Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Anarasha

Hairspray VS Deoderant

I know, this seems sick, paranoid and just plain wrong. Up until tonight, I would've agreed that it wasn't nescessary.
But my brother and I were assaulted by complete strangers tonight, and even though they didn't touch me, he took quite a beating.
Now, I reached the conclusion that it is time I can take care of the people whom I walk with, so I thought of several non-lethal, non-violent solutions as to defensive weaponry. I refuse to carry a knife, knuckle irons or baseball bats as that is just really extreme, and very violent.
So, I thought of pepperspray, but unfortunately, carrying that is illegal in Denmark. So I was thinking creative along the lines of hairspray and deoderant.
I was wondering if either of the two can result in permanent eye damage to eventual "victims", and if you have any other ideas. (stun guns are illegal too)
I know, it's extreme, but it seems nescessary.. But I will not see any harm come to my friends or my family again.
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Solumina

I would imagine that hairspray would do the trick but shouldn't cause any real lasting problems, spray deodorant most likely would, either way you should be careful about it because using it could count as assault.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
Anarasha

I agree, but if they hit me first, I suppose it would be... creative self-defence?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Pastamancer

I'd start carrying something too if I were you because I'd feel the same way if someone was attacked while I was with them.

I imagine hairspray to be capable of less serious damage. I imagine spray deodorant has more ingredients than hair spray which means more of a chance for some ingredient to do serious damage. If you kept sand in your pockets you could throw it into someone's eyes. Sand would be great because it doesn't take up much space in your pockets. I threw sand into someone's eye as a child and it didn't do any lasting harm.

I can't really think of anything else you could use that would be easy to carry around. The only things I think of for a defense would break the non-violent thing you want. A really loud blow horn would probably just make whoever angrier unless you could get so close to their ear that they would fall down with pain.
Pastamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Zerachiel

Hmm...I would say the hairspray, because I've actually witnessed someone get sprayed in the yes with it, it's quite a sight to be honest.
Zerachiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #6
Still Jack

No, don't use hairspray or deodorant, I recommend high pigment graffiti cans with fat caps.
I mean, if they attack you without reason, they're looking for shit right? So why not leave some lasting damage. I recommend neon colors, or maybe chrome, they contain extra nasties and dry quicker. If you want to be a right dick to them, liberally apply a lighter to the spray.

Also, you can cause considerable damage with a sharpened pencil, or ballpoint pen. Newspapers make millwall bricks, car antennas make whips and truncheons, rocks make great coshs, Wallet chains and a bandana make something similar to brass knuckles.

I may sound like a violent maniac now, but life's hard, attacks aren't as uncommon as you might think. You have to fight back to not become a regular target.
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
Knight in Shining Armour

Even if pepper spray were legal I wouldn't suggest using it. There's an extreme chance that you'd get it on yourself, and, despite how it's characterized to only harm the assailants eyes, it burns your skin and lungs as well, and can cause rupturing of certain blood vessels.
My friends and I were unlucky enough to get a taste of it at an anime convention last weekend.

Hairspray works well. I've used it before as a weapon, and, if you get the metal cans of it, it can be used as a bludgeon. Honestly, though, anything can be used as a weapon if you're creative enough.

I suggest reevaluating your priorities when it comes to self defense. When it is a 'you or them' type of situation, your going to have to forget nonviolent and do what you have to. You can't be lenient towards those aiming to physically harm you.

If they hit you, you knock them the fuck out.
(excuse my language)
Knight in Shining Armour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 AM   #8
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
One thing I've heard an officer recommend is holding onto a keychain and putting the keys in between your fingers as sort of spiked knuckles, I don't know about it's effectiveness but since an officer recommended it I have little doubt it's legal.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Anarasha

Well, my problem is my pacifistic point of view. As Ghandi said, "An eye for an eye leaves us all blind."
So I really just want to be able to spray them and walk away. But of course, I will physically defend myself if needed.
But the guy last night was quite a lot taller than me and looked like he had been using steroids regularly(few are that well-trained without them) for some time.
So even if I would've, I couldn't have taken him. My brother split his lip, though.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
honeythorn

I have an idea for a so called weapon you could carry without people realising it, due to it's decorative nature, but it would go against your pacifist views anyway.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
Minyaliel

Ummm... that's what spiked chokers are for, right? Honestly, I'm a pacifist too, but I have been forced in a few extreme situations, to defend myself. I once beat up a guy who tried to assault me with an umbrella (the old fashioned kind) until I could get away and get some assistance. I would never just leave someone in the street, though. That is purely irresponsible. If you're really serious about your pacifism, start learning aikido (pressure points etc. It will temporarily paralyse someone, but not harm them.)
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
Anarasha

honeythorn, do tell anyway. I am a pacifist, but I am not stupid. I need ways to defend myself... violent or not...
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
honeythorn

A small Obsidian blade pendant, just a couple of inches is all you need. In the right sheath, such as fine worked metal ( filligree would be pretty ) with a blunt point on the outside, it can look like just another piece of jewellery.

Obsidian can cut deer hide better than a scalpel. I've seen it done ( on tv but still, it worked ) . Some surgeons are starting ( experimentally still if I recall correctly ) to use obsidian scalpels instead of steel now, as it gives a much finer inscision and can result in less scarring.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Anarasha

Well, I am not looking for anything lethal or permanently damaging. But if it hurts, that is okay.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #15
honeythorn

Thinking about it, a swipe with an obsidian blade probably wouldn't hurt that much. The edge would be too fine. A slight sting is possibly the worst they'd feel depending on where you swiped them. But a fair bit of blood may occurr.

I think a small can of hairspray is your easiest and most innocuous option.

I on the other hand, have now seen some reproduction ( in style ) obsidian arrowheads on ebay....They'd have to come from the US...but oh my gods am I tempted. Such pretty, sharp jewellery I would have! :-D
Old 05-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #16
Anarasha

Yeah, I'm just not sure a swipe of a blade would stop them. But it'd get me in jail I'm afraid.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #17
honeythorn

Perhaps. Anyway, go with the hairspray. It's cheap and easy. And when walking home at night you can shove it up your sleeve or in a pocket ready to use.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #18
Solumina

Gah now I really, really want a small little obsidian dagger. Honey why must you give me a new object to lust over?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
Duane

Get one of those reractable rods Apathy or Malice talk about carrying around. If what they say is true, not many people will stick around after unleash it.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #20
Haunted House

A studded wristband can double as a form of brass knuckles. Less effective, but I'd imagine it would still hurt like hell. Thats what I'd do. I also have a belt that's got a bunch of heavy O rings and chains on it. Swinging that around may just make an attacker turn and run. It's good because you just wear them, but if you're attacked or think you may be attacked you can just remove/adjust them and you've got defense.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #21
Anarasha

The key thing was brilliant. Also, I'm looking for the more shady connections in my country to dust up a stungun. That one will bring a guy to his knees.
And my Trenchcoat has 3 pockets on the inside. Two regular ones and a small one, practical for cell phones, but after shoving hairspray in there, I am inclined to believe it was sewn for pepperspray AND cellphones.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Don't bother with anything martial arts related unless you actually have the time to invest into making it halfway decent, also you need a little "killing intent" to make sure things hit right.

The best defense is staying away from danger and out of sight.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
Anarasha

That is true. But this recent attack happened about 20 meters away from home or so
Old 05-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
Duane

Another thing, don't keep hitting the attacker/s, use the solitary moment that they are stunned are reeling from your attack, run off as fast as you can. Don't let vengeance over come you.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #25
Anarasha

Exactly, Duane. Those are my words exactly.