Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #4951
Versus

Yeah. I just sort of stopped. I'm not really sure why or how.

And then I grew some muscles and flexed a lot.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #4952
Class-Punk

Fuck everyone who calls the Pontiac Sunfire a chick car.
Class-Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #4953
Miss Absynthe

@Versus - I'm glad that you stopped.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #4954
Fruitbat

MissA - your marble counting sounds similar to a meditation. To calm the mind and centre your thoughts et al.

Never cut to self harm - but sure have done it in a ton of other ways. No wonder I never win lotto, I've used up my luck.

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #4955
BourbonBoy

I used to cut, but I've found getting a tattoo every so often to be a better solution.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #4956
Versus

What kind of tattoos?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #4957
BourbonBoy

Depends. One is a solid piece and the other two are tribal. I tend to design my own body art and get a new one every few years. I have my next design ready it's just a matter of finding the right tattoo shop.
BourbonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #4958
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
MissA - your marble counting sounds similar to a meditation. To calm the mind and centre your thoughts et al.
It's all founded on the same processes. The idea is that you develop a positive trance state instead of the negative one that's usually associated with acute anxiety. Learning to police my emotional states is one of the biggest lessons I'm working on, and turning out to be one of the most effective things that I'm learning to help with everything.

There are a lot of tricks that I use which pretty much are different ways to bring about the same thing. I find that I dissociate very quickly when I'm faced with an acute stressor, and staying attached to my physicality is something that's important in those situations (although, I think that this dissociative ability is also the reason that I'm really effective as a trauma nurse).

Tapping my sternum to remind me to breath slower, tugging my hair, tensing and relaxing different muscle groups works really well. If it's night time and I'm trying to sleep then cuffing my wrist or ankle to the bed settles me a lot. They are all things that connect me to my body.

I think that learning yoga was a really big step in moving forward as well, and recommend it to anyone who has problems with anxiety, especially PTSD.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #4959
Miss Absynthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonBoy View Post
I used to cut, but I've found getting a tattoo every so often to be a better solution.
I worked really hard to make sure that my body mods (permanent and temporary) aren't motivated by the same psychology as the self-harm stuff... but in saying that, I do find that the desire to cut drops right back after I have some work done. I think it has to do with the connection that I feel to my physical self after those times.

The most amazing was after the first time I had my eyelids sutured closed - that was like an epiphany, not only didn't I want to cut, but it was the first time that I wanted to change things so that I would stop it on a permanent basis.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #4960
Versus

I told Saya that I was drunk and could not give consent. She made out with me anyway. D:

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #4961
Miss Absynthe

SAYA!!!! :o
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #4962
Saya

By make out he meant like three pecks and a hug! Then he followed me around for a few hours saying NOT CONSENT if I got within a foot of him.

Also we're adorable when we brush our teeth together. That is all.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #4963
Versus

No, she forced herself on me.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #4964
Solumina

Someone should have followed you two around with a camera.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #4965
Miss Absynthe

Do you two get to spend time together often?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #4966
Solumina

I have no idea why but my friend sent me a link to this and I'm really confused. I'm honestly not even sure if I would be much less confused if I understood Japanese.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #4967
CuckooTuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya View Post
By make out he meant like three pecks and a hug! Then he followed me around for a few hours saying NOT CONSENT if I got within a foot of him.
I can so picture this, and it makes me lol.
"Friends are allowed to make mistakes. The enemy is not allowed to make mistakes because his whole existence is a mistake, and we suffer from it. But the women's liberation front and gay liberation front are our friends, they are our potential allies, and we need as many allies as possible.” - Huey Newton
CuckooTuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #4968
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
Do you two get to spend time together often?
Not often, but he's worth the wait.

I took him to The Rooms, which is basically a museum and art gallery rolled into one, and we gawked at this giant squid carcass. Like I want to go in again to gawk at it some more and ponder what cruel god would create such a thing.

Anyway, I was like "This reminds me of the alien autopsy..." and he finished "from Independence Day!" And I knew he was the one.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #4969
Miss Absynthe

That has to be the most romantic thing I've ever heard. :|
Old 11-15-2012, 02:18 AM   #4970
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Absynthe View Post
It's all founded on the same processes. The idea is that you develop a positive trance state instead of the negative one that's usually associated with acute anxiety. Learning to police my emotional states is one of the biggest lessons I'm working on, and turning out to be one of the most effective things that I'm learning to help with everything.

There are a lot of tricks that I use which pretty much are different ways to bring about the same thing. I find that I dissociate very quickly when I'm faced with an acute stressor, and staying attached to my physicality is something that's important in those situations (although, I think that this dissociative ability is also the reason that I'm really effective as a trauma nurse).

Tapping my sternum to remind me to breath slower, tugging my hair, tensing and relaxing different muscle groups works really well. If it's night time and I'm trying to sleep then cuffing my wrist or ankle to the bed settles me a lot. They are all things that connect me to my body.

I think that learning yoga was a really big step in moving forward as well, and recommend it to anyone who has problems with anxiety, especially PTSD.
Have you done any CBT or EMDR? Yoga Nidra is good to connect you to your body, where you tense then relax each part of your body? I love Yoga.

What helpd the most with PTSD was changing my perceptions and perspective on things - trying to see events from the other person's side, because if I hadn't, I would have torn myself apart a long time ago. Instead now I run around with gaffa tape, mending the breaks.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:53 AM   #4971
Miss Absynthe

I've done bits and pieces of CBT, mainly things that I've picked up myself along the way.. and I find it very helpful. I enjoy the discipline involved in it. The thing that I'm concentrating on at the moment is the negative internal dialogue.. which is hard. I never realised how freaking often I say bad things about myself.

I haven't tried EMDR, I'm reading about it now and it looks quite interesting. Thank you for mentioning it.

I found that keeping a thought diary helped with looking at things from another person's side - listing what the conflict was, what I perceived the issues to be, and then writing down a few alternate scenarios.

I love yoga as well.. there is actually a person who developed a specific style of trauma relief yoga after seeing the differences in the ways that children and adults dealt with trauma. He noticed that kids used their bodies and sort of stretched through their emotions, where as the adults sort of physically locked down tightly.

I really enjoy yoga nidra as well. I've only done an unguided meditation once and that was really a bad idea - but anything that is guided works so well.

The other thing that I'm finding that is helping it all is exercising. I've lost over 50kg (still more to go, though) in the last year, and the other week I ran 10km for the first time. I've only been running for about 6 months, so I think that 10km is fairly good.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #4972
Fruitbat

Ohh congrats on the weightloss and the health improvements. 10km - that's awesome!

EMDR was pretty cool, although the flicking pen can be annoying and it's hard to get into the zone.

Oh the negative internal dialogue is hard to fix isn't it? It's so easy to believe the things that other people say about you - like they reinforce your own self doubts, and then everything snowballs. It does take quite a lot of mindfullness to get out of that cycle and shift gears into a more positive view, and then it's a heck of a lot of work to stay positive initially, until it becomes a habit.

A friend said to me once, that you can either chose to be cynical and have a miserable life, or you can chose to be happy and have a wonderful life.

One of the hardest things I've done was forgiving and actually loving those who have harmed me. Especially when all I wanted to do was cause them as much physical pain as they had caused me mentally/emotionally, then one day I just let it all go, because the only person I was hurting was myself, and i was so very tired of all that crap.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #4973
Versus

Saya has a phobia of cold hands. Seriously, she recoils in fear more then finding an ear wig in her bed.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:31 PM   #4974
Miss Absynthe

I hate it when ear wigs have cold hands.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #4975
MissCheyenne

Kitten is settling in fine, eating, drinking and cleaning itself. It really doesn't like being left alone though, it wants to sit on my knee ALL the time.

I am your slice of pie
MissCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote