Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Graveyard.Crow

beginner or not beginner opera singers

I was wondering if there is any beginner or not so beginner opera singers here. If there is I would like for you all to share some singing tips like new ways to warm up the voice or anything else you have found useful. I know to a lot of people this thread might be a bit on the boring side but for those of us who have this interest, the thread could be very rewarding.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Graveyard.Crow

I guess no luck for me here
Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 PM   #3
KontanKarite

Green tea with honey is supposed to be good for your throat. Lemon juice is supposed to be good too. Don't smoke and don't scream. I know a singer who can't sing anymore because of screaming.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Graveyard.Crow

What about coffee? does that have any more effect.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
KontanKarite

I doubt it.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
xmorpheus

Gargling (not swallowing) port is one I've used before - particularly if I'm singing in the morning (weddings etc.).

However, do not drink it for 2 reasons. 1. it's going to be full of yuk after gargling. 2. Harder to drink when pissed.

I'd also recommend mouthwash or mints - you don't want to be reeking of booze.

It's a trick I got from my dad and it does work - no idea why.

The other thing is to warm up. Singing is like using any other muscle - don't go into it cold. I generally just sing along with the radio or a CD - doesn't have to be opera, just something to get your voice warmed up.

I know a few people that use scales etc., but I find it a lot easier to actually sing a song than sing scales. Mind you, I'm not a professional and I don't do a lot of singing these days.

Totally agree on the smoking. I've gone from a soprano to a mezzo soprano in the last 10 years which know is because of the fags (cigarettes to our transatlantic cousins! )
xmorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:02 AM   #7
Cyntrox

I can't help you, but I know that there are quite a few singers here...
Old 02-27-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
xmorpheus

that should, of course, have said "harder to sing when pissed"
Old 02-27-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Graveyard.Crow

Hehe now speaking of voice changing
I'm young right now so I have a higher younger voice and I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure there is no way I can be a mezzo soprano just yet. Is it possible that ones my voice is more mature it will change to a mezzo? I don't really want it to but I want to know if it happens when you get older.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmorpheus
Gargling (not swallowing) port is one I've used before - particularly if I'm singing in the morning (weddings etc.).

However, do not drink it for 2 reasons. 1. it's going to be full of yuk after gargling. 2. Harder to drink when pissed.

I'd also recommend mouthwash or mints - you don't want to be reeking of booze.

It's a trick I got from my dad and it does work - no idea why.

The other thing is to warm up. Singing is like using any other muscle - don't go into it cold. I generally just sing along with the radio or a CD - doesn't have to be opera, just something to get your voice warmed up.

I know a few people that use scales etc., but I find it a lot easier to actually sing a song than sing scales. Mind you, I'm not a professional and I don't do a lot of singing these days.

Totally agree on the smoking. I've gone from a soprano to a mezzo soprano in the last 10 years which know is because of the fags (cigarettes to our transatlantic cousins! )
wouldn't gargaling any kind of liqur help with sore throat? also I heard vinegar and stuff.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
xmorpheus

GC, to be honest, it really depends. Boys' voices break; girls' voices mature.

What I would say is that if you're serious about your music:
  1. Try to get involved with a choir - it's a great way of exercising your voice without putting too much strain on it and a good free way to learn singing techniques. It's also a lot of fun.
  2. If you smoke, stop now. If you don't smoke, don't start!
  3. If you can afford singing lessons, they're worth doing - and a professional teacher will give you a good idea of how your voice is likely to mature
  4. Stay in practice. Singing is like anything else - if you don't use it, you lose it! But don't overstrain your voice. Practice regularly but not to the extent that you're giving yourself a sore throat.

I guess gargling with anything would work - i think someone already said honey and lemon. Salt water works on a sore throat, but I'm not sure if it's any good for the voice!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
Graveyard.Crow

Oh yeah defenetly joining choir
Old 03-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Lynn377

I can give you my two cents if ya want. I've been singing since a very young age, not pro or anything, mind you. My family was rather musical and my mother has the voice of an angel, soprano. She encouraged my singing for, god, as long as I can remember. But I have been a choir geek since elementary school. When I was in high school, I was in advanced choir and was considered a mezzo soprano, it was also sometimes referred to as second soprano, I think. The particulars are a bit fuzzy. But for me to actually hit the soprano notes I really had to work at it. If I didn't exercise my voice properly, I could only hit high alto. I think that if you are atleast in your late teens, your voice pretty much is what it is going to be. Aleast that is,how it was in my case. I preferred scales for pratice and warm ups, it made it easier to tell where my voice was in relation to where I wanted it to be. I was vain, if it wasn't soprano, it wasn't good enough for me. Well, this has turned into quite a long post. Sorry for rambling, hope I was of some help.
Lynn377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #14
xmorpheus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn377
I was vain, if it wasn't soprano, it wasn't good enough for me.
Yeah you're not alone there. I was the same. These days I'm quite happy being a mezzo - I can sing pretty much anything I want bar collaratura which I was never much good at anyway - and I think mezzo has a much richer timbre than soprano.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 AM   #15
Minyaliel

Why didn't I see this before... oh, haven't been here for a long time. Well, GC, I'm an opera singer, and studying to become a pro. With a handful of operas behind me and more concerts than I could count, I have one piece of advice for you, that was also given to me many, many years ago: get yourself a good vocals teacher. Only thing that really helps. For warm- ups etc, there's a book you might want to check out: "Singing for Dummies". Great book for newbies, but should only be used as a supplement to taking lessons.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote