Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #26
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagirl
I’m more into Punk/Oi than anything else actually, but some hardcore too (and some metal, industrial, dark wave, reggae, etc….I guess I’m pretty eclectic) and a lot of these bands are local-ish, not so well known bands. I would say my favorites are:

Social Distortion, Bad Religion, the Partisans, Dag Nasty, Subhumans (the British band, NOT the Canadian Subhumans), Misfits, D.I.R.T., Naked Aggression, Mankind?, the Germs, Defiance (the older stuff), Violent Society, Toxic Narcotic, the Adicts, Cocksparrer, Conflict, Wretched Ones, Anti-Heroes, Broken Heroes, Oxymoron, Barfight, Antidote, Black Flag, Warzone, The Pist, the Templars, The Business, Oxblood, Blitz, Stiff Little Fingers, the Exploited, Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Threats, Main Street Saints, the Bruisers, One Way System, Bad Brains, Agnostic Front, Blood for Blood, Sheer Terror, The Trouble, Minor Threat, the Nerve Agents, Striking Distance, Fed Up!, Worn Thin, the Boils, Sweet Poison, the Midnight Creeps, the Krays, the Goons, Set to Explode, the Aftermath, Antagonizers, Pug Uglies….sheesh, I guess I had better stop before I get too out of control, haha!

I’m actually going to be up in Pennsylvania this weekend for the East Coast Oi! Fest...and keeping my fingers crossed there won't be much of a bonehead presence there...although, being in Allentown is a bad sign in and of itself.

Also, anyone hear about the new movie coming out about the Germs? I’ve definitely got to see it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384683/
If they tried to have an Oi festival around here there would be a ton of Nazi skins showing up. For some reason the Nazi skin movement is making a comback in the Northwest.

I like a lot of the bands that you listed. I got really drunk and wandered around Hollywood with Violent Society and they are really cool guys. I still have the sticker they gave me on the back of my car.

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #27
chelseagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorgirl
If they tried to have an Oi festival around here there would be a ton of Nazi skins showing up. For some reason the Nazi skin movement is making a comback in the Northwest.

I like a lot of the bands that you listed. I got really drunk and wandered around Hollywood with Violent Society and they are really cool guys. I still have the sticker they gave me on the back of my car.
That really sucks it's coming back in the Northwest. It's always had a pretty big stronghold in Pennsylvania, unfortunately. I saw Conflict play in some strange small Pennsylvania town, and nazi skins showed up and started a big rucus. On another occasion a few years back, a bunch of them ran into the club I was in and threw some kind of tear gas inside. I can't even remember what band was playing that night. I'm a bit worried about the oi fest, especially since my fiance is in one of the bands playing, and we are getting married next month, AND he has the unfortunate luck of ususally getting sucked into a fight when it happens. I'm hoping he doesn't end up with a black eye/nose, or even worse, for our wedding. It seems like everywhere the Wretches Ones play, trouble follows. It's a violent world.
chelseagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #28
horrorgirl

Quote:
That really sucks it's coming back in the Northwest. It's always had a pretty big stronghold in Pennsylvania, unfortunately. I saw Conflict play in some strange small Pennsylvania town, and nazi skins showed up and started a big rucus. On another occasion a few years back, a bunch of them ran into the club I was in and threw some kind of tear gas inside. I can't even remember what band was playing that night. I'm a bit worried about the oi fest, especially since my fiance is in one of the bands playing, and we are getting married next month, AND he has the unfortunate luck of ususally getting sucked into a fight when it happens. I'm hoping he doesn't end up with a black eye/nose, or even worse, for our wedding. It seems like everywhere the Wretches Ones play, trouble follows. It's a violent world.
Nazi skins are having a rally on Washington state's capital steps on July 3rd, and I plan on going so that I can protest them. There will proably only be ten of them and 300 protesters. HA!

Old 04-24-2006, 11:19 AM   #29
Draconysius

I love the original Misfits, the Smiths, Dead Kennedys, Subhumans, and the Ramones.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #30
pitseleh

The Smiths?! Dude, I dig you for liking them, but they have nothing to do with punk or hardcore.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #31
dreamydancer

Ditto.
"I am human and I need to be loved" does not strike most people as punk.

I'd have to say Siouxsie and the Banshees is as punk as I'll get. For the most part I can't stand hardcore punk music.

~Clan of Xymox
dreamydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #32
Loy

Pitseleh-I tossed in the Brothers because A-they're one of the best bands out there, period, and B-they're always getting tossed into the whole "hardcore" genre. I actually would never insult them by calling them a hardcore band since they, you know, are unique.

My problem with most "hardcore" is that everytime I hear a band toting that line, I think "wow, this sounds like old Corrosion Of conformity, except, not good...." That, plus the whole reason why I left that movement in the first place-any group that requires I not listen to specific groups because it would make me verbotten isn't worth my time. I see these kids running around with the X's on their hands and just think "can't you guys do your OWN thing rather than copy something that's over 10 years old already?"

And don't you be ripping on the Spits, man! I'll give them your address and send him over after downing 8 bottles of Jaegermeister each. Don't think I won't!

But hell, I prefer the New Kids On The Block over the Dropkick Murphys, so what do I know, right?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #33
Pathogen.

Quote:
Nazi skins are having a rally on Washington state's capital steps on July 3rd, and I plan on going so that I can protest them. There will proably only be ten of them and 300 protesters. HA!
HORRORGIRL: I so wish I could go to this! Seriously! However, geography, lack of funds & lack of transportation prevent me from doing so. Still, here's some words of encouragement from a Black Anarchist Goth who helped interrupt a Minutemen Project rally on the steps of the Cali State Capitol last Fall: Hope you shut that Nazi rally the fuck down! Fascism, whether it's from the State or from far-right White supremacists, will not be tolerated.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #34
pitseleh

Hey Loy, I wasn't dissing The Spits at all! If you check again, you'd see I wrote that I got respect for them, and that it was the last two of those four bands I mentioned that I didn't like. Just to clear that up. Not that I'd mind having them over, all ripped on Jäger and shit, even though it would cost you big time to get them over on the plane. Plus they'd probably go apeshit up in the air and have to be put in jail when they stopped at Heathrow or something.

And as for all that scene-shit and narrowminded edge kids, I don't really have to deal with that where I am, since I'm basically the only one here into obscure hardcore/what have you. So that doesn't taint my appreciation of the music one iota.

I still maintain there's a lot of good post-hardcore around these days, aside from The Blood Brothers. It may not sound anything like the bands of old, but fuck that. Things change.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #35
Pathogen.

LOY: I like Straight Edge [the music, the macho, homophobic, forceful & violent subculture AND the X-fisted people that make up/represent that subculture] as much as Horrorgirl likes Gothic: NOT AT ALL. So that's 1 thing that I can agree with you on.

My favourite Punk bands:

*Nausea.
*Aus Rotten.
*His Hero Is Gone.
*Tragedy.
*From Ashes Rise.
*The Dream Is Dead.
*Black Flag [how original, right?].
*Great British Heroes.
*Subhumans.
*Bad Brains [if you could get past the fact that they're homophobic as hell].
*Fishbone [ditto--Punk mixed with Ska, Gospel & other musical forms].
*24-7 Spyz [another all-Black Punk band form the late 1980s-early 1990s].
*Dirt.
*Crass ["Do they owe us a living?/Of course they do!/Of course they do!"].
*Conflict.
*Wasted Youth.
*Dirty Rotten Imbeciles ["I lose, you win <5 times>/I lose, again/But you're on my 5-year plan!!"].
*Detestation [old 1990s Portland Political Punk band with angry female vocals].
*Agnostic Front [if you could get past the working-class conservative U.$. flag worship--at least they're not racist].
*Minor Threat [Ian MacKaye's best work ever!].
*Amebix.
*Behind Enemy Lines.
*Resist & Exist.
*Contravene.
*Against Empire.
*Local San Francisco Bay Area Crust Punk bands [Blown To Bits, Strung Up, Myth Of Progress, Born Dead, Desolation <R.I.P.>].
*Circle Jerks ["Group Sex" is still their best album!].

I'd put down more, but I'd bore the hell out of y'all! I may be a Goth now, but I'm still a Punk at heart!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #36
Binkie

Quote:
Their live version of Joy Division's Day Of The Lords sent goosebumps down my spine.
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
edit: Forgot The Damned! Thanks Binkster.
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loy
the Spits
\m/

...that'll be all.
"[Brian Blair] was a punk. I can break his fucking back - break his back and make him humble and then fuck his ass ... Suplex him, put him in a camel clutch, break his back, and fuck his ass - make him humble. Teach him to respect the Iron Sheik. And I didn't do it, because for the God and Jesus, and Mr. McMahon." -Khosrow Vaziri (The Iron Sheik)
Binkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:04 AM   #37
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
LOY: I like Straight Edge [the music, the macho, homophobic, forceful & violent subculture AND the X-fisted people that make up/represent that subculture] as much as Horrorgirl likes Gothic: NOT AT ALL. So that's 1 thing that I can agree with you on.

My favourite Punk bands:

*Nausea.
*Aus Rotten.
*His Hero Is Gone.
*Tragedy.
*From Ashes Rise.
*The Dream Is Dead.
*Black Flag [how original, right?].
*Great British Heroes.
*Subhumans.
*Bad Brains [if you could get past the fact that they're homophobic as hell].
*Fishbone [ditto--Punk mixed with Ska, Gospel & other musical forms].
*24-7 Spyz [another all-Black Punk band form the late 1980s-early 1990s].
*Dirt.
*Crass ["Do they owe us a living?/Of course they do!/Of course they do!"].
*Conflict.
*Wasted Youth.
*Dirty Rotten Imbeciles ["I lose, you win <5 times>/I lose, again/But you're on my 5-year plan!!"].
*Detestation [old 1990s Portland Political Punk band with angry female vocals].
*Agnostic Front [if you could get past the working-class conservative U.$. flag worship--at least they're not racist].
*Minor Threat [Ian MacKaye's best work ever!].
*Amebix.
*Behind Enemy Lines.
*Resist & Exist.
*Contravene.
*Against Empire.
*Local San Francisco Bay Area Crust Punk bands [Blown To Bits, Strung Up, Myth Of Progress, Born Dead, Desolation <R.I.P.>].
*Circle Jerks ["Group Sex" is still their best album!].

I'd put down more, but I'd bore the hell out of y'all! I may be a Goth now, but I'm still a Punk at heart!
When I lived in the Bay Area I knew the drummer of Born Dead. My ex-boyfriend( total immature idiot) was in Oppressed Logic, who suck an awful lot. Do you like STFU? I knew Jeff the bass player. In fact I knew him way back in 90 and then ran into him again in 2001. He's a really cool guy and a really great bass player. I haven't kept in touch with anybody so they have all probably forgotten about me. *sobs* Back in the day I used to love Econochrist( used to be from east bay). I had a 16 year old shirt of theirs until recently. If I ever get the scanner connected to my computer I will post a picture of me in that shirt and with a devilock. :-)

Old 04-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #38
horrorgirl

Quote:
HORRORGIRL: I so wish I could go to this! Seriously! However, geography, lack of funds & lack of transportation prevent me from doing so. Still, here's some words of encouragement from a Black Anarchist Goth who helped interrupt a Minutemen Project rally on the steps of the Cali State Capitol last Fall: Hope you shut that Nazi rally the fuck down! Fascism, whether it's from the State or from far-right White supremacists, will not be tolerated.
I'm going to ask for the day off from work to go. I can't stand those ignorant idiots. Olympia has got to be one of the most liberal areas of the country and those morons are trying to get a foothold here again. During the late 80's there were a lot of nazi skins in the Bay Area, and most of them lived in Castro Valley. They all left there in the early 90's and moved to Portland and up here. My boyfriend told me about how some nazi skins beat a punk to death up here around 15 years ago and that there is still tension over it.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:56 AM   #39
chelseagirl

Quote:

When I lived in Memphis years ago...probably around 1997/1998...I went to a protest of a Klan rally, and there were some nazi skin groups with them too. It ended very badly. It erupted into a riot. I got teargassed by police while I was just trying to get the heck out of there. People were breaking all the windows in the stores downtown, looting, etc. Even a car got flipped over. I was there with some anti-racist skins, who were attacked by people who thought they were racist (despite all the anit-racist patches on their jackets and the fact that one of them was black). It was a complete debacle. It made no sense to me that people were going around destroying their own city because they were mad at the racists holding a rally. In the end, I think the racists were happy with what happened. The protesters that destroyed stuff made us all look like a bunch of animals. That was the last protest I ever went to. The racists plan these rallys just so they can get a reaction. I choose to just not pay attention to the rallys anymore, they're just a bunch of idiots...literally.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #40
horrorgirl

Quote:
When I lived in Memphis years ago...probably around 1997/1998...I went to a protest of a Klan rally, and there were some nazi skin groups with them too. It ended very badly. It erupted into a riot. I got teargassed by police while I was just trying to get the heck out of there. People were breaking all the windows in the stores downtown, looting, etc. Even a car got flipped over. I was there with some anti-racist skins, who were attacked by people who thought they were racist (despite all the anit-racist patches on their jackets and the fact that one of them was black). It was a complete debacle. It made no sense to me that people were going around destroying their own city because they were mad at the racists holding a rally. In the end, I think the racists were happy with what happened. The protesters that destroyed stuff made us all look like a bunch of animals. That was the last protest I ever went to. The racists plan these rallys just so they can get a reaction. I choose to just not pay attention to the rallys anymore, they're just a bunch of idiots...literally.
This town is so full of hippies that I can't imagine anything like that happening here. When I go I will be wearing my steel toe boots...just in case.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 AM   #41
chelseagirl

Quote:

My favourite Punk bands:

*His Hero Is Gone.
*Tragedy.

I knew those guys when I lived in Memphis in the late 90's. Todd is the only one I really remember much though, he was a genuinely nice guy. I remember him moving out to Portland with Tragedy, and I've never seen him since. God, Memphis was so lame, I was so glad to get the heck away from there. Todd worked at the ONLY good record store in like a 50 mile radius...I can't even remember what the store was called. I think I have drank too much in my lifetime and it's seriously effected my memory, haha. I do remember him having the most amazing pale blue eyes, I could get lost staring in them.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:50 PM   #42
Pathogen.

Quote:
When I lived in the Bay Area I knew the drummer of Born Dead. My ex-boyfriend( total immature idiot) was in Oppressed Logic, who suck an awful lot. Do you like STFU? I knew Jeff the bass player. In fact I knew him way back in 90 and then ran into him again in 2001. He's a really cool guy and a really great bass player. I haven't kept in touch with anybody so they have all probably forgotten about me. *sobs* Back in the day I used to love Econochrist( used to be from east bay). I had a 16 year old shirt of theirs until recently. If I ever get the scanner connected to my computer I will post a picture of me in that shirt and with a devilock. :-)
HORRORGIRL: First off. Oppressed Logic STILL HELLA SUCK! Second, Econochrist were the shit back in the 199os & it was a damn shame that I never got to see them live; I still lived in southeastern Virginia at the time the 'Christ were together. "Purge" & "1-Sided Story" are still my favourite songs by them. Third, Shut The Fuck Up kicks ass!! Saw them live at least 2 dozen times for the past 3 years I've been in the S.F. Bay Area. Fourth, Bill [the bald drummer] was the only person from the old incarnation of Born Dead I ever knew & gotten along with.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #43
Pathogen.

Quote:
HORRORGIRL: Those same kind of idiots that Chelseagirl mentioned in her last post staged an anti-immigrant rally on the California State Capitol steps this past Saturday. A group calling themselves the "National Socialist Movement" [ain't nothing Socialist about them] sponsored this anti-immigrant rally. For more details about what went down, click here:

http://www.indybay.org/news/2006/04/1817164.php

In the face of all this street-level Fascist activity that's been happening lately, there have been a few people brave enough to take anti-Fascism actions 1 step further. In New Zealand, there was a 19-year old woman I met through another messageboard that I'm on who had recently infiltrated the National Front in Auckland. Among her anti-White supremacist endeavours was getting 2 teenaged male N.F. members arrested. Since then, the National Front Nazis had put the word out on her throughout the Internet on various White supremacist/Fascist websites. Here's a link to 1 with my new online friend's story:

http://leftywatch.blogspot.com/2005/...artington.html

I fear that her life may be in danger because of this. At the same time, it was for a good, legitimate cause; obtaining information about Fascist groups, their activities & their key members right down to their racist beliefs. That way, anti-racist/anti-Fascists can anticipate all of this & crush the neo-Nazi menace wherever it may be.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #44
Loy

Pitseleh-I know you weren't ripping into them, I just figured it'd be funny for me to tell Sean "Hey, this dude from Europe says the Spits suck!", then give him and the crew 8 bottles of Jaeger each, plane tickets, and your address...heh...And remember-I know how bad they get when they drink!

Binkie-I know, I know, the Spits are the greatest punk band in the world. Heh. \m/
Old 04-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #45
horrorgirl

Quote:
HORRORGIRL: First off. Oppressed Logic STILL HELLA SUCK! Second, Econochrist were the shit back in the 199os & it was a damn shame that I never got to see them live; I still lived in southeastern Virginia at the time the 'Christ were together. "Purge" & "1-Sided Story" are still my favourite songs by them. Third, Shut The Fuck Up kicks ass!! Saw them live at least 2 dozen times for the past 3 years I've been in the S.F. Bay Area. Fourth, Bill [the bald drummer] was the only person from the old incarnation of Born Dead I ever knew & gotten along with.
Wow....we've known the same person! It's a small world! It's nice to know that Oppressed Logic still suck. Mike, the singer, is a total asshole who of course is from L.A..
He writes some of the shittiest lyrics that I have ever heard. His wife,who used to play bass in the band, is a toal rumour monger. I really dislike those people.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #46
horrorgirl

Quote:
HORRORGIRL: Those same kind of idiots that Chelseagirl mentioned in her last post staged an anti-immigrant rally on the California State Capitol steps this past Saturday. A group calling themselves the "National Socialist Movement" [ain't nothing Socialist about them] sponsored this anti-immigrant rally. For more details about what went down, click here:

http://www.indybay.org/news/2006/04/1817164.php

In the face of all this street-level Fascist activity that's been happening lately, there have been a few people brave enough to take anti-Fascism actions 1 step further. In New Zealand, there was a 19-year old woman I met through another messageboard that I'm on who had recently infiltrated the National Front in Auckland. Among her anti-White supremacist endeavours was getting 2 teenaged male N.F. members arrested. Since then, the National Front Nazis had put the word out on her throughout the Internet on various White supremacist/Fascist websites. Here's a link to 1 with my new online friend's story:

http://leftywatch.blogspot.com/2005/...artington.html

I fear that her life may be in danger because of this. At the same time, it was for a good, legitimate cause; obtaining information about Fascist groups, their activities & their key members right down to their racist beliefs. That way, anti-racist/anti-Fascists can anticipate all of this & crush the neo-Nazi menace wherever it may be.
Good for her that she had the balls to do that! Don't those idiot Nazi's realize that they are increminating(sp?) themselves when they threaten her with violence online. Idiots...all of them.

So...they are calling themselves socialists now? HA!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #47
Virulent Dryad

Punk bands....

Ok some aren't punk per se

Velvet Underground
Bikini Kill
Sourpuss
The Distillers
Le Tigre
Social Distortion
NOFX (gosh they are so cheesy)
hmm there's more but my feeble brain has gone dead. I'm off to have it resurrected.
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #48
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virulent Dryad
Punk bands....

Ok some aren't punk per se

Velvet Underground
Bikini Kill
Sourpuss
The Distillers
Le Tigre
Social Distortion
NOFX (gosh they are so cheesy)
hmm there's more but my feeble brain has gone dead. I'm off to have it resurrected.
I said NO pop punk bands!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!! Brody, from the Distillers, is nothing but a corporate whore. First her ex,Armstrong, groomed her to become some sort of punk sex symbol. Dressed her in bondage pants and wrote music for her. Then the SECOND she divorced him she ditched her 'look' and signed to a major label. Instead of having her own identity she lets others dictate to her what she looks like and how her music sounds. Not very 'punk' if you ask me. I have no respect for her or Armstrong.

Social Distortion rocks, so maybe I will forgive you.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #49
Niels

hm... I'm not really into punkrock, but Sex Pistols are very ok. And The Pixies, but they are not really punk, I guess...

btw, what is a typical 'Oi' band? (I could easily wiki it, but I'm to lazy...:P)
Old 04-27-2006, 05:17 AM   #50
Virulent Dryad

Quote:
I said NO pop punk bands!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!! Brody, from the Distillers, is nothing but a corporate whore. First her ex,Armstrong, groomed her to become some sort of punk sex symbol. Dressed her in bondage pants and wrote music for her. Then the SECOND she divorced him she ditched her 'look' and signed to a major label. Instead of having her own identity she lets others dictate to her what she looks like and how her music sounds. Not very 'punk' if you ask me. I have no respect for her or Armstrong.

Social Distortion rocks, so maybe I will forgive you.
Fascinating, there's a bit of history I was unaware of. Anyway, I apologise for the corporate whore, punk has never been too big for me. I hardly listen to it to begin with.
Virulent Dryad is offline   Reply With Quote