Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #1376
lord of the lightbulb

my time to shine

i am a carpenter by trade i aslo love coth p.s im not your conventonal goth i.e im over 21 lol an not dead yet sorry had to add that im just a normal guy that loves gothic funiture and acitecture my girl how ever is a goth i have a list of things ive done i have a 6ft fish tank on a gothic english oak fish tank cabinet that i made myself all the shop ones where boring chipboard of mdf so NO good for me i will take a pic at some point to post also i have made a 4 poster bed i also sculpt with a two part epoxy putty called milliput great stuff and once done can be cast painted i have made goth handels for all my doors from it one thing ive learnt othere than how to spell ... is the golden rules of goth design which i will pass on .... goth dont have to be black everywhere that aint true goth you can paint a room bone white have everything white including your fabrics and its still goth goth is a theme as long as you have arches also reds greens and blues did you that lime green is the most used goth paint to be used ? the golden rule is this dont over do it gothic design is more about the feeling you get from the room i.e if your hair stands on end its modern goth if your jaw drops to the floor and your best mate has to close it thats the efect you want if you go with the traditonal, if you like modern goth then cool me im more of a pureist, i would never put a tomb stone in my design thats more vap than goth i like wooden arches and dark woods and vibrant walls i.e lime green trick is in the ageing of stuff when you paint a wall around the edging mix a slightly darker shade paint all the edges and with a damp rag smudge the paint into the edges this gives you shading also paint small cracks dont use a paint brush use a cocktail stick just chew the end 'point only' this will give you a real sharp line brushes tend to fold when using emulstions and as for your glossed areas use satin paints go a shade lighter not darker the best way to do this is colour matched paints I.e lime green is called indian ivy 4 in the uk use indian ivy5 on your doors windows and skirting boards ageing can be done on the wood works by adding a light brown wash as with all things remember the golden rule 'dont over do it' if you cant make your funiture then buy wisely true gotic is hard to find lookj at things you can change most ppl can use a jigsaw if not you will know someone who can use mdf (medium denserty fibreboard) draw arches like gothic church windows and stick them on with mastic glue then paint it once painted in the base add white to your paint then do what is called dry brushing .. put paint on a very large paint brush then lay off the paint on an old rag and lightly go over the base coat this makes it look like stone job done diy goth is cool the true meaning of anything gothic is ' how it makes you feel ' gothic is not just about being odd p.s not to offened anyone gothic started as white and dark woods with random flashes of green grey red and very little black mainly in wrought iron not painted on the walls p.s the feathers are one of the coolest things ive seen in a very long time hope this post helps all out there wanting to have gothic themed rooms p.s put gothic rooms in google images you will see what i mean you dont need a massive budget to make a massive impretion but in the same turn you dont need a massive budget to make a massive mistake
lord of the lightbulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #1377
Grausamkeit

Holy Hell....the spambots are writing wall-of-text, now.

...I've been accused of folly by a fool. ~Antigone

Grausamkeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #1378
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Wane View Post

I kind of wanted to keep its bones/skull, but IDK if I have it in me to gut it and everything... I'll probably just end up burying it in the yard, but is there a way to let it decay naturally and be able to clean/bleach the bones (and do it well) later?You know, without it being shrink-wrapped in bird jerky...
There's nothing disrespectful about it. It's not using it's body anymore, therefore the flesh and bone is left to whatever finds it, to use in the way it will use it.

You found it, so you use it how you wish.

In this case if you wish to get the bones from it, all you have to do is bury it. Nature will do the work for you. You don't have to gut the bird or remove anything at all. Just dig a hole about 12 inches deep , lay the bird in cover it over and mark the spot. Go back after 2 months, and dig carefully.

If there is still a lot of flesh remaining ( this will depend on the size of the bird and what sort of soil you have ) then cover it over and leave it another 2 months.

If there is only a little flesh remaining, dig up the bird completely ( wear gloves ) , and transfer all the parts to a bucket . Put the bird parts and bones in, and half fill the bucket with water. Change the water every week until it's only bones and no flesh.

After this, remove the bones and dry with paper towel. Then get an old cardboard box big enough to lay the bones in. I use a smallish shoebox.

You will need to make a mixture of cornmeal and bog standard cheap table salt ( or just salt if you prefer, both work fine )

Put a 1-2 cm layer in the bottom of the box, lay the bones in there, and pour another few cm on top covering the bones.

This will dry them out in the middle thoroughly.

I don't bleach bones so I can't tell you how that's done, though I did read a while ago that soaking them in bleach can make them very brittle . And bird bones are hollow, so by nature they are extremely brittle to begin with.

You could perhaps leave them out in the sun for a few months , which happens in dry and desert habitats. The bones found in such places are often naturally bleached .

TIPS - If you want to speed up decomposition,

Don't bury the body so deeply, and before covering it over, chuck a couple of handfulls of fishing maggots over it. They'll happily eat away and spped things up for you. Don't stamp the soil down over tha area, the resulting flies will need to escape.

Over the course of waiting for a body to decompose, I often pour the occasional couple of jugfulls of warm water over the area. Warmth and damp speed up decomposition.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #1379
wolf moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post
TIPS - If you want to speed up decomposition,

Don't bury the body so deeply, and before covering it over, chuck a couple of handfulls of fishing maggots over it. They'll happily eat away and spped things up for you. Don't stamp the soil down over tha area, the resulting flies will need to escape.

Over the course of waiting for a body to decompose, I often pour the occasional couple of jugfulls of warm water over the area. Warmth and damp speed up decomposition.
You are disturbing in the most wonderful way imaginable. You can, like, share my jump rope if you want.
wolf moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 AM   #1380
lord of the lightbulb

lmao me a spam bot ......... lol still at least you read it a lol

bleaching bones is a 'MUST' because of the highly toxic deadly micro bactor on the bones nature takes care of it buy constant washing by rain water over the years and the lack for subsance to sustain the bactor....

bleaching is simple remove all flesh with handy maggots just put all the bones in a plactic box with a lid add sand and maggots an leave it open the box daily to check it 'p.s' wear a mask coz it stinks .......

once the maggots have done the nasty hard work remove all the bones from the box ' use rubber or latex gloves '

put all the bones in a bucket of water and add loads of bleach
p.s not toilet bleach as this is not real bleach it is none amonia reactive bleach if it was normal bleach every time you had a pee you would be gased lol

leave for 3 days and repeat

then go to your local pet shop an buy aquarium declorinator about 200ml
add half to clean water chuck your bones in an leave for 2 days and repeat

job done pp.s still looks really cool though
Old 10-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #1381
lord of the lightbulb

as for the jump rope........... with out wanting to sound like a mass murderer make sure its a nilon para cord cheap ropes snap lmao...........
Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #1382
honeythorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord of the lightbulb View Post

then go to your local pet shop an buy aquarium declorinator about 200ml
add half to clean water chuck your bones in an leave for 2 days and repeat

D
Like the rest of your post, UTTER BOLLOCKS. Chick, I've been keeping fish for nearly 20 years. I can fucking promise you Dechlorinator does wonders for keeping fish alive and preventing chemical shock, but will do jack shit to bones.

Salt and thorough drying are all that is required. Bleaching will make the bones whiter, but as I said, will make them very very brittle and even more easily broken if they are fragile hollow bird bones.

Disease and parasites should not be able to transmit from dry, salted and cleaned bones ( that have taken months to do so ) to your skin.

Diseases that may have once lived on the animal when alive, would require a live host on which to continue existing. As long as you wear gloves or protect your skin from contact with the animal when you first obtain it, and thoroughly wash your hands and skin afterwards, you will contract no infections or diseases.

Any further worries could be solved by varnishing the bones when they have finished the drying process.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #1383
Grausamkeit

Don't take this the wrong way Honey, but your knowledge of bones is a turn on.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #1384
honeythorn

No wrongness taken You should see what I'm doing with a basic halfmoon multi section necklace from H&M, a 3 inch piece of sanded lavender wood, a Rat skull, pearl beads, various small bones and green feathers... I shall post it when I'm done. I'll be wearing it with that green ballgown I want , to the Labyrinth ball
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #1385
Grausamkeit

*w00t*

I can't wait to see that!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #1386
honeythorn

Rat skull necklace

Well now you can! I scrapped the green feathers for pheasant. Looks better. Sea fan makes great jewellery material !

Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #1387
carakitty

<--- *jawdop*

They're not DIY, but I'm going to put on my feather earrings in honor of this masterpiece.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #1388
Grausamkeit

Honey, you make the most amazing stuff! I am in awe of your eye for detail and your skill! Great job!

Old 10-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #1389
Solumina

Honey you should really think about setting up an online shop or something, you really have a knack for making impressive yet delicate pieces.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #1390
Xombie

To add on to Honeythorn's extremely informative bone cleaning how-to, I'll mention that I use hydrogen peroxide to whiten bones. If you can't get ahold of a high concentration peroxide, just use the 3% first aid stuff; put the bones in a microwave-safe container, pour in enough peroxide to submerge the bones, and stick it in the microwave for 2 minutes. If they're still not white enough, refill with new peroxide and do it again. :]
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #1391
Melusine

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn View Post

That's absolutely amazing!

The only DIY I've made so far are a couple of chokers, some bracelets and a few T-shirts I added words and pictures to. Nothing too big yet.
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #1392
Cosmicgaunt

Working on a vest.

Studded the front thus far, and I have sewn the prominent backpatch on...Waiting on an Iskra/Nuclear Death Terror patches from a mate to arrive though.
Dark petalled sensitive plants scuttle over carpets.
Black statuettes animate square heads firestokers.
Skewer me in flame.
~Nightgaunts
Cosmicgaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #1393
Acharis

Honeythorn, you now have me eyeing off birds on the footpath and wondering how to process their bones without the neighbours seeing me. Beautiful jewellery.

Now these are old pics of mine, and some of you have DEFINITELY seen them elsewhere as I've whored them around. Apologies for the deja vu.

But for those that haven't seen, a pic dump before I add any newer projects.

Acharis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #1394
Acharis

Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 AM   #1395
Miss Absynthe

Re: the bleaching bones discussion - I've boiled down bones in the past to removed tissue from them, but I've not done bird bones before and I imagine that they would be too delicate for boiling. I've also used a mixture of bicarb soda and vinegar to whiten them a little. It didn't make them gleam, but it did lighten the colour of them. I found this was far more gentle than using any sort of actual bleach.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #1396
Acharis

Thanks for the tips. I was thinking the maggots and loose soil solution.

But my main problem is how to get the body home, bury it and get maggots without anyone seeing what I'm doing or disturbing the bones. (I live in a block of flats, and you can't scratch your bum without the lot of them rubbernecking.)
Old 11-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #1397
Miss Absynthe

Newspaper and tupperware.

Put the tupperware container over the body, slide the paper under it and then lift it with the paper onto the tupperware lid. Keep the container upside down like this with the lid serving as a base, because flipping it up the right way will shake things around.

if anyone asks, you are picking up the body to throw it out because in your day the council used to provide services like cleaning up road kill because they took pride in the area but all of that has changed now with these new politicians... they don't understand what it is to live in a COMMUNITY... they think that it is enough to turn up to shopping center openings and kiss a few babies, they don't care about the actual people who live in the area... not like that nice young fellow who used to be mayor, what was his name? Remember? He had brown hair but it had a bit of red to it, and he had those lovely blue sparkling eyes. You could tell that he was truthful when he talked, not like these new politicians... they don't understand what it is to live in a COMMUNITY... they think that it is enough to turn up to shopping center openings and kiss a few babies, they don't care about the actual people who live in the area... not like that nice young fellow who used to be mayor, what was his name? Remember?...

By the end of the rant they will be so happy to get away from you that they won't remember what you had in the tupperware.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #1398
Acharis

Hehe, suggestions noted!

Hmmm... yes.. a definite sense of deja vu for some of you!

Old 11-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #1399
carakitty

Nowhere near as cool as some of the things you guys do but OMG I FINISHED THINGS tonight!

A headband for the Kitten:

And barrettes for meee! Kitten wants me to make her a matching set and I'm going to, but tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #1400
carakitty

Finished more things!
Braided barrette for the Kitten:

My feathers!