Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-25-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
Dead Cell

Hell

Well I got to thinking and hell seems a place to me that would accept me. What do you guys and girls think of hell? I know it is toture. But what for sadomasicists?
Dead Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Mick Ignis

Every cool person I’ve ever heard of is likely in Hell, so I’m all for it.

I'm an atheist however. From a fictional stand point, Satan and Hell is way more interesting than God and Heaven.
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
Pyre

Honestly, I don't think that Hell is all fire and brimstone as they say. If Lucifer was a rebel and was sent to reign over hell, would he really wish to punish other rebels? I am sure many are truly punished, and many go far beyond just being rebels, but for others who simply don't follow the Christian faith but are still good people, should they really be forced to suffer for eternity for being nonbelievers? I don't think so, so in my opinion, Hell is a very diverse place. Sure, no one is being privileged by any means, but I don't believe that they all endure punishment.

That is a brief synopsis of my idea of Hell.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
DarkHeartedDemoness

What makes you think hell is torture?

Also, let's pretend the whole God/Satan/Heaven/Hell thing is real... So, assuming that it's real, wouldn't God/Satan/Whomever know that people have sadomasochistic urges? And wouldn't they compensate accordingly?
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Dead Cell

Nice. I used to, and to some extent still believe, that hell is what you make hell. So if you believe that hell is drowning always then that will be your hell. But I like your synopsis Pyre
Old 11-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
Mick Ignis

Being that Satan IS a rebel who hates God, wouldn't he rather make Hell desirable rather than torturous?

Think about it, why would he create a world of torture that threatens people to worship God? That’s playing directly into God’s hands. I believe that the Morningstar would build a fun, enjoyable paradise for the godless sinners, creating his own heaven and proving God to be meaningless. All this torture nonsense we hear so much about is probably just holy propaganda in the fight for human souls.
Mick Ignis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
DarkHeartedDemoness

So, I must be ridiculously old, or something... Although I'm actually just 20. Anyway, the title makes me thing of Hell Is For Children by Pat Benetar.
If ruff it was of dame
Or shroud of gnome,
Himself, himself inform.
Of immortality
His strategy
Was physiognomy.

--Emily Dickinson
DarkHeartedDemoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Pyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Ignis
Being that Satan IS a rebel who hates God, wouldn't he rather make Hell desirable rather than torturous?

Think about it, why would he create a world of torture that threatens people to worship God? That’s playing directly into God’s hands. I believe that the Morningstar would build a fun, enjoyable paradise for the godless sinners, creating his own heaven and proving God to be meaningless. All this torture nonsense we hear so much about is probably just holy propaganda in the fight for human souls.
Lucifer never hated God, he was just tired of following His orders all the time. But yes, that was the point that I was also bringing to light. I don't necessarily believe it the same as you, because I don't think Satan would ever welcome in a murderer or rapist as his equal, but simply being a rebel doesn't deserve a tortured existence.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, let's not romanticize Satan.
If you're an atheist like me, you know he doesn't exist. If you believe in God and the Devil, you know he's evil.
Anyway, from my 17 years of both Catholic and Christian teachings, let me tell you that in none of the Abrahamic religions does the devil reign over Hell.
That's a bastardization of the story.
And now to Hell itself:
In the Catholic religion, Hell IS physical punishment which goes beyond sexual pleasures.
In the Christian view, Hell is not physical punishment, but a privation of God. Hell is not a punishing, but a punishment. The toruous part of Hell is knowing there was a God and you'll never meet him.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
the_ink_bleeds_faster

I've always pictured Hell as a burning place for bad people who've been deceased. This "Satan" Is just like the king of it all in my eyes. And plus, I think that I'd be headed towards there when I die, I've done some naughty things in my semi-short past.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #11
Minyaliel

My view on the matter can best be illustrated by this old Taoist tale:

Once upon a time, a man with a certain military bearing approached the Zen master Hakuin and asked: "Master, do Heaven and Hell actually exist?"

The master wanted to answer in the affirmative, but knew that this would give the man a false impression. In all likelihood the man operated under the mundane paradigm that Heaven and Hell exist as places for souls in the afterlife. The master knew what he must do to break through that false preconception.

"What is your occupation?" He asked.

"I'm a general." This explained the military bearing about him.

The master burst out laughing. "What idiot would ask you to command an army? You look more like a butcher to me!"

This enraged the general. With a roar he drew his sword. He could cut down this defenseless old man in an instant.

"Here lie the gates of Hell," said the master. These simple words stopped the powerful general dead in his tracks.

Realization flooded in. The general sudden understood that the master had risked his life in order to teach him a great truth in the most effective way imaginable.

"Forgive me, master, for what I was able to do." He felt all at once gratitude, amazement, and shame.
"Here lie the gates of Heaven," said the master.

(source: Taoism.net)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #12
c130

Well... we know and dislike sadness because we can compare it to happiness. Without one, the other doesn't work. So an eternity of pain and torture is a broken concept imo. You'd just get used to it after a while. Then they'd have to put you in heaven for a year or so then bring you back and torture you some more, and that's all getting a bit complicated.

Satan's real. So's the toothfairy.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #13
dark_dragon_of_ice

http://lds-mormon.com/lucifer.shtml This is a quite interesting link.
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:53 PM   #14
She_Is_My_Sin

I have a feeling that if there is a hell & I go to it, it would be a mix of the moments in my life I have despised most:

*Having an illness which caused me to throw up anything I ate.

*Taking a long bus journey to my friend's house whilst being sat at a funny angle (it really messed my head up for a few days)

*The karaoke night on a trip to Belgium, in which I was forced to snort various condiments & sing.

*spending an entire night awake due to my neighbour having a rather heated argument with a delivery guy & playing Bon Jovi & Britney Spears at full blast.

I can't wait.

0_0
She_Is_My_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
Rizash

didnt read all the posts, but I've studied (very lightly) just about every religion out there.... I think god (in whatever form he/she/it exists) is just mind blowingly cool.... I honestly believe that even if you're the worst person on the planet, lets say you kill a million people with your own hands.... I can see it being forgiveable. "Evil" is something mankind created to til the balance of power and create a "left" and "right" side to society so he can disagree with someone, and draw a line in the sand as to start a fight. Frankly if you see something as a problem, or defect that is part of our nature (we're all flawed) then the problem goes away, since you can help fix the problem, not intensify the pain for that person who is different from you. (sorry about bad sentance structure)
Rizash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:47 PM   #16
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I have always believed that what you believe is where you will go. And what you believe it will be like, is what it will be like. So if you think Hell is some place where you will be eternally punished and it's made up of flames, then that's what it will be like.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #17
Godslayer Jillian

Heaven is an eternal orgasm.
Hell is an eternal kick in the balls.
There's no science to it.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:14 PM   #18
roserougesang

That was brilliant!

Permission to put it on my signature?
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Godslayer Jillian

Only with the proper authorship.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #20
roserougesang

Naturally, my dear sir.
No greater love than mine.
-Annie Lennox, Love Song For A Vampire-

Rouge Z. Hatter has FINALLY returned to Gnet!
roserougesang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #21
BlackButterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Heaven is an eternal orgasm.
Hell is an eternal kick in the balls.
There's no science to it.
GOLD!!!

Jillian is a genius!

I'm putting that on a t-shirt, with your user name as the author... I just have to find a suitable font...
According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #22
Godslayer Jillian

Haha, no!
I was already thinking of that!
I have three T-shirts that I want to do:
-That one
-One with my coat of arms
-One with the count of Sesame Street flipping you off shouting "Count This!!"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 PM   #23
kenwheeler

when i am cast down to Hell i will kick Satan in the balls and steal his throne.
kenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #24
BlackButterfly

OK, I'll let you do it first, since it was your idea...

...and the Count one is hilarious too! (My boyfriend would actually like that one...)

According to an article in USA Today, children from single parent homes have much better verbal skills than children from two parent homes. However, children from two parent homes are far superior at bitterly sarcastic repertoire.

I'd love to see crowds of kids running away from a greased naked guy with Jesus hair.--
c130
BlackButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 AM   #25
Dead Cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
-One with the count of Sesame Street flipping you off shouting "Count This!!"
That is fucking genius.