'm not exactly sick of black, but I always wanted to experiment with other colors. It's not exactly sensible right now though, since I'm actively seeking employment.
It runs about $13 a box. One box was enough for my bra-strap-length hair at the time, although my hair is on the thin, fine side.
kwaniesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #9
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaniesiam
It runs about $13 a box. One box was enough for my bra-strap-length hair at the time, although my hair is on the thin, fine side.
My hair is relatively short and thick, yet when I dye my hair I don't need to use all of the dye, so I'm not worried about that. Maybe someday when my job is secure I'll give it a shot.